• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rudy, U/D ...the end...

Having a bunny who has been on metacam for bone pain most of his life, and knowing that the time is drawing near when something has to be decided, I sympathize with you and Rudy. I hope he can have as much comfortable time as is possible for him. I know it must be incredibly hard for you to deal with. (((((((((((Huge hugs)))))))))) xxxx

I hope that Rudy has had a comfortable night and that you are managing to keep your head above water. Still thinking of you xx

Just had to check in again and leave a few more (((((Hugs))))) because I don't think I put enough here before for you both.

I hope your dear Rudy is doing okay, and you too. I know words don't really help at a time like this, but I do have some idea what you're going through and I'm sending lots of vibes your way for peace and strength. xxxxxxx

Me and the buns are sending you and Rudy some positive vibes. May pain meds and supportive care give you and Rudy much more time together.

Thanks for the continuing support everybody, it means so much. Rudy is such a soft, soppy boy, I'm spending much more time with him now and he really enjoys the snuggles.

He was in "loaf" position a few times in the last 24 hours, which I'm taking to mean he's more comfortable on the metacam, however he wasn't particularly greedy for his pellets this morning, nor especially for the coriander last night. Difficult to know for sure how he is. I haven't seen the x-rays of his chest yet, they need to be compared to the previous ones yet to see what's changed since October. He breathing doesn't seem to have got any worse. His energy levels seem appropriate for a c10 year old rabbit.

Thanks for the continuing support everybody, it means so much. Rudy is such a soft, soppy boy, I'm spending much more time with him now and he really enjoys the snuggles.

He was in "loaf" position a few times in the last 24 hours, which I'm taking to mean he's more comfortable on the metacam, however he wasn't particularly greedy for his pellets this morning, nor especially for the coriander last night. Difficult to know for sure how he is. I haven't seen the x-rays of his chest yet, they need to be compared to the previous ones yet to see what's changed since October. He breathing doesn't seem to have got any worse. His energy levels seem appropriate for a c10 year old rabbit.
I'm glad he seems comfortable, I am sure he is enjoying all the love :love: topping up the vibes and hugs xx

He sounds to be reasonably comfy at the moment :) My 'terminal' Bunnies always seem to prefer grass above anything else. Not sure if Rudy may fancy some of that ?

I'm glad to hear Rudy is "loafing" :D, I always enjoy seeing when my boys can stretch out because I can assume they are comfortable.
I've had Mimzy on metacam daily since he was three for early onset arthritis, Fiver has only recently been taking it regularly for his, but I noticed he was having stomach discomfort and stopped eating as much, so the vet prescribed famotidine and ranitidine in the last few months (the ranitidine comes in mint whereas the famotidine was only liver flavoured, so Fiver is more cooperative with ranitidine) to help assuage any stomach acid problems he could be having from the metacam. It seemed to help him a great deal. I'm not sure how long Rudy has had metacam but I wonder if it could be irritating his tummy? It really shouldn't, but I found it odd that Mimzy has been on it for 7 years without incident (I swear he has a cast iron stomach) and Fiver only a few years and already he's had trouble with it. This is probably not Rudy's issue but I thought I'd mention it. I think I would always use some kind of antacid now to support the gut when using NSAIDs.

I hope Rudy continues to be well and happy. He sounds like a real trooper. :) xxxx

Thanks again everybody for the input. very much appreciated.

He sounds to be reasonably comfy at the moment :) My 'terminal' Bunnies always seem to prefer grass above anything else. Not sure if Rudy may fancy some of that ?

Yes, he does enjoy grass. He's enjoying parsley/coriander when offered other than that one occasion when he wasn't quite so enthusiastic.

I'm trying to collect fresh forage as much as possible for him, but from my own garden only as I'm very aware that he is now not protected from RHD2 as hasn't had the booster:cry:

Sadly, I've had no further news about the x-rays and it will be Thursday now before I hear anything...

