• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Passing a plug of yellow mucus

Nori and Merri had to be pts at the vet :cry::cry::cry:

Upon examination it was discovered that Merri was not suffering from stasis and there was nothing in his gut, not even poos. So he was x rayed and and it was revealed that he had a massive tumour in his dewlap which out him off eating and he was slowly starving. He was sedated only, because he was so weak from hunger. His major organs were already starting to fail :( Nori was x rayed at the same time and it was revealed that his gut wall was incredibly inflamed, he had molar spurs and there was a cluster of tumours around his stomach. Nori was already suffering from gut troubles and he became very distressed as his stomach was handled. He was grinding his teeth in an alarming way and his breathing was so incredibly laboured and heavy. He loved Merri with all his heart so I made the decision based on the findings to have them pts there and then rather than go through treatments. Perhaps I deserve ciriticism for that but it has not even been a month since Emrys was pts for a tumor which we did battle with treatment. Nori and Merri were less than a month away from turning 10 and 9 years old. They were very old and treatment for tumors is limited and invasive. They died together and are currently lying together at peace, arms holding each other. It is the most beautiful but tragic thing I have ever seen. Two sweet little bunnies holding each other in death as they did in life.
I feel really broken and emotionally worn. I have cried and cried and became a little hysterical when I first saw their bodies, its just so shocking. I thought Merri had stasis and I thought Nori had a mere blockage and only a blockage but it was much much worse than that. I am glad we opted for the x ray because I would have hated my beautiful boys to die a prolonged and painful death but I am shocked, devastated and I miss them so much. I have one elderly bun left, he has outlived them all. I cannot believe I have to bury them tomorrow. But at least they will lie together in each other's arms. I wish I could show you how beautiful they look. Thank you for all the vibes and advice. In this case it was bad bad luck :( :(

I am so very sorry :cry: I think you made the right decision, I would have done the same thing

((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))) xx

Oh, god :cry:

I am so, so sorry :( How awful and unexpected. You couldn't have known they both had tumours - as hard as it is, don't beat yourself up about it.

Hugs xx

Oh no :cry: I really am so very sorry, how awful :cry: I would have done the same thing too. They've had a long and happy life, and haven't suffered at the end. Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

I actually feel so guilty, like i have killed them :( I havenever had to decide that so quick before. I did not even get used to the idea before I had to do it. I mean the vets did not pressure me, both surgeons were so kind and tactful but I felt that putting them both through another night of force feeding/starving and aggressive meds was not right.

I have never had to have two pts together either. It is so strange :cry: But i know you have Jane, I can imagine you understand very well what it is like. I remember when you had to let Stanley and Tess go and I believe you even posted a picture of them in each other's arms afterwards. That is what my boys look like :cry:

I am so very sorry :cry: I think you made the right decision, I would have done the same thing

((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))) xx

I only just found this thread...I'm so very sorry :cry::cry::cry:
You did the right thing and I know it is incredibly hard to see that right now. They are both in Paradise and whole and healthy again. ((((((((Massive hugs))))))))))

Thinking of you and my inbox is always open if you need an ear and a shoulder. xxxxxxxx

I'm so, so sorry :cry:

You done the loving thing for them. They are at peace together now.

Sending hugs for you at such a difficult time.

I'm finding words had to find as it's just so tragic that words don't seem adequate:cry:

I really am so so sorry for your double loss.

I'm so so sorry for your losses :( I do think you did the right thing though, letting them go is one of the hardest decisions and it takes real love and strength to know when to say goodbye xx

Oh gosh that's such a shame :cry: I'm sorry to hear you've had to go through such a hard time. Rest in peace little bunnies xx

So very sorry. I would have made the same decision. I think you did exactly the right thing. The guilt is normal but know you have them the greatest gift if all.

Back