• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

need help with type of pellets!

cathy_321_xx

Young Bun
hello I have 2 rabbits, one of them is 1/2 years old and the other just 1 year, I did have them both on selective but it was quite expensive and they went through it so quicky, I have then moved them onto another type called haygates, but all they have done is loose weight, I started them on this food about 3 weeks ago and slowly mixed both of the foods together like your meant to when you change their pellets ( as I've been told) but in the last week and a half they have lost quite a bit of weight even though I have been giving them hay and fresh and the right amount of pellets so I am wanting to change the pellets they are on. can any body recommend good pellets that I could use? x

Last edited:
Where were you buying SS from? I buy two 5kg bags at a time for about £17 and they last me months for 5 rabbits. It's cheaper to buy two 5kg bags than a 10kg bag from petsupermarket.

http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/Products/CA3741/supreme-science-selective-rabbit-adult

If they're still eating and losing weight I would be inclined to take them to the vets for a check up, especially on their teeth. Changing food won't help if it is teeth related.

What is the 'right amount' of pellets that you are feeding? Do you mean what the bag suggests? As this is nearly always way too much food, they only really need an eggcup size per rabbit a day, mine get less than that though.

We all tend to use different pellets, if you don't want a more top-of-the-market type, how about Pets at Home brand. I use these occasionally as I normally feed mine on Rabbit Royale. I am not sure why they should have lost weight though.

Where were you buying SS from? I buy two 5kg bags at a time for about £17 and they last me months for 5 rabbits. It's cheaper to buy two 5kg bags than a 10kg bag from petsupermarket.

http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/Products/CA3741/supreme-science-selective-rabbit-adult

If they're still eating and losing weight I would be inclined to take them to the vets for a check up, especially on their teeth. Changing food won't help if it is teeth related.

What is the 'right amount' of pellets that you are feeding? Do you mean what the bag suggests? As this is nearly always way too much food, they only really need an eggcup size per rabbit a day, mine get less than that though.

I got them from a place called GM growers in Bedfordshire, I know one of my rabbits has a recessive gene to do with his teeth which doesn't show in him but when I give him food, by the morning it is all gone which shows he is eating it because there isn't any food on the floor of his hutch.i usually give them a bit less than what the bag says as I have been told that that is nearly always too much.

We all tend to use different pellets, if you don't want a more top-of-the-market type, how about Pets at Home brand. I use these occasionally as I normally feed mine on Rabbit Royale. I am not sure why they should have lost weight though.

I might try rabbit royale then as the selective is quite expensive but I will get the pets at home brand and try them on that and see if they put on any weight.

Pellets make up such a small part if a rabbits diet that I would not expect them to have a dramatic effect on weight. I would definitely arrange a dental check with your vet to rule out any problems that are stopping them eating enough hay

Back