• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nena

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
After 3 years and 3 months of fighting a dental abscess, I finally made the decision to put Nena to sleep yesterday 2nd August. She was just under 7 years old.

I got Nena and her sister Tapla when they were very young. I was looking on Preloved as I was interested in getting a house bunny at some point, and I came across an advert where a family had gotten 2 baby rabbits from Pets at Home a week earlier and no longer wanted them. They were intending to let the bunnies loose in the park unless anyone collected them. I messaged them asking them to take them back to Pets at Home but the family refused, so I felt I had no choice...

I brought them home when I was living in halls. I'd only been living away from home at college for a few weeks before I got them. They lived in halls with me for a few months before I was inevitably found out when there was an emergency with the shower in the apartment above. My rabbits were confiscated by the college staff (I was doing an HND in Animal Management and the college had a large animal department) before I begged my brother to look after them until I could move. I then moved into a house a while away from the college with an awful roommate, and then moved again to live by myself. After finishing my course I moved back in with my mom and step-dad to study for a BSc in Animal Biology, which meant that the bunnies had to move outside but also got much better accommodation. I got them a 6 x 4 shed and a 6 x 4 run, which I upgraded a year ago or so for an 8 x 4 x 3 run. I can't wait to move out so that I could provide them with a large shed and aviary setup, but sadly Nena will never see that happen.

Nena lost a lot of weight and had a wet mouth, so I took her to several vets near to me who were less than useless. I then came on here to ask for rabbit savvy vets, and found a good vets a little while away who looked after Nena for about a year. She then had a bit of time where she was fairly okay, but then it came back so I moved vets as my old vet was no longer working there. That's when I first saw Marie Kubiak who has been fantastic and instrumental in their treatment of Nena. After some more time and a lot of effort, heartache and money we realised that Nena's jaw abscess was going to come back for the rest of her life and eventually we would be out of options. We decided that while Nena's abscess was under control at the moment due to ceporex injections once a day, I would give Nena some time to be a normal bunny without the frequent vets visits and frequent care of wounds.

Nena surprised us all and had a very long time where all she needed was a dental every 4 months and occasionally some teeth out at the same time. However, Nena recently developed pus in the ear (either from the jaw abscess tracking up to her ear, or from dirt getting into her ear) and after some consideration I decided not to have ear ablation surgery as it could entail up to 4 operations depending on if both ears were affected and I had no way of knowing when her jaw abscess might recur. By this time we had also used all antibiotics that would be effective on the jaw abscess so if it was tracking up from the jaw we had no antibiotics to combat it. The lump on her ear grew quickly and moved downwards until it was affecting the side of her face.

Nena was binkying, begging for food and generally looking for love and affection up until her final vets visit. After everything Nena has been through I was keen to ensure that she did not linger on, progressively suffering more and more until her life became unbearable.

Nena went to sleep forever at about 3.30pm on Tuesday 2nd August 2016. She was brave and incredible, and the best bunny anyone could ever wish for. The sedative was supposed to take around 5-10 minutes to take affect, but she was gone in less than 2 minutes.

Nena was deaf, and I was used to seeing her seemingly unresponsive in a dead bunny flop so often (and then waking up and running around in circles stomping when she finally realised I was there) that it was very weird and surreal to have her not respond. I just can't believe that my sparky little bunny is gone forever. I will miss you forever, Nena.

Nena was always the brave one...:

Being held by my mom:

Sorry for your loss :( Rip, Nena. She looks like she had a very happy life with you, love the photo of her in the garden all flopped x

What beautiful photos and a lovely tribute Yaretzi :love:

Sending huge hugs. Having followed Nena's progress and journey, I am in awe of you and the caring you've given her, right up until her dignified passing. X

What a beautiful bunny and such an inspiring story behind her and her lovely sister. :love:
I cannot express how sad I am for you for your loss. :cry: Nena was incredible and she was so blessed to have you caring for her. When you've been through so much with a beloved animal companion, it is incredibly hard to imagine what you will do when they have left for the Bridge. You have been so strong for her and your courage is equal to the determination that Nena approached her life with. I hope that your memories of her sweetness and bravery will become the strength and comfort you need in facing the days to come, and I feel that Nena will always be with you, she is definitely firmly in your heart and nothing can take that away.
((((((((((Huge hugs for you and Tapla)))))))))))))))
Precious Nena, I will miss hearing about you and seeing your pictures. We have all been honored to know you, dear one. You fought the good fight and now you can rest. Sweet dreams at the Rainbow, and binky free. xxxxx

I have lit a candle for Nena here: http://gratefulness.org/candle/668764-2/

What a lovely tribute :love: I am so sorry you lost her :cry: you gave her an amazing life and did so well to give her the quality of life she had for so long.

Binky free Nena xx

Nena could not have had a more dedicated care giver. I am sorry that the dreaded 'final decision' had to be made on Tuesday :cry: But you knew that it was the right decision for Nena, however much heartbreak it caused you.

Binky Free Nena, I have learned a lot from your journey. Thank you :love:

A beautiful tribute, and beautiful photos of your beloved Nena. She couldn't have wanted a more loving and caring home xx

Such sad news Gabby. Nena could not have found anyone better in this world to have cared for and loved her as you did.

Rest easy beautiful Nena. xxx

You did so much for Nena. I never knew they were originally with you at uni.:love:. I never met Nena but it's so sad she has gone after you fought so hard. I will never forget you special girl. Xxx

Back