• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need urgent advice please! U/d She's gone

Vetergesic is usually what makes them drowsy so ask if she was given this. One of my buns reacts awful to it and looks as though he is about to pass away. He goes all floppy and unresponsive and I don't like the idea of buns being on it because it can slow their guts down. My vet actually told me she doesn't like to use it in buns either. If she hasn't had an opiate like vetergesic then I would be very worried.

I think she needs to have that dental before Monday. Are your vets not open Saturday morning?

Sending vibes. x

Have spoken to the vets again and they said they don't have the capacity to admit her, they basically said the same as Jane and Vegan Bunny though, that the vetergesic has made her really drowsy. I've just got to keep going up every hour and feeding her (I'm leaving her alone with Barney and checking on her as she seems to get more stressed having humans around.)

I've checked and my vets are open on Saturday mornings :oops: Didn't know this previously. I'm hoping they are open over Christmas though. I'll try and get her in as soon as I can, they are very good with rabbits so I hope they'll know how serious it is.

I'm so grateful my mum and dad are here :love: They've done all the Christmas dinner prep and fed and watered the other bunnies, and my dad's warmed the outdoor bunnies' heat pads and has been playing with Barney to keep him busy and give Priscilla some peace!

Have spoken to the vets again and they said they don't have the capacity to admit her, they basically said the same as Jane and Vegan Bunny though, that the vetergesic has made her really drowsy. I've just got to keep going up every hour and feeding her (I'm leaving her alone with Barney and checking on her as she seems to get more stressed having humans around.)

I've checked and my vets are open on Saturday mornings :oops: Didn't know this previously. I'm hoping they are open over Christmas though. I'll try and get her in as soon as I can, they are very good with rabbits so I hope they'll know how serious it is.

I'm so grateful my mum and dad are here :love: They've done all the Christmas dinner prep and fed and watered the other bunnies, and my dad's warmed the outdoor bunnies' heat pads and has been playing with Barney to keep him busy and give Priscilla some peace!

Good luck with everything. Vetergesic had such a startlingly drowsy effect on one of my rabbits I won't have it used now. It's very difficult to manage, though it does of course wear off, thank goodness.

I hope all is a bit better with you all today and onwards .... good luck xx

Priscilla died on Christmas Day.

I had given her her recovery fluid and she seemed the same as before so I went to my neighbours for a Christmas drink and to say hello. I came back half an hour later and she was dead. She was cold and stiff.

I've just spent the last 2 hours disinfecting and washing everything she came into contact with in case it was something that could pass to Barney.

I've never lost a pet before, not my own pet. I feel like an evil human being for going for a drink and leaving her to die. Nothing anyone can say could make me feel worse than I do right now. I wish I had been there. I should have pushed harder for the vets to admit her. I feel like I've killed her.

My sweet baby is led in her carry case wrapped in her blanket downstairs, she's so cold. Barney looks so withdrawn. I don't know what to do. Why did she have to go??

I'm so very sorry for your sudden loss :(

Sending lots of ((hugs)) to you and Barney.

Please don't blame yourself, you've done nothing wrong. You got her to the vets and seen ASAP (on Christmas Day), she was given treatment and you were fighting for her. You weren't to know that she was going to pass away; you did everything that you could in the situation.

Sleep tight beautiful Priscilla xx

I am so very sorry :cry: Sometimes despite everyone's best efforts a Rabbit can simply not recover. It does not mean that it was your fault. Although I understand that you feel it is. We all feel totally responsible for everything concerning our Rabbits.

What a horrible Christmas this has been for you :cry:

RIP Priscilla xx

Last edited:
I'm really sorry to hear that you have lost Priscilla, please don't blame yourself, you did everything you could. Binky free Priscilla and hugs for you xxxx

Gosh I'm so sorry you lost your poor girl on Christmas day. It really is very scary how quickly rabbits can deteriorate past the point of no return.

Sleep tight lovely girl. :(

I am so very sorry. You did everything you could and loved her so much.
Binky free little girl.

I'm really sorry to hear you lost Priscilla. Sounds like you really did everything you could. From my own experience too, when they deteriorate they go so quickly, little can be done. It sounds though like she died in her own home, with the people and things she loved and loved her closeby. No one could want for more at the end.

I'm so sorry. Binky Free Priscilla.

Please don't blame yourself. You did all you could for her.

Oh no :cry: I'm so so sorry :cry: please don't blame yourself, you did everything you could for her.

Sending hugs xx

Binky free priscilla x

Don't blame yourself, you did a lot more than some people would have done on Christmas day and got her to the vet, sometimes bunnies just get too poorly and can't recover no matter what you do.

I'm so sorry :cry:

You did all you could for her, please don't blame yourself.

Sweet dreams precious Priscilla and hugs for you and Barney xx

Back