• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay question

aaammmyyy

Mama Doe
B&B eat meadow hay that a buy in a huge bag that used to be for £5, it was nice and green and would come out the bag easy.
They've put the price up to £5.80 and it feels like its tangled up with really stringy hay thats not as green as the rest of the bag, though the actual hay is still really green

Binky and Bella do really well on this hay - Bella eats loads of it and has really nice big poos and Binkys poos are slightly smaller than Bellas but Binkys smaller anyway

In the morning ill clean their litter trays and move all their old hay to the litter trays and put new in because they dont like green and fresh in their tray, they like it slightly old :lol:
They're still eating it but im wondering if I should change hay or not? To one that doesn't feel as 'tangled' id stick to meadow hay though.
My past two bags have been like this so id like some advice please!

I used to buy bags of hay from the petshop, but now I buy baled hay from the agricultural merchants. You get loads more and I find the quality is better too, if you buy hay meant for horses it should be good stuff :thumb: I pay less than you do for a full bale too. :thumb:

I used to buy bags of hay from the petshop, but now I buy baled hay from the agricultural merchants. You get loads more and I find the quality is better too, if you buy hay meant for horses it should be good stuff :thumb: I pay less than you do for a full bale too. :thumb:
Its a bale in a bag if that makes sense :lol:
A local farmer produces it and then the local shop sells it for him and they get a cut of it each
Im just not finding this bag as good or easy to use, im not sure if its the time of year or something!

Its a bale in a bag if that makes sense :lol:
A local farmer produces it and then the local shop sells it for him and they get a cut of it each
Im just not finding this bag as good or easy to use, im not sure if its the time of year or something!

Oh I see, I suppose if a bale is in a bag and it's wrapped tightly it might be hard to get it out, you might be better just going to the farm and buying it direct unwrapped, it might be easier?

Oh I see, I suppose if a bale is in a bag and it's wrapped tightly it might be hard to get it out, you might be better just going to the farm and buying it direct unwrapped, it might be easier?
Its normally hard to get out but not like it is now - it's tangled up with hay that doesn't look as good quality

I was going to buy direct/unwrapped but im unsure of storing it - I store the bag of hay in my fathers garage and hes already said he wouldn't allow it if it wasnt in a bag because of the "animals it would intice in" :lol: and he gets annoyed with strands of hay :lol:
At the moment I have a pot that stores 4-5 days worth of hay for 2 rabbits and then when that runs out I just refill via the bag, so im unsure of how I can store the lose hay!

Its normally hard to get out but not like it is now - it's tangled up with hay that doesn't look as good quality

I was going to buy direct/unwrapped but im unsure of storing it - I store the bag of hay in my fathers garage and hes already said he wouldn't allow it if it wasnt in a bag because of the "animals it would intice in" :lol: and he gets annoyed with strands of hay :lol:
At the moment I have a pot that stores 4-5 days worth of hay for 2 rabbits and then when that runs out I just refill via the bag, so im unsure of how I can store the lose hay!

I have a small bag for a few days worth of hay too :thumb: you could put the other in an old duvet cover before bringing it home, and store it in that :thumb:

I have a small bag for a few days worth of hay too :thumb: you could put the other in an old duvet cover before bringing it home, and store it in that :thumb:
Brillant idea thanks! :thumb:
I did have an old duvet cover but Bella chewed a giant hole in it :lol:

Ill find a duvet cover and switch their hay, I just hope they like the new hay and it doesn't upset their tums and that no mice want to nest in my duvet and hay :lol: :lol:

you could try some of the unbaled fresh hay I am selling - it probably works out a bit more expensive as it is fluffed up and not tightly wedged in - as its never been baled - but its very very fresh - and it comes with a fabulous FREE BAG!!!! and its for a good cause (my vets bills!)

see my hay thread!

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ed-fresh-hand-collected-hay-for-sale-by-sacks
I was looking at your hay thread the other day, I need to get a local bale first just to see if the bunnies want to switch ( :lol: ) then if you're still selling and they like a change I will deffo!

Back