• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gunky and wet eyes?

FloLo

Alpha Buck
Hi there!

Checked on Flo this morning at about 8am and she had a bit of gunk in her eye. Cleaned it out with warm water cotton swabs!
Checked her just now, and she was wet all around her eyes. I cleaned her eyes up a bit and booked an appointment to see the vet tomorrow, so I can take her to work with me and put her in the ward as I'm on the ward shift which is convenient.

Anyone had any experience of eye problems in rabbits? I assume it's bacterial/conjunctivitis type thing? What is the sort of treatment?
Just preparing myself!

Hi there!

Checked on Flo this morning at about 8am and she had a bit of gunk in her eye. Cleaned it out with warm water cotton swabs!
Checked her just now, and she was wet all around her eyes. I cleaned her eyes up a bit and booked an appointment to see the vet tomorrow, so I can take her to work with me and put her in the ward as I'm on the ward shift which is convenient.

Anyone had any experience of eye problems in rabbits? I assume it's bacterial/conjunctivitis type thing? What is the sort of treatment?
Just preparing myself!

When you say gunk, was it white? Often elongated tooth roots can cause a weepy eye, but white indicates infection. Rabbits can sometimes need their tear ducts flushing if the gunk in there becomes infected. It's a simple and painless procedure. Often anti-bacterial drops are prescribed.

It could be a graze from a piece of hay which has set up a bit of infection. Often when a rabbit's immune system is a bit low, these things emerge :(

Do you work in a vet's surgery? :wave:

When you say gunk, was it white? Often elongated tooth roots can cause a weepy eye, but white indicates infection. Rabbits can sometimes need their tear ducts flushing if the gunk in there becomes infected. It's a simple and painless procedure. Often anti-bacterial drops are prescribed.

It could be a graze from a piece of hay which has set up a bit of infection. Often when a rabbit's immune system is a bit low, these things emerge :(

Do you work in a vet's surgery? :wave:

Yes it was white. Ok, thanks for the info!
I thought maybe it is because it's suddenly got colder/rainier here. I have no idea if she was previously and indoor or outdoor rabbit so it may be her first cold season outside!
Yes I do! I'm currently training to be a vet nurse. It's very convenient when it comes to treatment, but I still don't know everything! :lol:

Yes it was white. Ok, thanks for the info!
I thought maybe it is because it's suddenly got colder/rainier here. I have no idea if she was previously and indoor or outdoor rabbit so it may be her first cold season outside!
Yes I do! I'm currently training to be a vet nurse. It's very convenient when it comes to treatment, but I still don't know everything! :lol:

Is it harder when your own pet is ill?

I hope you get her sorted when you get back into work :D

Currently treating my rabbit for conjunctivitis because she scratched her eye. We have eye drops to be put in between 3 and 6 times a day. We are on day 4 and her eye is looking much better already. The fun is catching her to give her the drops, once caught she is a super star at letting me put them in but it is a two person job, one to hold and one to put drops in. Hope this helps.

Currently treating my rabbit for conjunctivitis because she scratched her eye. We have eye drops to be put in between 3 and 6 times a day. We are on day 4 and her eye is looking much better already. The fun is catching her to give her the drops, once caught she is a super star at letting me put them in but it is a two person job, one to hold and one to put drops in. Hope this helps.

I don't mind the holding bit, but it's holding AND keeping the eye open long enough to get the drops in :lol::lol:

Is it harder when your own pet is ill?

I hope you get her sorted when you get back into work :D

Most definitely! I get so worried about her, as I know what certains signs can mean! But I suppose it means I can spot it quicker. A lot of the vets/nurses don't operate on/inject etc. their own animals because they feel bad :lol:
Thank you! The vet had a look at her today. She has primary conjunctivitis (which is rare in rabbits - it's usually secondary to something else!). So hopefully she'll get better soon :)

I have some drops now for her, only twice a day luckily! Haha oh dear, luckily Flo is very good and just sits there for me to put the drops in! Usually give her a treat to keep her distracted :lol:

We had to give Truffle eye drops earlier this year. We found the 'bunny burrito' (i.e. wrapping her up in a towel) enabled us to do it with just one person.

We had to give Truffle eye drops earlier this year. We found the 'bunny burrito' (i.e. wrapping her up in a towel) enabled us to do it with just one person.

Haha yeah I used to have to do that to give a previous bun metacam! Luckily Flo is more amiable :lol:

I am having to clean mabels eyes daily, as she always used to get sleep I them, and sox was always there to clean her eye's for her, since the day he left us, her eye's I have had to do myself with alittle lukewarm water on cotton wool ball

I am having to clean mabels eyes daily, as she always used to get sleep I them, and sox was always there to clean her eye's for her, since the day he left us, her eye's I have had to do myself with alittle lukewarm water on cotton wool ball

Yes I find it's only when the partner isn't there that I notice the true extent of weepy eyes ..

Back