• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit is getting eye removed tomorrow

Hi guys, thank you so much for the positive vibes, thankfully my little fighter is doing really well. She's been eating and she has pooped too! I am so proud of her. She isn't herself however, she's so so withdrawn, quiet, barely moving and just seems in shock but she's eating like a champ and pooping etc going to feed her water through her mouth and keep making sure she keeps her fluid etc up I am honestly so proud.. longest hours of my life. It's actually beginning to look like it was E. Cuniculi that caused her to go blind, there was growth there but they believe its cause of a lot of damage and her losing weight. She's on pancur and strong pain medication. I'm just glad I made the decision to get her eye out when I did, feel I did the right thing as she was getting worse. Her Mummy Mindy is being incredible! She went with her to vets and the vet believes its thanks to her she's eating etc appt she starting grooming her wound the minute she got out of surgery and putting her head on her, cuddling into her and taking care of her. I have her inside right now.. and she's all cuddled into mummy. She is very quiet, not herself at all but hoping she'll perk up in a few days time. Love my bunnies so much.. thanks for all the well wishes.

Can anyone help me work out how to attach an image? Follow FAQ but there's no manage attachments even not on quick reply? xx

nlwuig.jpg
[/IMG]

Thank you, she's gorgeous :) definitely a lot quieter but to be expected but she seems health wise to be ok :) x

I'm looking at E. Cuniculi and i really don't think she has that/had that, she's had none of the symptoms x

Aww glad bunny is doing ok and eating and pooping, all good signs.

The vet suspects my bunnys eye problems are due to ec too and from what I can gather ec that is related to eye problems is a bit different to ec that affects other areas, it can just stay in the eyes and not cause other neurological problems. I don't know a lot about ec but have tried to read up on it. Apart from my bunny being blind in one eye and 2 lens ruptures causing bleeding in the eye, he doesn't have any obvious ec symptoms.

Thank you, yeah that's the same with me Beki, no signs are all apart from being blind and rupturing but she did have a growth too. Xx

Just testing my signature, its huge! Haha don't know how to make it smaller.. but thats me and my buns :)

Thank you. Shes doing a lot better today guys but im in a right state, i cannot get her medication into her on my own, ive tried everything, laying her on her side, her back, tilting her head back, holding her close, she has clawed living daylights out of me, spits them out etc its impossible on my own, i end up shouting for my boyfriend to help me (he takes ages to come and help too) hes planning on leaving me tomorrow morning to go home and i live alone, why cant he just do the boyfriend thing and offer to help and take care of her whilst im struggling so much, we even struggle to get meds down her together. The vets cant inject her with fiberplex or her panacur which is very important right now, she also has pain meds and antibiotics still to prevent infection. Honestly in a right state over this and dunno what to do and wish he'd just do the boyfriend thing and offer to stay and help :(

Thank you. Shes doing a lot better today guys but im in a right state, i cannot get her medication into her on my own, ive tried everything, laying her on her side, her back, tilting her head back, holding her close, she has clawed living daylights out of me, spits them out etc its impossible on my own, i end up shouting for my boyfriend to help me (he takes ages to come and help too) hes planning on leaving me tomorrow morning to go home and i live alone, why cant he just do the boyfriend thing and offer to help and take care of her whilst im struggling so much, we even struggle to get meds down her together. The vets cant inject her with fiberplex or her panacur which is very important right now, she also has pain meds and antibiotics still to prevent infection. Honestly in a right state over this and dunno what to do and wish he'd just do the boyfriend thing and offer to stay and help :(

Where abouts in the UK are you ? Maybe an experienced RU member may live near you and be able to offer some help ?

I'm in the North East of England, in a small town, I was thinking that but I have work Monday and can't get there, its a nightmare.

If you have meds to put into a syringe (fibreplex and Panacur) then you could draw the measured amount into the syringe and then add a little of Ella's banana baby food:

https://shop.ellaskitchen.co.uk/products/bananas-bananas-bananas

.... unless you've a rare bunny who doesn't like bananas. I find it works as they like the taste of the banana and before you know it, the rest is down them. Then they are ready for a further treat :D It may get you over tomorrow until your boyfriend comes back to help you!

Back