• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Codys Discomfort - Another Possibility ??

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
OK so I know I am going to post vaguely and repeat again things I posted before again but just would like some views again as Codys appointment is getting close now this Wednesday at 11am and I need a plan to decide if I should go down the xray route and I am getting stressed about making the right decision .

So Cody has been on metacam for the third time in a month (now 7 days in a row ) to work out if it helps him and yes every time after about 4 days on metacam he gets back to about 85% of his wee self. Appetite alot better and eatting all his veg in one go instead of picking. And lying out more and not sitting as hunched. So I think I can say there is a pain issue for which the metacam is helping.

He doesn't hoover up his pellets like he used to though. He is eatting alot better at the them though. So I decided to soften his pellets. He ate a few of them hard this morning but when I sat down the softened ones he ate them all in one go.

Cody has a watery eye in his larger glaucoma eye. The metacam has started to improve the wateryness . So is the metacam helping imflamation in his bad eye? Would that affect his choice of soft pellet over hard??

Or is it his teeth? But if he had spurs how would metacam improve this?? Surerly a spur is constantly there. ( I also have in the back of my head elongated tooth roots as a possibility )

Cody while on the metacam is alot perky and runs out for his morning grape now and does eventually eat all his hard oxbow timothy bunny basics t pellets (I do give him softened excel pellets too) and generally seems in good form. I am going to try him in the garden this evening to see if he will graze.

So as the metacam improves him alot do I just continue with metacam until he would worsen in some way or risk xray to determine if a teeth thing is going on based on his preference of soft pellet over hard ?

My gut says its glaucoma eye imflamation but as I said earlier would eye imflamation make him pick a softer pellet ???

Sooooo confused !

Is he on any eye drops to treat the Glaucoma ? Untreated Glaucoma can be painful and would be likely to effect eating.

What sort of Xrays were you considering ?Skull radiographs would provide information about the tooth roots, but only so far as to rule the issue in or out. The treatment would still be pain relief (Metacam).

If Cody is found to have molar spurs and needs a Dental then you could ask the Vet to do Xrays then too. But personally I would not want to GA him just for the Xrays alone.

Is Cody the Bun who has had ear problems ? Ear pain can definitely cause a Rabbit to prefer softer foods.

OK so I know I am going to post vaguely and repeat again things I posted before again but just would like some views again as Codys appointment is getting close now this Wednesday at 11am and I need a plan to decide if I should go down the xray route and I am getting stressed about making the right decision .

So Cody has been on metacam for the third time in a month (now 7 days in a row ) to work out if it helps him and yes every time after about 4 days on metacam he gets back to about 85% of his wee self. Appetite alot better and eatting all his veg in one go instead of picking. And lying out more and not sitting as hunched. So I think I can say there is a pain issue for which the metacam is helping.

He doesn't hoover up his pellets like he used to though. He is eatting alot better at the them though. So I decided to soften his pellets. He ate a few of them hard this morning but when I sat down the softened ones he ate them all in one go.

Cody has a watery eye in his larger glaucoma eye. The metacam has started to improve the wateryness . So is the metacam helping imflamation in his bad eye? Would that affect his choice of soft pellet over hard??

Or is it his teeth? But if he had spurs how would metacam improve this?? Surerly a spur is constantly there. ( I also have in the back of my head elongated tooth roots as a possibility )

Cody while on the metacam is alot perky and runs out for his morning grape now and does eventually eat all his hard oxbow timothy bunny basics t pellets (I do give him softened excel pellets too) and generally seems in good form. I am going to try him in the garden this evening to see if he will graze.

So as the metacam improves him alot do I just continue with metacam until he would worsen in some way or risk xray to determine if a teeth thing is going on based on his preference of soft pellet over hard ?

My gut says its glaucoma eye imflamation but as I said earlier would eye imflamation make him pick a softer pellet ???

Sooooo confused !

Hi Nicky :wave:

I can see the Cody monster is causing you stress again :roll:

Right .. If he has molar spurs, they will give the symptoms you are describing. How is he with hay, readigrass or fresh grass at the moment? The metacam will *definitely* take the edge of pain of molar spurs, and thus allow him to eat. So you can't rule those out.

I wouldn't put him through a GA for a skull X-ray, unless he was having one anyway for a dental. If the vet thinks that this is a dental issue.

Yes the metacam would reduce inflammation in his bad eye, but the main work of controlling that inflammation and pain would be from the eye drops.

I would say the vet needs to have a really good look inside his mouth. I take it your vet doesn't do conscious dentals? Not that you'd have to go down that route, but some vets can use the techniques to get a better look at the molars. Using an otoscope they can only see about 50/60% of the mouth.

You may have two issues going on here - teeth and eye. Get your vet to separate out the two and address them separately?

