• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Starting from scratch, what essentials do we need??

hedgepig

Young Bun
Morning we are adopting a male and female bonded pair of rabbits from our local rescue. I have a 6ft x 10ft Aviary and a 6ft x 2 ft hutch being made as we speak. The Aviary and hutch are going on a concrete base (Hutch inside the Aviary, in the long term I plan to separate and connect them but want to make a decision on how to do that once the rabbits have settled in with us.)

So what other essentials do I need to buy? I'm thinking litter tray, food and water bowls, water bottle, hay rack, tunnel, something to hide in.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Sounds awesome!

Litter tray wise, 32L storage boxes work really well as they can't pee over the edges then :p with mine I just line with newspaper and fill with hay, super easy to clean out.
You might find they will be rather messy with toilet habits for a short while but that's just new territory and settling in, just keep all hay in a contained area (in litter tray and around litter tray or litter trays in hay racks) :)

All of mine use water bowls but I have one bun who will drink from both so she has a bottle attached to her run and her bowl is in the hutch. It's nicer and more natural for them to drink from a bowl :) they don't spend ages on a bottle then, I always wonder if they get tongue ache.. :lol:

Builder pipes work well for tunnels, I have 2 and one of them is about 5ft long, the rabbits love it!

Can't think of anything else atm..! you can get cute little huts off eBay fairly cheap, I have one and it's great :D

thank you, I keep thinking i'm missing something.
There is a roof going on the aviary (why is aviary so hard to spell?:D).
Do you think something to climb on would be good? I also have an old wheel barrow I'm going to take the legs and wheel off and fill with soil for them to dig in.

they don't spend ages on a bottle then, I always wonder if they get tongue ache.
Mine pokes the side of his nose at the ball and goes from there. Not sure he knows what to do with his bowl!

I use a hanging basket as a hayrack because the run roof is quite low: one of the 'window-box' type screwed to some wood is very effective too, I'll be getting one for my new hutch thing when I decide what I want :D

I love the wheelbarrow idea!

thank you Kermit, I feel a bit daft at the ripe old age of 48 getting soooo excited about rabbits, but i am really excited :D:D . Must do some work before I get fired, i'll be back later.

thank you Kermit, I feel a bit daft at the ripe old age of 48 getting soooo excited about rabbits, but i am really excited :D:D . Must do some work before I get fired, i'll be back later.

Well I am 39 and I am the same :)
Age is but a number!! Bunnies are fab!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds awesome so far! Your buns would probably love some toys/enrichment as well. My two love their treat ball the most, I put their daily pellets ration in it and they spend ages chasing it around the patio! :lol:

They also have one of these (I use it to put herbs/veg in sometimes):

food_ball_2_560772df.jpg

Besides that, any wood or willow toys will be very popular! :D

thank you Kermit, I feel a bit daft at the ripe old age of 48 getting soooo excited about rabbits, but i am really excited :D:D .
I think we're all the same here! My OH and I are 37 and we were soooo excited over getting our buns earlier this year. And you haven't seen anything until you've seen a 37 year old man get completely gooey over bunnies! :D :lol:

Morning we are adopting a male and female bonded pair of rabbits from our local rescue. I have a 6ft x 10ft Aviary and a 6ft x 2 ft hutch being made as we speak. The Aviary and hutch are going on a concrete base (Hutch inside the Aviary, in the long term I plan to separate and connect them but want to make a decision on how to do that once the rabbits have settled in with us.)

So what other essentials do I need to buy? I'm thinking litter tray, food and water bowls, water bottle, hay rack, tunnel, something to hide in.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Sounds like you've got all the essentials! Is the aviary roofed with something solid like roofing sheets? Bunnies really appreciate the cover from the rain :D Your setup sounds like a fantastic size. When you come to attaching it separately there are a few options... I personally love the runaround setups: http://www.runaround.co.uk/ but boyles pet housing (Daniel on this forum) do some joining tunnels too: http://www.boylespethousing.co.uk/accessories.html. He also does some huts etc on that page too.

Sounds like you've thought of all the essentials! I second the idea of underbed storage boxes as litter trays - they're lovely and big, and the high sides are helpful. Enclosed/lidded trays are also good for outdoors to stop the hay blowing everywhere! Catit do a couple of litter trays which I like: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=catit litter. I got the jumbo and it's nice and big enough for 2 bunnies. I removed the flap though, because my bunnies are thick :oops:

A large water bottle and bowl are the best, as in summer it'll take longer for the water to warm up, in winter it'll take longer for the water to freeze, and the large size means you can put a ping pong ball or something in to help prevent freezing too. I prefer this bottle: http://www.johnhopewell.co.uk/default.asp?template=productdetail.page.xml&productid=22 because it's easy to clean, it doesn't break when dropped, you can re-fill it easily from the top and the spout gives a good water flow unlike the ball bearing type. I just then use a big bowl like this for water http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002BF254G/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1410448687&sr=1&keywords=mason+cash+bowl.

Hay racks are good but many of us on here have done away with them because some bunnies won't use hay racks, and they just put all the hay in the litter tray for their buns to nibble at. Other bunnies on the other hand will ignore litter in a tray but will eat it out of a hay rack! Lots of people use these as hay racks: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80010222/, or the half moon planters designed to go on the walls also provide a large amount of hay with good bar spacing for bunnies.

Bunnies love tunnels and there are lots around. Fabric ones are nice but they do blow around outside, so plastic heavier ones are fantastic too. If you do order from runaround an extra tunnel would be great, and you can easily saw it into smaller pieces too. Bunnies also tend to love standing on stuff. You'll probably find them on top of your hutch if it's not on legs :lol: But various things to jump on are always fun. You can make your own or buy them from various places. Kids plastic chairs and tables are great, and you can find quite a few in ikea etc!

I am the daft young age of 50 and very excited about the baby bunnies we are getting this weekend so welcome to the daft club :wave:.

I am 30 and I don't think age matters as along as you love your bunnies and give them all they need :love:. enjoy your new additions they will be a joy to watch and I hope you get lost of binkys for many years to come:D

Good luck with your bunnies, your avairy sounds amazing.

Tunnels are my bunnies favourite toys along with things they can chew (as otherwise the hutch/run gets a beating!!), my bunnies also love platforms...

Don't forget to stock up on food, "healthy" treats (good for making friends), hay and your choice of bedding.

Do you mind me asking whar rescue you are getting them from?

Good luck.

Hannah :)

Back