• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Syringe Feeding - Through the night also ?

It sounds as though things are moving through now !! Hopefully as more comes out (sorry, you aren't having lunch are you ?................... ! ) then he will feel more and more hungry.

I know what u mean Jane. Don't worry I have a strong stomach besides rabbit poop is pretty harmless! Although we have some poos and he is eatting a little am still worried as he is grinding his teeth from time to time. I worry that the stasis may not be from fur / mild bunged upness but from something else. Why would he continue to grind if things were moving along ???

I haven't much experience of GS nickybunny1 but I'm hoping the grinding is because things are continuing to move along but do you know what brought on his GS in the first place? I mainly wanted to say you're doing an amazing job, he is lucky to have you. Sending positive thoughts

Thanks Joey. No i don't know what has brought on the stasis. Code is 8 and only had one other gassy episode in his life . He is always healthy. Hope ur guess about grinding is correct as I don't want to think there is something else going on. I am not sure weather to give him more vetergesic if he is tooth grinding. Thinking I might have to.

I really hope whatever brought it on has resolved itself. I did attend the lectures for rabbit owners by Frances Harcourt-Brown yesterday & one topic was gut stasis / blockage / bloat. She did say there is always a cause :( If it helps I could revisit my notes & summarise for you ?

I really hope whatever brought it on has resolved itself. I did attend the lectures for rabbit owners by Frances Harcourt-Brown yesterday & one topic was gut stasis / blockage / bloat. She did say there is always a cause :( If it helps I could revisit my notes & summarise for you ?

Yes it was a really interesting presentation and made me wish I was a vet to be able to look after my rabbits better!
It's often difficult and impossible to find a cause, if all the usual suspects (teeth etc)have been eliminated.

I hope he does well :thumb:

Hi Joey. Many thanks for ur kind offer to revisit ur notes but I don't think unless an X-ray and bloods r done and maybe ultrasounds that we could determine the exact cause as it could be anything. Code has continued to nibble more at his herbs but still needs to be syringe fed. If he doesn't improve more in a few days I will have to go done the investigatory route. Hope it doesn't come to that. Thanks again ur offer was very kind.

Hi Joey. Many thanks for ur kind offer to revisit ur notes but I don't think unless an X-ray and bloods r done and maybe ultrasounds that we could determine the exact cause as it could be anything. Code has continued to nibble more at his herbs but still needs to be syringe fed. If he doesn't improve more in a few days I will have to go done the investigatory route. Hope it doesn't come to that. Thanks again ur offer was very kind.

Hi Nicky

Have you asked your vet about giving fluids? They often make a bunny feel so better that they start to eat xx

He was given a good amount of sub q fluids yesterday . I have also given him a few mls of peppermint tea as well. He is eatting lots of parsley and coriander and some grated carrot and banana. I have syringe fed him 10mls 4 times today since approx 7.30am. His appetite is improving. I am not sure if I should syringe feed him through the night tho or maybe once say at 3am perhaps as he is eatting bits of veg just not any hay or pellets yet.

He was given a good amount of sub q fluids yesterday . I have also given him a few mls of peppermint tea as well. He is eatting lots of parsley and coriander and some grated carrot and banana. I have syringe fed him 10mls 4 times today since approx 7.30am. His appetite is improving. I am not sure if I should syringe feed him through the night tho or maybe once say at 3am perhaps as he is eatting bits of veg just not any hay or pellets yet.

You are doing fab looking after him. The fact that your Vet is on the ball re the importance of fluids is great too. After gut stasis a Rabbit may not eat pellets for a couple of days, as Cody is eating something for himself and you are topping him up with syringe feeds I would not be unduly worried about him not eating pellets at this stage. He will be getting oral fluids in the syringe feed and the peppermint tea. Veg contains water too.

I'd probably want to keep him on the gut motility meds for a few days. Perhaps give the Vet a call today to update him about how Cody is doing. The Vet may suggest taking you on as a Bunny Nurse for any inpatients !!

Thank you for responding Nicky. Glad to hear he's had fluids. They make a world of difference :thumb:

Hi everyone. Code is improving really well . Eatting lots of veg and herbs and quite a few pellets softened in water. Jane a nurse !! Thanks for the compliment but I go to pieces at times like this and if it wasn't for u and other forum members I wouldn't be able to do it - everyone's advice and vibes are so valuable. He still isn't 100% but another few days should hopefully do it. When doing one of the evening feeds as my husband was working my dad had to help and Code peed on him!! Now for a good nights sleep zzzz

Yes I must give a load of credit to my vet. It has been a great weight off my mind knowing I can rely on her and she really does care. Pity she is nearly 1.5 hrs away but soooo worth the drive. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Yes I must give a load of credit to my vet. It has been a great weight off my mind knowing I can rely on her and she really does care. Pity she is nearly 1.5 hrs away but soooo worth the drive. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

I used to travel that distance for my rabbits and all boarders and fosters. In fact for a time I followed my vet round the country as they were so helpful ... So glad you're getting sorted and can get some shut eye ;)

Back