• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Simba has an infection in the pancreas?

You say he drank non-stop for about 7 minutes - maybe his bottle was clogged up and he couldn't get any water? This could have caused a blockage in his tummy, but now he has drank a good amount it might help to get things moving hopefully. Does he eat a good portion of hay every day?

I check his bottle daily, its still working, i mentioned it to the vet and he said sometimes when rabbits are ill, they dont like lifting their head because it takes too much effort.

Nope not at the moment, he has one or two mouthfuls a day after I've given him his gut-movement medicine (3 times a day) and his surringe food (hourly), then he has a mouthful then that's it until the next medicine.

Here is a picture of simba at the moment: http://imgur.com/uc3uj7h

And here is his weekly activity

Monday - Started to realise he wasn't eating and booked the first vet appointment available which was tuesday morning. (Don't know if he had a poop this day)
Tuesday - vet trip, where the vet specifically said he thinks that simba has an infection of the pancreas, he felt simbas stomach and said there was slight tenderness where his pancreas is. Didn't say anything about impact pain, just said that it was infected. He prescribed simba Metacam, Baytil and Satchet of food to feed him VIA Surringe. I got home and give him them, nothing happened.
Wednesday - After wakin up and seeing Simba still hadn't eaten or pood (apart from the surringe food I had gave him), i gave him his medicine again at 9am. He seemed to perk up for around 10/15minutes where he was hopping around the living room sniffing things but not lifting his head up to mark stuff, also wasn't drinkin out of his water bottle so I gave him a bowl of water and he drank none stop for an entire 7minutes. Around an hour later, he had a poo, was sticky and a bit bigger than his normal stool size, smelled weird compared to his normal poos.
Thursday - After waking up thursday morning, still no more poo than the one the day before. I gave him his medicine again and he just kept laying flat with his legs out back all day. Ate a little bit of hay and half a tuppawear box of grass. He done another poo similar to the one the day before but it was a bit bigger. I went back to the vets and said he wasn't making any improvement and they gave me this gut medicine for simba, the name began with an M (sorry i cant remember the name because the vet accidentally stuck the wrong label on the bottle). He peed on me when I was giving him his medicine and it was warm.
Friday - No poo as of yet, but it seems to be a nightly thing. I gave him his medicine at 7am this morning. He keeps sitting with his back legs tucked under him and his front legs poking out crossed over eachother, hasn't moved much. I gave him his food through surringe again at around 8am and he started hopping around as normal, marking stuff with his chin, running around the living room as normal. When i put him on the floor after bringing him home from the vets (for a double check up, the vet i hadn't seen before said the same thing as the other vet and said to continue with his medication as it may be a long process and all rabbits are different and that I need to massage his stomach, and have a lot of patience. Now he is currently laid down in his potty(the picture i have linked above)

What do I do... I'm so worried about my little man, I can't afford anymore vet treatment so that is out of the question, also tried with the PDSA but they refuse to look after him because he has had a recent visit to a private vet.

From my information above, does he seem to be making any progress? How long does this normally take... I don't know what to do.

I massaged his belly today and he made a little pump/****/gas release when I was doing it and his belly started rumbling, after that, simba started fidgeting so I let him hop off.

Hello

Given all you have documented here Simba really does need additional Veterinary help. As tonibun rightly mentioned

Surely, if it is an impaction he should be hospitalised?

Simba probably needs to be hospitalised in order for him to receive intensive care. This is likely to include IV fluids and medication given by injection/IV rather than orally. I know that you say you have no money to fund this and the PDSA have refused to help (although if you are actually in receipt of certain Welfare Benefits they should not refuse ............) your only option is to call the RSPCA National number- 0300-123-4999 and detail your situation. They may be able to help in some way. Are you near any RSPCA Animal Hospitals ? If so call one of them rather than the main RSPCA National number.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/vetcare/financial

I do understand that there may be situations where-by money is just not there. Not all of us are fortunate enough to have ready access to cash at all times. Please do not think that I am criticising you or judging you, I am not. But under the Animal Welfare Act we, as Pet owners, we are all legally bound to insure our Pets receive appropriate and if necessary ongoing Veterinary treatment.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/changingthelaw/whatwechanged/animalwelfareact

If I were you I'd get on to the RSPCA straight away and see if they can suggest a way to get Simba the ongoing Veterinary help that he appears to be in serious need of.

Please let us know how you get on xx

From what i've told you, do you think he is making progress :(?

Also, how long do bunnies with illnesses like these take to start pooping again?

If it is cecal impaction, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, then fluids is the key. Fluids and fibre as detailed in the article.

It's not necessary to hospitalise a rabbit with cecal impaction, but only if you are confident with what you are doing, and you can give fluids.

If you can't manage the situation, and it's difficult I know, then please seek vet help.

Within you and Simba lots of luck xx

UPDATE:

Simba had some sort of seizure :'( i give him his meds as requested by the vet and i put him on the floor in the garden and he started running around in circles (his left side on the inside) and his eyes were rolling around in circles and his head was wobbling. Rushing him to emergency vets now, will let you all know.

UPDATE:

Simba had some sort of seizure :'( i give him his meds as requested by the vet and i put him on the floor in the garden and he started running around in circles (his left side on the inside) and his eyes were rolling around in circles and his head was wobbling. Rushing him to emergency vets now, will let you all know.

:cry:

Sending millions of vibes xx

UPDATE:

How awful :(

Thinking of you Jenny and sending loads of vibes xx

Back