Hi Jane than u for ur quick reply. Yes he is still on twice daily Azopt drops and the eye pressure is being tested by the eye vet on Wednesday too. Yes Cody is still on twice weekly depocillian injections to keep the infection at bay. The last time the vet looked in his ear there was just a sliver of pus visable ( hard pus not runny - he only ever had hard pus - what the difference in hard pus in the ear and runny - does hard pus mean an absess in reality ??) I am going to ask her if we should maybe change antibiotic to see if we can cure it but maybe the depocillian is his best option.

Aw the only reason I was thinking of xrayING Cody was for tooth spurs but I didn't realise the ear pain could cause soft pellet preference. The vet does check his teeth every time but I was lthinking what if a spur is on the back teeth that can't be seen.

I just obviously don't want to sedate him if I don't have too.

Hi Jane than u for ur quick reply. Yes he is still on twice daily Azopt drops and the eye pressure is being tested by the eye vet on Wednesday too. Yes Cody is still on twice weekly depocillian injections to keep the infection at bay. The last time the vet looked in his ear there was just a sliver of pus visable ( hard pus not runny - he only ever had hard pus - what the difference in hard pus in the ear and runny - does hard pus mean an absess in reality ??) I am going to ask her if we should maybe change antibiotic to see if we can cure it but maybe the depocillian is his best option.

Aw the only reason I was thinking of xrayING Cody was for tooth spurs but I didn't realise the ear pain could cause soft pellet preference. The vet does check his teeth every time but I was lthinking what if a spur is on the back teeth that can't be seen.

I just obviously don't want to sedate him if I don't have too.

If the pus in his ear in very hard it may be causing a lot of pressure and that could be painful. Also, there may be more debris under the lump of pus that cannot be seen with an otoscope.

In my experience outer ear infections cannot be 'cured' with just systemic antibiotics. It is almost always necessary to have the ear canals thoroughly cleaned out (under GA). Then both systemic antibiotics and topical antibiotics (ear drops) are usually needed, often longterm.

If his Glaucoma is less well controlled now (meaning some pain) then the Vet may want to change the eye drops.

If after examining Cody the Vet feels that a Dental and/or thorough ear canal cleaning (both under GA) are needed then I would ask for skull Xrays to be taken then too. From the Xrays the Vet would not only be able to assess the tooth roots but also to see if there could be anything going on behind the 'larger glaucoma eye'.

Hi Max !!! Yes the Code strikes again !! Not his fault the poor sausage!! Right so no xray unless vet thinks it's strongly teeth related - I wouldn't want one just for skull as u posted one time begore it may only tell us what we already know with regards to ear and possibly teeth roots fir which treatment is the same anyway - I don't think she does concious dental - not sure how I woyld feel about that. Cody is very submissive u could do anything to him he is so gentle but on the other hand he gets very stressed too and makes wee snortling noises. He forgives easy though thankfully . Cody went off hay about a year and a half ago but was eatting lots of grass in the garden and the little compressed hay bales. He is not eating the hay bales now but is still eatting plenty grass that I pick for him and Oliver. I am just going to have to see what the vet says aren't I and possibly there are teeth and eye issues at the same time but I hope not. Thanks for advice Max.

Yes Jane the thought had crossed my mind that there was pus underneath that we could not see. I would be very wary of an ear flush after what happened to poor Honey (Ruthy Jones's wee bun). Although I totally see the benefit of doing so. I am wary of putting him through too much also. Cody has quite a mix going on so I will see what the vet says after she and the eye vet examine him. Thanks for very helpful advice also Jane.

Yes Jane the thought had crossed my mind that there was pus underneath that we could not see. I would be very wary of an ear flush after what happened to poor Honey (Ruthy Jones's wee bun). Although I totally see the benefit of doing so. I am wary of putting him through too much also. Cody has quite a mix going on so I will see what the vet says after she and the eye vet examine him. Thanks for very helpful advice also Jane.

Thats OK. Morse had numerous ear canal flushes under GA over the years and he never had any problems caused by doing it. It can only really be done if the tympanic membrane (ear drum) is intact. I think Honey's was ruptured :cry:

That reassuring about Morse Jane. I won't totally rule it out now.

Thanks Jane and Max for both ur views and opinions. I feel you both have covered everything that it could be abd answered my questions and I have it all straighter in my head now. I just will have to see if the vets can see anything that may point to something you both have mentioned .

Thank u both x

That reassuring about Morse Jane. I won't totally rule it out now.

Thanks Jane and Max for both ur views and opinions. I feel you both have covered everything that it could be abd answered my questions and I have it all straighter in my head now. I just will have to see if the vets can see anything that may point to something you both have mentioned .

Thank u both x

As you have a great relationship with your Vet I am sure you will feel confident in whatever suggestions she makes with regards to what best to do for Cody. Having trust in our Vet is such a bonus.

