• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what age is right?

Beau's only just turned 4 1/2 months old what age can i start giving her fresh greens and veg i was advised 6months old?

If a kit is weaned onto Veg whilst still with his/her Mum they can continue to eat it from the very start. Otherwise it is best to avoid introducing Veg until the age of about 12 weeks. When doing so introduce just one type of Veg at a time and in a very small portion. Personally I prefer to feed fresh herbs rather than Veg as IME herbs are far less likely to cause GI tract issues such as 'gas' (all brassicas are known to sometimes cause this). Carrots are not ideal due to the high sugar content, as is the case with fruit. Not only is too much sugar bad for the teeth it can also cause GI tract dysbiosis. So to start with I would avoid feeding them.

I started introducing mine small bits of veg from 14 weeks, literally 1 sprout peeling or a broccoli leaf, small leaf of spinach or the smallest brocoli head and started to increase it. My buns are now 5 months old & Similar to Jane, do eat more herbs than veg! Mainly coriander, mint and basil are defo the favourites. In the evenings, recently they also love carrot tops, (just the green bits). But even at 5 months, they only have small amounts. Literally only 4-5 leaves each! :)

thank you everbunny i might pick some fresh herbs up from supermarket later today then and give her a weekend treat see if she likes it :)

thank you everbunny i might pick some fresh herbs up from supermarket later today then and give her a weekend treat see if she likes it :)

I think at her age you can introduce veg of all sorts, but slowly and in small portions. Don't feed the same food too often (e.g. broccoli) even if she appears to love it (and most buns DO love veg!).

Herbs are also useful, particularly coriander (which is lower in calcium), and greens and kale in small amounts.

Good luck x

Back