• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pumpkin has eye snot in her right eye!

Vjeverica

New Kit
A couple of days ago i noticed a big eye snot (like we humans have, but much bigger) in the corner of pumpkin's right eye. It was kinda milky white, i managed to wipe it off with a tissue, she didnt seem to be in any pain or discomfort or anything (still doesnt) but last night she had it again (this time a bit smaller). They have recently redecorated their hutch with a bunch of hay because kale decided he didnt like the hay box and just wrecked the entire thing (pumpkin has been a bit more teritorial lately, think she might be fake-pregnant again {soon she shall be spayed too!} so he's a bit grr) so im thinking maybe her right eye just doesnt like hay on the floor of the hutch that much? I am calling the vet later today to see what she thinks, bur i've read too much internet and freaked myself out so i just wanted to share it with you guys to ease my mind a bit

A couple of days ago i noticed a big eye snot (like we humans have, but much bigger) in the corner of pumpkin's right eye. It was kinda milky white, i managed to wipe it off with a tissue, she didnt seem to be in any pain or discomfort or anything (still doesnt) but last night she had it again (this time a bit smaller). They have recently redecorated their hutch with a bunch of hay because kale decided he didnt like the hay box and just wrecked the entire thing (pumpkin has been a bit more teritorial lately, think she might be fake-pregnant again {soon she shall be spayed too!} so he's a bit grr) so im thinking maybe her right eye just doesnt like hay on the floor of the hutch that much? I am calling the vet later today to see what she thinks, bur i've read too much internet and freaked myself out so i just wanted to share it with you guys to ease my mind a bit

It may be that she got a bit of hay in her eye which has caused some inflammation/infection. Without an examination by a Vet it's impossible to say for certain what the problem is. If the 'gunk' from her eye is creamy/white this could indicate infection which would require treatment with antibiotic eye drops. The Vet would probably also want to check that the cornea of the eye is not scratched. This would involve putting some Fluorescein dye into the eye to check for corneal damage.

Another possibility is a blocked nasolacrimal duct (tear duct) which can be caused by infection and also sometimes by dental problems.

So in short my advice would be to take Pumpkin to the Vet, just to be on the safe side :)

We are going to the vet this afternoon, she wants to check her out. She says its probably infection so she wants to see it as soon as possible to start treating her so it doesnt turn in a chronic thing. I am a bit more calm, and pumpkin has been very happy this morning, even sat on my lap! (Usually she doesnt like being picked up or handled in any way) and she's been trying to play with the cat! And she's been munching on hay normally and seems good. So im optimistic!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

We are going to the vet this afternoon, she wants to check her out. She says its probably infection so she wants to see it as soon as possible to start treating her so it doesnt turn in a chronic thing. I am a bit more calm, and pumpkin has been very happy this morning, even sat on my lap! (Usually she doesnt like being picked up or handled in any way) and she's been trying to play with the cat! And she's been munching on hay normally and seems good. So im optimistic!

I am glad that the Vet will be checking Pupkin's eye. It's always better to err on the side of caution. I am sure Pumpkin will be fine, even if she does have to put up with having eye drops put in her sore eye for a few days. I expect you'll win her round by offering her an extra treat or two :D

Hi there :wave:

It sounds to me like pumpkin has an infected tear duct. When the tear ducts get obstructed, as with elongated tooth roots, they don't drain as they should and the gunk backs up onto the surface of the eye.

Bathing regularly with cooled boiled water is helpful, as it massaging gently the area under the eye to release any infection.

it's a really common thing in rabbits :)

Good luck at the vets xx

just got back from the vet, pumpkin got an antibiotic for her eye, the vet cleared out her ter duct, there was a bit of blockage, but we came early so its good! she also checked her teeth and noticed that her back teeth are a tiny bit irregular so she will need to get half the pellets she's been getting now (so 20 grams per day) and hopefully that will help her teeth too! but all in all, getting her to the vet today was a good call, it was a bit stresfull for pumpkin, but we took kale with her so that she has company and moral support! they are both a bit mad at me currently, but other than that, all is good! thank you for your support and advice! now im gonna go buy more veggies for them too, and hope that we get to cure it with the antibiotic and not have to visit the vet again soon!

just got back from the vet, pumpkin got an antibiotic for her eye, the vet cleared out her ter duct, there was a bit of blockage, but we came early so its good! she also checked her teeth and noticed that her back teeth are a tiny bit irregular so she will need to get half the pellets she's been getting now (so 20 grams per day) and hopefully that will help her teeth too! but all in all, getting her to the vet today was a good call, it was a bit stresfull for pumpkin, but we took kale with her so that she has company and moral support! they are both a bit mad at me currently, but other than that, all is good! thank you for your support and advice! now im gonna go buy more veggies for them too, and hope that we get to cure it with the antibiotic and not have to visit the vet again soon!

Eating lots of hay and fresh grass and dried readigrass is also excellent for getting the teeth into shape. If you cut down on pellets you could try adding in more of the long strand fibre and also some fresh forage?

Glad the vet's visit went well :thumb:

well the general idea is to cut down on her pellets so that she eats more hay! i have been investigating on what plants they can eat and am planning on making a little garden (basically a big pot on the balcony) with fresh plants and weeds and stuff for them because i live in the city and cant really get fresh stuff easily (at least not one that i can trust). for now i have some basil, mint, oregano and thyme on the balcony, and some rodent grass that i got when i ordered litter for cats and boy do they love it! they are a bit picky when it comes to vegetables (kale more than pumpkin), except for apples that my boyfriend brings from work (they are home-grown) but they dont get them that much because of sugar, and vegetables are from supermarket so they are not as yum. i really do hope i'll manage to get her teeth in shape because i dont want to put her trough the vet removal :/

Hi, its me again. So i've been putting the drops in her eye, they are cavasan eye ointmen, and pumpkins eye got red and i dont know if its normal because she gets stuff in her eye and its not nice, or if i should call the vet? Can anyone help me? I got pictures of her now red right eye, and her normal left eye
89731bbc7ed9132efefa46ab34245c1a.jpg

9be7026a7fc4ecef78985bf7812662f7.jpg

Hi, its me again. So i've been putting the drops in her eye, they are cavasan eye ointmen, and pumpkins eye got red and i dont know if its normal because she gets stuff in her eye and its not nice, or if i should call the vet? Can anyone help me? I got pictures of her now red right eye, and her normal left eye
89731bbc7ed9132efefa46ab34245c1a.jpg

9be7026a7fc4ecef78985bf7812662f7.jpg

It doesn't look right to me, I'm afraid :(

Give the vet a call and describe what the eye looks like. You may have to change the drops ... Or if the tear duct has cleared, perhaps just bathe for a while and see how things go.

Let me know what the vet says x

Some Rabbits may be sensitive to Chloramphenicol (the active ingredient in Cavasan) which can cause more inflammation. I would give the Vet a call and see what they advise.

I called the vet, she said it could be from the cleaning from yesterday, if its still like that tomorrow then i need to bring her back. I hope it goes away soon :/ i will still try and give her a bath (cooled boiled water, right?) just to try and ease her discomfort, if thats a good idea?

I called the vet, she said it could be from the cleaning from yesterday, if its still like that tomorrow then i need to bring her back. I hope it goes away soon :/ i will still try and give her a bath (cooled boiled water, right?) just to try and ease her discomfort, if thats a good idea?

It won't do any harm to get a cotton wool pad with the water as you say, and gently bathe. Or you could use sterile saline if you wear contact lenses :)

Back