• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit behaviour during adolescence?

Twobunnies

New Kit
Hi, I have 2 female rabbits, one is 7 months old and the other one is 9 months old. They got along greatly before, but now since they're going through adolescence they have been starting to act weirdly. Today, I let my bunnies out to play, and they started doing weird things again. first, they started to chase each other in circles, then one of the bunnies began mounting the other one continuously. After that they chased each other around super fast, it kind of seemed like they were fighting. But then, the next second they were snuggling and grooming each other, for some weird reasons. Then I left for a while, and when I came back, there were drips of blood on the floor.Is it possible that I actually got a male and a female, and that they are mating, or are they just establishing their dominance? What do you think it means? And should I seperate them?

Have you had them sexed by a good vet? Did they check them thoroughly when they had their vaccinations?

If not, then take them to a good vet asap for sexing, that will answer your problem immediately.

However at that age if one is a male it is also pretty obvious to anyone - he will have two pinkish often slightly wrinkled pouchy sacks either side of his penis (you wont see the penis unless he is excited). They will be covered by fluff but a bit a poking around should uncover them.

Failing that if they are both girls then they are mounting for dominance and fights will start soon unless they are neutered - but actually what you describe sounds very much like mating behaviour - and your female will now be pregnant.

I very very strongly suspect the one that sprayed is male. Females cannot actually manage to 'spray' - though they do a good distance wee at times.

This means that (unless they have both been wrongly sexed and are both males - which is not impossible and would also lead to spraying and dominance humping) your female WILL be pregnant and she is very very young for that. PS The blood is not to do with the mating so they need checking for wounds

if they are both female then its time to get them spayed, it will help reduce the behaviour and the risk of uterine cancer, its all hormonal.

Back