• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay issues!

amymc

New Kit
Not sure if this should go in housing / eating but I'm gunna go for it :L

So I recently changed my rabbits hay (two weeks ago) to meadow hay. They happily ate the meadow hay without problem, and continue to eat their veggies, etc :) however I realised I was replenishing their hay a lot more often than usual and when replacing some hay today I realised that their whole floor was just hay! the straw and shavings were absolutely buried beneath inches of hay!!!! They didn't do this with the other type of hay they had... any ideas? Websites told me that meadow hay was suitable for bunnies to eat and they seem to be eating it up fine but is this the problem? any ideas? Any help appreciated :) x

Mine make a huge mess with their hay it gets everywhere!! I would maybe not bother with the shavings and straw and just use hay and newspaper and change them regularly. Are you buying the large bales of meadow hay from a farm or feed supplies place? If so even if you bin some at 4-5pounds a bale it will still work out cheaper than expensive hay plus straw and shavings.

As a guide my 6 go through a large bale every two weeks

Wow! That's a lot of hay! :p and no I'm not I'm just going for the largest bag of meadow hay I can get from the store (no hating on that please, I'm a student I don't have that much money :L). But I'm glad to hear its normal :) might take your advice just get rid of the straw and stick with hay and shavings - I'd go for newspapers but I read somewhere the ink was bad for them? x

Wow! That's a lot of hay! :p and no I'm not I'm just going for the largest bag of meadow hay I can get from the store (no hating on that please, I'm a student I don't have that much money :L). But I'm glad to hear its normal :) might take your advice just get rid of the straw and stick with hay and shavings - I'd go for newspapers but I read somewhere the ink was bad for them? x

No nothing wrong with the store stuff but cost wise a bale will work out cheaper if you can get one and have somewhere to store it. If you only have 2 buns it should last you about 6 weeks which would be less than a pound a week :) I haven't heard that about newspapers I along with lots od others on here have used them for years with no problems. Shavings can cause problems though, I can't remember the details but I think respiritory issues is one

Oh fantastic, I'm sure that will be a lot cheaper !! :) with their massive new hutch coming (my boyfriend went a bit mental on the dimensions :s) that'll work out great, thanks :) x

Oh fantastic, I'm sure that will be a lot cheaper !! :) with their massive new hutch coming (my boyfriend went a bit mental on the dimensions :s) that'll work out great, thanks :) x

Awww sounds like the bunnies have got your bf well trained :thumb:

Back