• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Marking the End of an Era-Updated Friday 4th December

I've always remembered Alysia after reading of her story, I have no words but can only hope she was better treated. Big Libby is lovely, and very lucky she got to stay with you.

What I find so incomprehensible is that poor Alysia and the other buns were subjected to terrible cruelty and neglect yet you were the one treated as a criminal for doing the decent, humane thing by trying to take them out of there. The law really is an ass sometimes :(

What a wonderful thread. Brings back lots of memories about my many years on RU and all the amazing things you've done for so many rabbits over the years Jane :love:.

This is Bijou's story:

I received a call from the VN at the surgery my Rabbits were then registered with. The VN was more Rabbit Savvy than both Vets put together ! Apparently Bijou was bought in to the Surgery by the Mother of her owner as she, the Mother wanted her PTS. It transpired that the daughter had imported Bijou from France where she, the daughter, had been living with her French boy friend. The relationship broke down and the BF said that if the girl did not take Bijou away he would have Bijou for dinner !

So the girl arranged for Bijou to be flown from Paris to Heathrow. Bijou then spent 6 months in quarantine in Kennels near Heathrow. Eventually the girl, who was by then living back with her Mother, collected Bijou but found that she had become VERY aggressive. So much so that Bijou bit the daughter badly on the cheek resulting in the daughter needing surgery. Bijou also had a problem with a constant very mucky bum and episodes of gut stasis. Through-out all this she received Vet treatment at the surgery I then used. They advised the girl to have Bijou spayed in an attempt to improve her aggression. The girl reluctantly agreed (she did not believe in neutering or vaccinating........). But spaying made no difference to Bijou's aggression and her gut problems appeared to get worse. The owner then formed a new relationship and moved back to Paris leaving her Mum to look after Bijou. The Mum tried her best, but she just could not cope with her at all. Then Bijou got Flystrike. The VN who nursed her through it formed a bond with her and so was heart-broken when a few weeks later the Mother had had enough and bought Bijou in to be PTS. The VN intervened and said she knew of someone who might be able to offer her a home. The VN called me and I went over to collect Bijou.

She was initially just as aggressive as I had been told, both toward me and toward any Rabbit who dared go anywhere near her. But we worked on this for many months and eventually Bijou accepted me and allowed me to handle her on a daily basis and for me to go into her enclosure without risking the loss of a limb. Her GI tract problems remained a cause for concern. At the time I knew nothing about Megacolon. But with the knowledge I have subsequently gained about this nasty condition I am 99.9 % certain that Bijou was a Megacolon Rabbit.

Bijou was with us for about 2 years, but sadly it was a severe episode of gut stasis and bloat that claimed her life. She was only 4. I think she was reasonably content during her time here, as I said her aggression toward me almost completely resolved. I would not have trusted her not to attack any one else though and she would always have attacked other Rabbits. All attempts at bonding her with another Rabbit were a disaster, Bijou went for the genitals and/or jugular first and asked questions later. In the end I had to accept that she would live in an enclosure near other Rabbits but not bonded with any of them. I think Bijou was happy with this arrangement.

This is La Bijou Lapin

Such amazing buns with incrdible stories, they have all been very lucky to spend time in your care, and for you I can tell that they have all taken with them a piece of your heart.

Im so glad I missed this thread until now! I would have hated to have wait for more stories :oops:. Now I just have to wait for the rest! :lol:

Really enjoyed reading this Jane. You should feel very proud of all the lives you have improved and given a chance of happiness. :love:

You don't do things by half do you? :lol:

I don't recall Bijou's story.

She was very lucky to have you care for her, she was certainly a very pretty girl xx

Freddos was another Rabbit who originated from France. A local family bought him in a street market and totally irresponsibly imported him illegally hidden in their car. The woman knocked on my door one morning and said they were all off on holiday again but that she had forgotten to arrange care for Freddos............

So I said I'd look after him. When I went round to feed him and clean him out I found him shut in a tiny indoor type cage placed on the patio with just a torn bit of tarpaulin on top. He had no hay or bedding other than a bit of soiled newspaper. His only 'food' was a bit of stale french bread and a mouldy carrot. His water bottle was green and empty.

So I picked him up out of his prison and took him home to look after him there. I left a note for the woman explaining what I had done and why. She had told me that they were going to be away for a week so I assumed she'd call round on her return. After three weeks and hearing nothing from her I went round to see what was going on. They had returned home when planned and I was informed that I could keep Freddos and that she didn't want any payment for him. Honestly, some people !!

Freddos was a very friendly lad, but as he was entire he was also very frustrated. So the first thing to sort out was his neuter. During the procedure it was found that he had severe Dental disease, no surprise really given his previous diet. Freddos was only about 18 months old and because his Dental problems were so advanced I guessed that he was not destined for a long life. Although at that time I did not know that much about Dental disease in Rabbits I did know that Freddos' situation was about as bad as it could be.

He did cope for about 18 months, during which time I bonded him with Miss Bunny Penny ( how over-weight was she then...........)

