• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strange licking/Grooming

lenslady

Alpha Buck
Gypsy is finally allowing herself out of the enclosure confidently now but she has this strange habit of licking the leather furniture :shock:. I stopped her doing it and then 10 minutes later when my back was turned she was doing it again. It is as though she is grooming but on the leather chair. Confused to be honest but not too worried either. Does anybody have any ideas why she seems to have a fetish for the leather furniture ? :roll:

No idea why the leather furniture...perhaps she just wants to groom something? My two bunnies have their soft toys, and happily groom each other and the soft toys!!!

I have just been researching it and from what i have read so far it seems it might be a common thing in house Rabbit behaviour but I have also read something that might be related to a salt attraction :roll: Really not sure xxx

One of my rabbits does this, I've been told that it's either:
a)because the rabbit has decided that you are worthy(ish) of their time and effort in grooming. A dominant rabbit will expect to be groomed by a lesser rabbit, mutual grooming between two rabbits shows a fair amount of respects for each other and occasionally a strong minded rabbit will groom your clothes or your furniture to show they respect/have a bond with you but they don't want it to go to your head so rather than directly grooming you they groom around you.
b)no matter how house proud you are, humans sweat and that leaves salt on the leather which they like to lick.

One of my rabbits does this, I've been told that it's either:
a)because the rabbit has decided that you are worthy(ish) of their time and effort in grooming. A dominant rabbit will expect to be groomed by a lesser rabbit, mutual grooming between two rabbits shows a fair amount of respects for each other and occasionally a strong minded rabbit will groom your clothes or your furniture to show they respect/have a bond with you but they don't want it to go to your head so rather than directly grooming you they groom around you.
b)no matter how house proud you are, humans sweat and that leaves salt on the leather which they like to lick.

Thank you :) I rather like the idea that she accepts me now :lol: But I have just found some info on the salt thing to, so unsure. As long as it is safe I really don't mind ;) xx

Back