• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Forage books

luna

Mama Doe
Can anyone recommend a good book for foraging please that identifies all the plants etc?

Also this might be a silly question but I will ask anyway. Do you need to make sure that the place you are foraging in is safe from myxo and vhd ...or is that even possible. The reason I ask is that I live near the phoenix Park in Dublin and that is where I would be going foraging but I am nervous about bringing home disease. There are deer, badgers,hedgehogs,squirrels,rabbits,mice, rats etc and I don't want to put rosies health at risk. She is vaccinated against both but my understanding is that she could still contract a milder dose of myxo.

But seeing how much she loved the apple leaves this week I would like to get more goodies for her :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Answer to first question

The RWAF is in the middle of publishing one - we have just got the text and images to them and they will be launching at the RWAF Conference in October -

It will of course also be available to non RWA members!

Its designed as an introductory handbook and has things like nominess ratings' and hints on storage, and photos for identification!

Answer to 2nd question - well technicaly yes they could pass something on . VHD is the most transferable but the vaccine against that is pretty good so very very unlikely to get VHD after vaccination.

Myxo you are correct they can get a milder form - the transference is predominantly biting insects so unless you bring these home as well then foragng is not going to add to the likelihood of catching.

SOME studies suggest that myxo can also be transferred by body secretions left on weeds etc BUT in those studies there was no way of ensuring that it was not actually the biting insects that had transferred the myxo rather than anything else.

I believe that - as long as the major issues like dog poo and pollution - are avoided then a rabbit that has a lot of forage is generally healthier and happier and that this outweighs the very small risk of importing myxo onto site -

It is the biting insects such as mozzies and fleas that are the real issues with myxo.

Answer to 2nd question - well technicaly yes they could pass something on . VHD is the most transferable but the vaccine against that is pretty good so very very unlikely to get VHD after vaccination.

Myxo you are correct they can get a milder form - the transference is predominantly biting insects so unless you bring these home as well then foragng is not going to add to the likelihood of catching.

SOME studies suggest that myxo can also be transferred by body secretions left on weeds etc BUT in those studies there was no way of ensuring that it was not actually the biting insects that had transferred the myxo rather than anything else.

I believe that - as long as the major issues like dog poo and pollution - are avoided then a rabbit that has a lot of forage is generally healthier and happier and that this outweighs the very small risk of importing myxo onto site -

It is the biting insects such as mozzies and fleas that are the real issues with myxo.

Thanks for all the info... Very reassuring :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Back