Hi Max !!! Yes the Code strikes again !! Not his fault the poor sausage!! Right so no xray unless vet thinks it's strongly teeth related - I wouldn't want one just for skull as u posted one time begore it may only tell us what we already know with regards to ear and possibly teeth roots fir which treatment is the same anyway - I don't think she does concious dental - not sure how I woyld feel about that. Cody is very submissive u could do anything to him he is so gentle but on the other hand he gets very stressed too and makes wee snortling noises. He forgives easy though thankfully . Cody went off hay about a year and a half ago but was eatting lots of grass in the garden and the little compressed hay bales. He is not eating the hay bales now but is still eatting plenty grass that I pick for him and Oliver. I am just going to have to see what the vet says aren't I and possibly there are teeth and eye issues at the same time but I hope not. Thanks for advice Max.

Hiya :wave:

Fresh grass is great - so maybe the teeth aren't all that bad, but who knows? (Except Cody of course and he ain't telling!)

I really hope you get the most from your vet visit :D

Yes Jane thankfully my vet is very good so I will be guided by her. I hope it's just something minor.

Max that made me laugh - Cody knows but ain't telling !!! Yes it's his closely guarded secret! Yes hopefully the vet will be able to shed some light on his issues and maybe Cody might confide in her!

Thank u both for your thoughts xx

Last edited:
Yes Jane thankfully my vet is very good so I will be guided by her. I hope it's just something minor.

Max that made me laugh - Cody knows but ain't telling !!! Yes it's his closely guarded secret! Yes hopefully the vet will be able to shed some light on his issues and maybe Cody might confide in her!

Thank u both for your thoughts xx

Hopefully she's a bunny whisperer ... :D

So we have been to the vet and ears look to be OK pus still tiny and teeth look good. Vet noticed a spot on Codys bad glaucoma eye which eye vet confirmed as being an ulcer :( so Code is on chlophenicol eye drops 4 times a day for 2 weeks. I am not glad he has an ulcer but now we know the reason for his discomfort and weeping eye. Poor man but we will get him better. The pressure in the same eye is up to 29 so gonna try the Azopt 3 times a day in that eye. The other eye is 20. Plus he is on daily metacam So he had a very thorough check over and am soo lucky to have such a great vet I truly am.

So we have been to the vet and ears look to be OK pus still tiny and teeth look good. Vet noticed a spot on Codys bad glaucoma eye which eye vet confirmed as being an ulcer :( so Code is on chlophenicol eye drops 4 times a day for 2 weeks. I am not glad he has an ulcer but now we know the reason for his discomfort and weeping eye. Poor man but we will get him better. The pressure in the same eye is up to 29 so gonna try the Azopt 3 times a day in that eye. The other eye is 20. Plus he is on daily metacam So he had a very thorough check over and am soo lucky to have such a great vet I truly am.

I hope the CMP clears the ulcer up promptly. It really does make a huge difference if we have a Vet we trust doesn't it. Hopefully Cody will soon be feeling much more comfortable xx

Hi Nicky!

I'm glad you all made it there and back today, in one piece :D

The Chloramphenicol is a really good antibacterial. I'm sure it will do the trick! I've used it before on my bunnies and also on myself.

He's got a little battalion of meds, but all to the good, as he sounds to be quite stable (once the glaucoma is back under control).

Great - really worth the journey, as you and I know, all those miles for that reassurance and expertise :D

Hi Max ! Yes safe trip and sun was shining so I knew if was a good omen we would get Code sorted.

Good to know that chlophenicol is a good antibiotic for ulcers and hopefully this helps him soon. I have to show my husband this evening how to do the 2pm eye drop as he will be home. I know it's easy to do but I tend to so all the medicating and I think if would be useful for him to know how to do it as well . Think i have rabbit control issues !!! He is very good at the holding and reassuring bit for the buns. Cody is so good with his drops. He was lying sleeping this morning and I opened his eye dropped it in and he didn't even move lol !!

Hi Max ! Yes safe trip and sun was shining so I knew if was a good omen we would get Code sorted.

Good to know that chlophenicol is a good antibiotic for ulcers and hopefully this helps him soon. I have to show my husband this evening how to do the 2pm eye drop as he will be home. I know it's easy to do but I tend to so all the medicating and I think if would be useful for him to know how to do it as well . Think i have rabbit control issues !!! He is very good at the holding and reassuring bit for the buns. Cody is so good with his drops. He was lying sleeping this morning and I opened his eye dropped it in and he didn't even move lol !!

Oh bless him!

I know what you mean about rabbit control issues :lol: It's tempting to take over, isn't it? Occasionally another eye on the situation throws up another side to it, which is the good thing about RU. Talking around the topic gets us thinking about it, and improving the life for our beautiful warriors :D

Back