• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Severe sore hock - advice needed

Thanks for the replies. I'm still not convinced of what to do on Monday.
I saw Shadow's x-ray at the vets and he's worn away part of his bone. My vet thinks there must be some nerve damage so he's not feeling the pain as she can't find another reason as to why he's still bright and eating etc.

Unfortunately the bone can't be left so Monday really is decision day.

At the moment I'm leaning more towards trying the operation because if it doesn't work then the result will be the same as opting to pts straight away.

My doubts are he's old for a conti and I'm really worried he'll wake up in pain and panic and not be able to recover so then his last days alive will be bad rather than happy.

It's too hard :(

Lxx

I saw Shadow's x-ray at the vets and he's worn away part of his bone. My vet thinks there must be some nerve damage so he's not feeling the pain as she can't find another reason as to why he's still bright and eating etc.

At the moment I'm leaning more towards trying the operation because if it doesn't work then the result will be the same as opting to pts straight away.

My doubts are he's old for a conti and I'm really worried he'll wake up in pain and panic and not be able to recover so then his last days alive will be bad rather than happy.

Lxx

Oh Lea, you're right, it really is too hard :cry:

What a very sad situation to be in. I shall be thinking of you and willing you to know what's the right thing to do for Shadow.

Love and hugs xx

Lxx

Yes it's so so difficult to know what to do for the best for Shadow. Really hope you can see the best way forward and your vet's visit tomorrow and sending you both loads of vibes.

Sending you loads of vibes for your vet's visit tomorrow. I think you know Shadow better than anyone else and you will therefore have more of an idea what he could tolerate after an operation.

Thanks all.

I went ahead with the operation and he survived! I have cried most of the day, dropping him off was horrible as was waiting for the phone to ring.

He took a long time to come round from the anesthetic which was another big worry.

However, the big test will be to see how he does overnight and if he starts eating on his own etc.

Apparently he can move well and ate some treats.

Fingers, toes and everything else possible crossed that he makes it!! Xx

Thanks all.

I went ahead with the operation and he survived! I have cried most of the day, dropping him off was horrible as was waiting for the phone to ring.

He took a long time to come round from the anesthetic which was another big worry.

However, the big test will be to see how he does overnight and if he starts eating on his own etc.

Apparently he can move well and ate some treats.

Fingers, toes and everything else possible crossed that he makes it!! Xx

Oh Lea, I'm so glad you posted! I was wondering how you both got on.

Loads of lovely vibes for a wonderful overnight recovery and thank goodness he's OK at the moment :D

Bless him :love:

Really hope Shadow is doing well today after his op. Rupert, our severe sore hock Conti, also sends his special bunny good wishes. You are both very brave and deserve every success.

Thanks all for the kind thoughts.

Shadow ate overnight! 😀😀😀 not as much as usual but he's going in the right direction.

He was out for a run in the vets today. They said he was a little tired at points but he is coping well.

He's in for another night, fingers crossed he's even better tomorrow.

I'm amazed at how he seems to be coping. I really thought this was the end for him. On paper, a 6.5 year old conti getting his leg amputated has terrible odds of recovering quickly and doing well. However, so far so good.

Xx

Thanks all for the kind thoughts.

Shadow ate overnight! 😀😀😀 not as much as usual but he's going in the right direction.

He was out for a run in the vets today. They said he was a little tired at points but he is coping well.

He's in for another night, fingers crossed he's even better tomorrow.

I'm amazed at how he seems to be coping. I really thought this was the end for him. On paper, a 6.5 year old conti getting his leg amputated has terrible odds of recovering quickly and doing well. However, so far so good.

Xx

Continued vibes for Shadow! Every day he wakes up happy is a bonus :D

What a special bunny. I'm so pleased you gave him this chance. Everything crossed he continues to make good progress

I've just been to see him!!! 😀😀😀

I got lots of kisses and fed him treats and a bag of parsley.

He still has a little to learn in the sense that he was trying to stand tall just on his back leg and was wobbling. He can get around fine, slowly, but actually he's coping well.

Xx

I've just been to see him!!! ������

He still has a little to learn in the sense that he was trying to stand tall just on his back leg and was wobbling. He can get around fine, slowly, but actually he's coping well.

Xx

He sounds like he is doing brilliantly :love: When will you have him home, any indication yet?

I've just been to see him!!! 😀😀😀

Xx

Wow what a brave little man :love:

Back