But sadly his poor diet (he was never able to eat hay or grass) caused him a lot of gut problems on top of the dental problems. We lost Freddos
to a GI tract obstruction. He was not even 4 :cry:

Sorry for the poor quality pictures, again I am having to take photos of prints. I do not have a scanner !

Poor Freddos, I really don't understand some people!

I admit I was fairly ignorant about rabbits when I first had Rolo but goodness me, he would never have been left without hay, or bedding, or fresh water - you would think these things would be obvious.

I'm so glad he was able to live out his life with you xx

Malcolm was a very, very affectionate little Rabbit. I am afraid his story is a tragic one. I lost him when he choked. It was utterly devastating. At the time I had no idea what to do in such a situation. I did not know how to help him. I never, ever want to be in that position again. I will always feel that I failed him, which I did. He was only about 18 months of age, so he had his whole life ahead of him. If only I had had the knowledge of what to do he might have stood a chance of surviving.

It was also my fault that he choked in the first place. I was feeding my Rabbits about the worst possible type of muesli mix, one that contained locust beans. The Vet removed a lodged locust bean from Malcolm's throat during his PM.

That day is indelibly etched in my memory :cry:

Victoria Meldrew was another Rabbit whom Christine of Animal Lifeline Rescue sent my way. Victoria M had been rescued from a Back Yard Breeder. She was about 3 and she had been used as a breeding machine all her life. The Breeder wanted rid when Victoria M became infertile. Apparently the only time she, Victoria M, left her far too small hutch was to be mated up. The reason Christine contacted me about her was that Victoria Meldrew was VERY VERY aggressive. As she was a Giant Breed she was certainly a challenge to manage. On arrival Victoria M was found to have huge abscesses on her feet, all four of them. She also had several mammary tumours. Her aggression and infertility also pointed toward the chance that she had uterine cancer. After a serious of blood tests that showed all her major organs were functioning well we felt that she deserved a chance of a happier life. So she was spayed, she had a total mastectomy and her abscesses were debrided.She also needed extensive Dental treatment and she was found to have bilateral otitis too. I did question whether it was fair to put her through treatment with no guarantee of a good outcome. But the two Vets treating her felt we should try. I am glad I agreed as Victoria came through the major surgery really well and she made an amazing recovery. Although she was found to have uterine cancer, but there was no indication from Xrays that the cancer had already spread. Over the following months Victoria M really mellowed to the point that the Vets said we should drop the 'Meldrew' part of her name !!

Although Victoria M did have more problems with the abscesses, resulting in her needing further surgery including the amputation of 2 toes, she really did become a chilled out happy Rabbit. Eventually it became apparent that her abscesses were all recurring and she also developed sore hocks. At that point we all felt we had to let her go. We did not want her last weeks to be full of pain and for her to become miserable again. She passed peacefully after enjoying a day eating all of her favourite food.

Victoria Meldrew, my last photo of her

Poor love, thankfully another bunny that found their way to you.

I don't think I realised just how many rabbits lives you have changed. You truly are amazing xx

What makes it even more incomprehensible is that the BYB could continue to abuse other species of animals despite already being given a ban on keeping Horses.

The law IS an ass :evil: if for no other reason than it appears to protect the criminals and punishes those who would stand up for what's right. :(
Jane, can you tell us, what kind of rabbit was Alysia? She looks like part rex, part hare. I've never seen such huge ears (upright) and such a long and sculpted face as hers. She was beautiful. :love:

I think this is the first time I have heard of Bijou (my gosh, what a stunner!) and Freddos, but I do recall hearing a bit about Victoria M. ...goodness, you really are the bunnies' angel of angels, Jane. :love:

Your experiences and memories never cease to amaze me. I have so much respect for you, my dear friend! I don't know that I could have gone through all you have even in these few pages and still have my sanity intact, much less my temper. I would've had to take a few of these 'people' apart piece by piece and put them back together again. :evil:

The law IS an ass :evil: if for no other reason than it appears to protect the criminals and punishes those who would stand up for what's right. :(
Jane, can you tell us, what kind of rabbit was Alysia? She looks like part rex, part hare. I've never seen such huge ears (upright) and such a long and sculpted face as hers. She was beautiful. :love:

I think this is the first time I have heard of Bijou (my gosh, what a stunner!) and Freddos, but I do recall hearing a bit about Victoria M. ...goodness, you really are the bunnies' angel of angels, Jane. :love:

Your experiences and memories never cease to amaze me. I have so much respect for you, my dear friend! I don't know that I could have gone through all you have even in these few pages and still have my sanity intact, much less my temper. I would've had to take a few of these 'people' apart piece by piece and put them back together again. :evil:

Alysia was a Rex. Just not from a line bred to have a more 'cobby' conformation. The only thing that she had as a benefit to her really as the more 'cobby' the facial structure-ie the further removed from the facial conformation of a wild Rabbit, the more likely Dental problems can be.

Back