• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at Home treats.

Sharpie

Warren Scout
Hey all, A few months ago I brought pets at home "pick N mix" for rabbits and all my bunnies really loved them,
With little blue being ill I got some more in to give her one after having her yucky medicine, however we think they're giving her gas...
She was ill and on medication for about 3 days before I gave her one and for the last 3 days she had trapped gas.
We've been trying to narrow down what was causing it, pin pointing it to the treats and kale as they were the only things we've changed.
I've been giving her tummy massages and it goes away, but as soon as she has her next dose and a treat she becomes gassy again.
We haven't given her any today and she's been totally fine, so we're suspecting them.

Has anyone experienced this?
Also any idea as to why she's having a "reaction" to them now?

She's been having the "Lucky Clover" crunchy oven baked snacks and she's had one "Carrot Bite" baked snack to see if they were any better.

I really wouldn't give rabbits any of these processed "treats". They sometimes contain weird things. A nice bunch of forage or herbs is much more healthy imo.

Hey all, A few months ago I brought pets at home "pick N mix" for rabbits and all my bunnies really loved them,
With little blue being ill I got some more in to give her one after having her yucky medicine, however we think they're giving her gas...
She was ill and on medication for about 3 days before I gave her one and for the last 3 days she had trapped gas.
We've been trying to narrow down what was causing it, pin pointing it to the treats and kale as they were the only things we've changed.
I've been giving her tummy massages and it goes away, but as soon as she has her next dose and a treat she becomes gassy again.
We haven't given her any today and she's been totally fine, so we're suspecting them.

She's been having the "Lucky Clover" crunchy oven baked snacks and she's had one "Carrot Bite" baked snack to see if they were any better.

It's difficult to say what's causing her gas. If the treats contain sugar, then that's not good. That said, Avipro probiotic contains sugar, and I saw recently that Supreme Recovery food contains milk powder :roll:

Personally I have never fed treats to my rabbits. They do get occasional stalks of coriander or dill, or a shred of greens. You're not feeding cauliflower or cabbage are you? They are good for rabbits, but sometimes can cause gas ..

My rabbits have had both of these treats for ages, as an occasional treat, and have never had any problems.

It's difficult to say what's causing her gas. If the treats contain sugar, then that's not good. That said, Avipro probiotic contains sugar, and I saw recently that Supreme Recovery food contains milk powder :roll:

Personally I have never fed treats to my rabbits. They do get occasional stalks of coriander or dill, or a shred of greens. You're not feeding cauliflower or cabbage are you? They are good for rabbits, but sometimes can cause gas ..

She had a small leaf of cabbage before the day before I gave these treats and no gas.

My bunnies normally get sugar free yoghurt drops, one each as a morning wakey up treat and that's it, or if I have these baked ones they get one each of those instead, I'm wondering if them mixed with her baytril is causing it?

It says they contain;
Cereals, glucose (16.60%), vegetables, oils & fats and minerals.

My rabbits have had both of these treats for ages, as an occasional treat, and have never had any problems.

Yeh my other bunnies are OK, just seems to be Blue who's I'll, I'm wondering if them plus her Baytril is causing it? As before she was ill she didn't have issues with them

Glucose isn't great for bunnies and that is a large percentage of sugar. I would cut out the brassica family also as they are notorious for causing gas (kale, cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli). The treats are more likely to cause damage over time which is why they may have been fine in the past. They also fill up bunnies' tums which prevents them eating enough hay and fibrous, natural foods.

Natural forage is available everywhere, it's free and rabbits go mad for it. So much better for their health and avoids vets bills later on.

I learnt the hard way about pet store rabbit treats -they can't breakdown calcium so ultimately the rabbits bladder becomes full of excess calcium sludge. Its very painful and quite unbearable to see a rabbit in pain like that. My bun used to scrounge and beg for yoghurt drops. They are so bad! They should not be allowed to sell it as you assume everything they sell is safe. For treats try dried papaya they go crazy for it! It's also good for furballs. As for gas, I would take it to the vet and get the medicine for it and it will go away. I find I always don't have to use the whole bottle so can keep it for other gassy days - I got the rabbit equivalent of boots! You can get some metacam pain killer too as don't want him to stop eating. Rabbit massage hasn't really worked in my experience xxx

I learnt the hard way about pet store rabbit treats -they can't breakdown calcium so ultimately the rabbits bladder becomes full of excess calcium sludge. Its very painful and quite unbearable to see a rabbit in pain like that. My bun used to scrounge and beg for yoghurt drops. They are so bad! They should not be allowed to sell it as you assume everything they sell is safe. For treats try dried papaya they go crazy for it! It's also good for furballs. As for gas, I would take it to the vet and get the medicine for it and it will go away. I find I always don't have to use the whole bottle so can keep it for other gassy days - I got the rabbit equivalent of boots! You can get some metacam pain killer too as don't want him to stop eating. Rabbit massage hasn't really worked in my experience xxx

For gut stasis, nothing works better for me than Infacol and tummy massage :)

Back