• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pellet advice please

pigletlove

New Kit
Hi, I have 2 rabbits both have been with me for 4 weeks now. Poppy is 12 weeks and Ralph is 17 weeks, they are both sisters but from different litters but have lived together since very young as mum got pregnant soon after having Ralph. My question is one or both of them have been producing excess cecotropes (excuse the spelling) I thought I was feeding too many pellets and have reduced them to one egg cup morning and evening, but I am still seeing them, they do eat plenty of hay and grass, and seem happy and healthy. They are both on burgess junior and now Ralph is 17 weeks should I be moving her on to adult pellets, what about poppy should she stay on the junior or would she be ok on adult too, and I have read burgess pellets can cause excess cecotropes so was wondering if I should move them on to science selective?

Any advice on this would be great as I'm stuck in a dilemma of what to do

Thanks

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

Hello,

The above is a comparison of dried rabbit food provided by Tamsin who is one of the many experts here. I have heard that excel can cause excess cecotropes too although they never did when my boys were on it. I do now use science selective and have never had a single tummy problem. I give one egg cup per bun per day. I know that some people recommend unlimited pellets to young bunnies, but I'm not sure how long unlimited should be fed for.

My rescue rabbit, Gerry produces excess caecotrophs. He does less than he used to. I got him 3 months ago and he was on burgress excel. He is now fed Fibafirst, which has greatly reduced the number of caecotrophs, however not completely stopped it. He is a great hay eater and is healthy in every other way, so I think some rabbits do keep producing them even on the best diet.

In your situation, I'd try gradually changing to Science Selective or Fibafirst. Fibafirst has a higher fibre content so theoretically should be better for digestive issues.

Hi, Ludo does excess ones too if he eats Excel- I found the problem stopped when he went onto SS :wave:

I went for oxbow pellets as
1) they're Timothy hay based and the bunnies like Timothy hay, and alfalfa (other pellets are alfalfa based) is higher calcium content
2) they fit in treat balls well as they're tiny
But they're hard to find

So would also advocate science selective or fiba first

Thanks for the advice, I have been giving them fiba first as a treat just 1 or 2 sticks a night, they really seem to like it, so was wondering if I change them over so they are having fiba first in the evening and pellets in the morning? Or would you just stick to one? Is it best to feed once a day or is morning and evening ok?
Just want to get their diet right so they don't have any problems.

Thanks in advance x

I went for oxbow pellets as
1) they're Timothy hay based and the bunnies like Timothy hay, and alfalfa (other pellets are alfalfa based) is higher calcium content
2) they fit in treat balls well as they're tiny
But they're hard to find

So would also advocate science selective or fiba first

FYI Senior Science Selective is timothy based, not sure on it's suitability for just "adults" though.

Back