• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Severe sore hock - advice needed

I've just been to see him!!! ������

I got lots of kisses and fed him treats and a bag of parsley.

He still has a little to learn in the sense that he was trying to stand tall just on his back leg and was wobbling. He can get around fine, slowly, but actually he's coping well.

Xx

Great news! Keep it up Shadow.

Shadow's home 😀😀😀😀

I'm so happy to have him back where he belongs.

I'll post some pics in the daylight tomorrow xx

I think this is one of the most of the most inspirational threads ever. I can't wait to see photos of your brave soldier x

Shadow's home ��������

I'm so happy to have him back where he belongs.

I'll post some pics in the daylight tomorrow xx

Brilliant news! Look forward to seeing photos of your precious boy and hope he continues to make great progress.

Shadow is doing great, thanks.

I'm still unbelievably impressed at how well he's coped. He's getting around faster than before.

He's great at moving in his cage and on the grass and slabs. He is slower on the uneven gravel but all in all I couldn't be happier with him.

I'm even thinking of bonding with Cara. Although, I need to keep reminding myself that he is a 6.5 year old 3 legged conti and she's a bright 8 month old energetic lady so I'm still only at the thinking stage. Having said that, they groom each other through their enclosures and snuggle side by side so I think it would work. 😀

Lxxx

I'm still unbelievably impressed at how well he's coped. He's getting around faster than before.

He's great at moving in his cage and on the grass and slabs. He is slower on the uneven gravel but all in all I couldn't be happier with him.

I'm even thinking of bonding with Cara. Although, I need to keep reminding myself that he is a 6.5 year old 3 legged conti and she's a bright 8 month old energetic lady so I'm still only at the thinking stage. Having said that, they groom each other through their enclosures and snuggle side by side so I think it would work. ��

Lxxx

Brilliant news. How is his other back foot doing? It would be great to be able to bond him with Cara - is she the pale coloured Conti in the photo?

I'm even thinking of bonding with Cara. Although, I need to keep reminding myself that he is a 6.5 year old 3 legged conti and she's a bright 8 month old energetic lady so I'm still only at the thinking stage. Having said that, they groom each other through their enclosures and snuggle side by side so I think it would work. 😀

Lxxx

Lea this is wonderful :)

I can see this would look like a bond that would work - I have not found age any deterrent, or size :D

Cara is the lighter conti in the photo. They're constantly together so I'm optimistic. I can't really believe that just a matter of weeks ago I was struggling with the decision of amputation or pets. The amputation was the best decision ever and only taken because there were no other options.

Shadow's remaining foot/leg is looking good. He is still and will remain in his enclosure with the padded floor. This is base of yoga mats covered in a sheet, then 2 heavy blankets on top of each other. It's soft enough to sleep in. Just trying to preserve his remaining leg.

My vet bandaged it initially after his op and gave him some padding for the same reason but after 2 weeks he didn't need it.

Xx

Cara is the lighter conti in the photo. They're constantly together so I'm optimistic. I can't really believe that just a matter of weeks ago I was struggling with the decision of amputation or pets. The amputation was the best decision ever and only taken because there were no other options.

Shadow's remaining foot/leg is looking good. He is still and will remain in his enclosure with the padded floor. This is base of yoga mats covered in a sheet, then 2 heavy blankets on top of each other. It's soft enough to sleep in. Just trying to preserve his remaining leg.

My vet bandaged it initially after his op and gave him some padding for the same reason but after 2 weeks he didn't need it.

Xx

Your idea of yoga matting, blankets and sheets is very good. I will remember that for sore hocks in the future!

Thanks for updating - I am glad Shadow is doing so well :D

Back