• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gastric Ulcers

No problem Liz. Vets don't often understand microbiology, for the most part they don't need to, but for future reference for folks, if they were to tell a lab what antibiotics were in use they would be able to add something to deactivate.
You actually have to test antibiotics for microbial contamination before they go into the supply chain. So the method has to be able to demonstrate that the most common organisms can be grown during the test, in the presence of the antibiotic. It's all clever stuff!

This is really interesting stuff, RF, thanks so much!

Can I ask a question, to which the answer is probably no ... Does the same apply to a urine test? If some one/some bun was on antibiotics, could they also be excluded from the test if they were not working but still in the 'system' as it were? x

It wouldn't matter what the test was of Mighty Max. It's possible to recover microorganisms in the presence of antibiotics regardless.

It seems your little rabbit isn't on ranitidine now. I was just posting to say Doughnut is on it long term with metroclopramide. It has really helped her as she suffers from gastric reflux and has no side effects.

So I had to take poor George to the vet last nigh because he was not eating or pooing. Over the night he was eating and pooing no problems. They pulled his blood again. Red blood cells look really good, his calcium levels were a little high, liver levels and white blood cells looked. I had them do a barium swallow.

Just got the result back.

His gut is moving great.

He does have appear to have lesion about 38 mm in diameter. It could be a tumor but for his age and what happen more likely a ulcer. Little wonder he does not feel like eating.

With the the size of it appear he will be on long term meds. Whether he gets the raitidine or a pepcid injection to control his pH.

I'm glad you have an answer now. I really hope the medication works for him.

Sorry the thread went off topic a little x

Back