I'm glad to hear Rudy is "loafing" :D, I always enjoy seeing when my boys can stretch out because I can assume they are comfortable.
I've had Mimzy on metacam daily since he was three for early onset arthritis, Fiver has only recently been taking it regularly for his, but I noticed he was having stomach discomfort and stopped eating as much, so the vet prescribed famotidine and ranitidine in the last few months (the ranitidine comes in mint whereas the famotidine was only liver flavoured, so Fiver is more cooperative with ranitidine) to help assuage any stomach acid problems he could be having from the metacam. It seemed to help him a great deal. I'm not sure how long Rudy has had metacam but I wonder if it could be irritating his tummy? It really shouldn't, but I found it odd that Mimzy has been on it for 7 years without incident (I swear he has a cast iron stomach) and Fiver only a few years and already he's had trouble with it. This is probably not Rudy's issue but I thought I'd mention it. I think I would always use some kind of antacid now to support the gut when using NSAIDs.

I hope Rudy continues to be well and happy. He sounds like a real trooper. :) xxxx

Thanks for this. I hadn't thought of it. Artie was on Ranitidine as well as Metacam in his last few months, though that was partly as his appetite was poor, not so much with Rudy but definitely worth a mention.

Thanks again everybody for the input. very much appreciated.

Yes, he does enjoy grass. He's enjoying parsley/coriander when offered other than that one occasion when he wasn't quite so enthusiastic.

I'm trying to collect fresh forage as much as possible for him, but from my own garden only as I'm very aware that he is now not protected from RHD2 as hasn't had the booster:cry:

Sadly, I've had no further news about the x-rays and it will be Thursday now before I hear anything...

Even if he were to have had the Filavac booster he may not have a good immune response to it. We dont know for certain that the duration of immunity is only 6 months so he probably still has some immunity from the first vaccine. I hope that you will hear from the Vets re the Xray tomorrow. Sending more nose rubs for Rudy :love:

Even if he were to have had the Filavac booster he may not have a good immune response to it. We dont know for certain that the duration of immunity is only 6 months so he probably still has some immunity from the first vaccine. I hope that you will hear from the Vets re the Xray tomorrow. Sending more nose rubs for Rudy :love:

Thanks.

Sadly, Rudy didn't have Filovac during the summer, he was one of the lucky few to get Cunivak in January/February last year, so it's 13 months since he has Cunivak.

Thanks.

Sadly, Rudy didn't have Filovac during the summer, he was one of the lucky few to get Cunivak in January/February last year, so it's 13 months since he has Cunivak.

Try not to worry (yes, I know.................), your very Rabbit savvy Vets would not advise against vaccination if they thought Rudy was well enough to receive it.
I hope that the little chap has had a good day today xx

Try not to worry (yes, I know.................), your very Rabbit savvy Vets would not advise against vaccination if they thought Rudy was well enough to receive it.
I hope that the little chap has had a good day today xx

I've made the decision myself not to vaccinate, mainly based on at that time I thought the journey would be enough to give him a major setback. I actually have a feeling if FHB was still his vet she would be in favour of vaccinating. She vaccinated Artie at a similar life stage, though there may be different implications with cancer v kidney failure.

I've just taken some pictures of Rudy laid with his legs out behind him in a sunbeam :love: I think we can say, right this moment he is happy and content.

I've made the decision myself not to vaccinate, mainly based on at that time I thought the journey would be enough to give him a major setback. I actually have a feeling if FHB was still his vet she would be in favour of vaccinating. She vaccinated Artie at a similar life stage, though there may be different implications with cancer v kidney failure.

I've just taken some pictures of Rudy laid with his legs out behind him in a sunbeam :love: I think we can say, right this moment he is happy and content.

Bless :love: can he send a few sunbeams down south please !!

I know we had such a dilemma here about giving Lord H the Filivac due to his chronic problems and the fact that he had a really bad reaction to his last Nobivac. It was only a couple of weeks ago that we took the risk after a confirmed case of RHD2 in an ARC Bunny. Sometimes it feels as though we are damned if we do vaccinate and damned if we dont :?

:love:

Back