• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit afraid of the dark?!

Tilia

Warren Scout
We moved house a few months ago and have moved our bunnies indoors to their own room - generally they seem pretty happy and love running around the house in the evenings. However, Elsa wakes us up with thumping almost every night :( She usually calms down if I go in and talk to her, and she did also thump a lot in their old shed. They have plenty of places to hide, lots of toys and hay, and have had a vet check recently. The walls are a bit thin so it's possible they can hear the neighbours, and it's likely that foxes and cats come through the garden.

We had guests recently so I ended up leaving the light on in desperation once she started thumping - and there was no more thumping the whole 5 nights they were here! This is not great for our electricity bill so I'm considering a nightlight, but it seems like she's happier when it's not dark...

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

I use a nightlight for my pair otherwise Leo would thump and freak out all night. He is deaf and his eyesight isn't amazing so I guess it scares him, with the nightlight he is fine :)

They thump a few times around midnight, no idea why and it's not every day, but it used to be constant until like 2am bless him. The nightlight fixed it though :D

Why not use an energy saving bulb? You could also maybe leave a radio on all night.

Does he have plenty of places to hide?

You can get led plugon nightlights which are cheap to run and not too bright. Im not sure 24/7 day light is good for bunnies. The radio sounds worth ago too.

Thanks all! LED nightlight has been ordered... that's a good idea about the radio as well, thanks! :)

I would definitely use some sort of nightlight like Tamsin suggested rather than a main light if possible, as it's important to have the distinction between night and day for their circadian rhythm.

Back