• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Success! *Photos added*

Jasperello

Warren Scout
Just wanted to share my little journey of my first bonding experience with anyone who's interested :)

My rabbits: Jasper (harlequin Dutch x) M and Lola (lion head Dutch x) F
Set up: outdoor bunnies
Background: Jasper was initially living in a pair with my other boy, Zucc, outdoors together. Post-neuter fighting began & they were separated at 5 months in late August. Zucc is now a cage free indoor bunny. In September we got Lola to be paired up with Jasper and they lived in their respective hutches/runs outside alongside each other.

After advice from someone who has a lot of experience with rabbits and bonding, we began a few dates in late October prior to her being spayed, which I understand is not normally recommended.
They had a "date" once a week, occasionally twice.

Our neutral territory was the bath for the 1st meeting- no problems! Largely ignored each other. A little nose to nose interest towards the end.

2nd date was the bathroom floor- no problems! Sniffed each other, relaxed enough to groom themselves.

3rd date onwards was in a pen in the kitchen. They shared hay together, snuggled next to each other & Lola licked Jasper. Occasionally he licked her too. They were always very relaxed together. They spent up to around 4 hours at a time. Never had any mounting, chasing, signs of aggression etc. we were lucky I think!

Early December Lola was spayed. She recovered very quickly! The nurse said she was doing incredibly well & a week or so after we put her & jasp in the pen for a date to see if their bond had dipped. Not at all! Straight back to snuggling together & grooming.

I had been waiting until I broke up from work to use my two weeks off over Christmad to hopefully get them living together in their shared hutch outside. This coincided with when Lola should have been recovered enough from her operation to resume bonding dates. That was on Saturday.

Saturday we had a date indoors for 4+ hours. Great as usual. Decided to try in Jaspers (completely cleaned out) hutch.. Nope Lola hated it. Running around thumping her feet. Jasper started to follow her around. Took them back inside, all loved up again!

Sunday tried again. Started indoors, then into his hutch again. Nope same as before. So tried her run, moved into a different position away from her hutch tho. This was better but not great still, he chased & nipped slightly. I was feeling disheartened now thinking I wouldn't be able to transfer the bond to outside.
I spent Sunday night rethinking my strategy & how I needed to go back a step to indoors neutral territory & how I could make my next step smaller.
But then Monday I was reassured by someone that it sounded like I had cracked it & just needed to go for it & persevere, that Lola just needed time to settle.
So I nervously put them in her hutch instead of his, even though my initial plan was to use his as their shared home, but I changed my mind after seeing she was a little more settled when we used her run.
So Monday in they went into her hutch!

Jasper naturally went round chinning everything but was fine, didn't chase her! She was still skittish but settled more & more.

Today, Wednesday, they are having a lovely time together! They have a big 9 by 4 ft run attached to their double hutch & are happily hopping around in it together :)
I'm keeping a close eye on them but I'm thrilled!

I'm sorry that was one long post but I just wanted to share my story. Thanks for reading if you did.feel free to ask any questions if u have any.
Happy bunny bonding & merry Christmas, Laura xx

Last edited:
Sounds like you done well.
I'm glad they have each other for Christmas. Very cute.

(Pics please) =]

It was my Christmas wish so I'm very happy too!
I'm still figuring out posting the pics! So for now if anyone wants to see my lovely buns & photos from our bonding & tons of others have a look at the bunnies Instagram page! @jasperella_bunnies

Here are just a few photos from their dates :)

010_zpshophwjkz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

aw beautiful :) You must be delighted, bonded bunnies are the best Christmas present ever (in my experience)

aw beautiful :) You must be delighted, bonded bunnies are the best Christmas present ever (in my experience)

I am! Definitely agree with that sentiment! They are very happy in their home together which makes me feel a lot less guilty now I've got a bonded pair!

Back