• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is using two brands of pellets an issue?

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I have a newly bonded trio, but didn't take into account that two of them have Harringtons pellets and one has Science Selective.

They have been eating each other's food, seemingly without issue and they all seem to enjoy both.

I have lots of both brands left to use. Would it be a problem to carry on, or is it bad for them to have more than one type?

Thanks x

Hi all,

I have a newly bonded trio, but didn't take into account that two of them have Harringtons pellets and one has Science Selective.

They have been eating each other's food, seemingly without issue and they all seem to enjoy both.

I have lots of both brands left to use. Would it be a problem to carry on, or is it bad for them to have more than one type?

Thanks x

I don't believe so. I currently have several brands on the go, because as bunnies come in they are on different stuff. A few pellets of another brand won't hurt them :D

I never rely on a single brand of food for any of my animals. Sometimes a regular brand just isn't available, or the recipe changes and they won't eat it if they always get the 'same' one. I just find it easier / safer to have a couple that I can fall back on and the animals are less fussy as well. As long as the whole diet is balanced, I see no problem. For rabbits, the main part of the diet should be grass / hay, with pellets only forming a small overall proportion of the diet.

The rabbits get a mix of the 2 main pellet brands - partly for the same reason yours do. The guineas get several types mixed, so do the dogs.

It'll be fine - keep going until you're low and if you want to swap them to one brand you can do it later down the line when the bag you want rid of is almost empty :)

Hi, I'm feeding Harringtons Optimum and Jollyes pellets which are coloured pink and yellow. All my buns over the years have really liked the Jollyes long pellets. It's easier to serve up a mix because when you adopt rescue buns, I think the rescues feed a mix as there's often no way knowing what buns have been fed on prior to rescue. My buns also have sweetheart cabbage, herbs and the occasional slice of apple.

Back