• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Increased urine output

Azucena

Alpha Buck
Hi,

For the past couple of days the newspaper has been soaked through in the litter tray of Rose and Humphrey (whereas there are normally some dry patches), and while they (or one of them) have been drinking more water due to the hot weather (I'm guessing), I decided to feel under both of their undersides, and Humphrey was dry but some urine went on my hand when I checked Rose.. I attempted to pick her up to check and got scratched for the pleasure without a real chance to properly look, although her fur around the immediate looked to not be the bright white of the rest of her coat. Could this be due to sitting in the wet litter tray? Is this combined with the excess urine and drinking cause for concern?

She has a vet appointment in the morning for her vaccination and a check up.

Thanks.

Hi,

For the past couple of days the newspaper has been soaked through in the litter tray of Rose and Humphrey (whereas there are normally some dry patches), and while they (or one of them) have been drinking more water due to the hot weather (I'm guessing), I decided to feel under both of their undersides, and Humphrey was dry but some urine went on my hand when I checked Rose.. I attempted to pick her up to check and got scratched for the pleasure without a real chance to properly look, although her fur around the immediate looked to not be the bright white of the rest of her coat. Could this be due to sitting in the wet litter tray? Is this combined with the excess urine and drinking cause for concern?

Thanks.

I am glad that she will be seen by a Vet tomorrow as increased drinking/urine output is something that needs to be looked into.

I would try to have a proper check of her underside as if she is urine soiled she will be at very high risk of Flystrike and Urine scald.

Is Rosie maintaining her weight ? Is she eating normally ?

I am glad that she will be seen by a Vet tomorrow as increased drinking/urine output is something that needs to be looked into.

I would try to have a proper check of her underside as if she is urine soiled she will be at very high risk of Flystrike and Urine scald.

Is Rosie maintaining her weight ? Is she eating normally ?

She is unfortunately impossible for me to handle. From what I saw she didn't seem to be soiled but she has quite long hair (for a short haired rabbit) around there that seemed 'urine dipped'. I did watch her clean herself but without being able to look properly it's hard to tell if I just caught her before she'd rectified the problem herself.

She does seem to be maintaining her weight (and has always been much less slight than Humphrey), and is eating normally. They don't seem as keen on this new batch of hay I got from the Hay for Pets - they are eating it, just not as extensively. Rose will eat the lion share of a letter guard turned hay rack really stuffed with hay, but I must admit this new batch doesn't seem too brilliant quality compared to the previous.

She is unfortunately impossible for me to handle. From what I saw she didn't seem to be soiled but she has quite long hair (for a short haired rabbit) around there that seemed 'urine dipped'. I did watch her clean herself but without being able to look properly it's hard to tell if I just caught her before she'd rectified the problem herself.

She does seem to be maintaining her weight (and has always been much less slight than Humphrey), and is eating normally. They don't seem as keen on this new batch of hay I got from the Hay for Pets - they are eating it, just not as extensively. Rose will eat the lion share of a letter guard turned hay rack really stuffed with hay, but I must admit this new batch doesn't seem too brilliant quality compared to the previous.

Well hopefully the Vet will be able to address any problems Rosie may have when she examines her tomorrow. The Vet will need to make certain that Rosie is fit and well in order to give her her vaccination.

Well hopefully the Vet will be able to address any problems Rosie may have when she examines her tomorrow. The Vet will need to make certain that Rosie is fit and well in order to give her her vaccination.

Thank you for your help.
Just managed to hold Rose without her struggling (I stood up instead of my usual near-the-floor-incase-she-jumps) which she seemed to prefer. A small portion of fur was urine-dipped, and a small bit of dried cecal (I'm presuming) in another area has matted very slightly but I was able to remove this.
Water and litter tray use seem ok since both were emptied and refilled this morning.

Hi,

Thanks.

Hi there :wave:

If there's been increased urine output, then it could be that soiled fur you're seeing is due to sitting in the litter tray and not necessarily her peeing on herself.

Mention it to the vet tomorrow. If he decides to put her on antibiotics, just in case of a bacterial infection, then I guess he will postpone her vaccination for several weeks to check all is well.

He can also check up on her teeth, as excess drinking can be linked to a tooth problem. But not necessarily.

Good luck xx

Thank you for your help.
Just managed to hold Rose without her struggling (I stood up instead of my usual near-the-floor-incase-she-jumps) which she seemed to prefer. A small portion of fur was urine-dipped, and a small bit of dried cecal (I'm presuming) in another area has matted very slightly but I was able to remove this.
Water and litter tray use seem ok since both were emptied and refilled this morning.

That's OK. I am sure that you will feel better about it all once the Vet has checked Rosie over :)

If you put some hay in the litter tray on top of newspaper or whatever you use, this will help her to stay dry inbetween clesning it out. :thumb: Hope your Vets visit goes well.

Back