• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hocks - what next?

Springfield24

Alpha Buck
Hi I have two house rabbits who spend their time on carpeted floor. Tonight when Lola was lying down I noticed a small pink patch of skin showing near to her heel - is this what sore hocks are? Also I need to know what I can do to help her to recover.

I know nothing about sore hocks so any advice is welcome. Should I book a vet appointment for tomorrow?

Thanks

My indoor bunny mumu developed sore hocks as he lived on carpet. Luckily we caught it early, like you seem to have done, and it healed up fairly quickly after we covered his room in fleece and vet bed :thumb:

I don't mean this to sound rude or anything but are you sure they are sore??

It's normal for rabbits (some more than others depending on breed) to have pink spots on heels, it doesn't always mean they are sore, but certainly get it checked out :thumb:

You don't sound rude at all don't worry! I'd prefer that I got them checked out and it turned out I was being an over worried bunny mummy! I have tried to get a picture but the little monkey won't lie down long enough again. It's only one spot around a 5p piece big near to but not directly on her heel. She's absolutely fine with it hasn't noticed. Both rabbits need their claws cutting anyway and they go to the vets for that too as I'm a wimp about it! I thought it may be sore hocks if her nails are too long.
I'll take them to the vet to get checked out and if nothing else they can have their claws clipped.
I'm also looking into vet bed fleece to line their indoor run as I'm hoping it'll keep them more comfy and be easier to clean for me.
Thanks again

You don't sound rude at all don't worry! I'd prefer that I got them checked out and it turned out I was being an over worried bunny mummy! I have tried to get a picture but the little monkey won't lie down long enough again. It's only one spot around a 5p piece big near to but not directly on her heel. She's absolutely fine with it hasn't noticed. Both rabbits need their claws cutting anyway and they go to the vets for that too as I'm a wimp about it! I thought it may be sore hocks if her nails are too long.
I'll take them to the vet to get checked out and if nothing else they can have their claws clipped.
I'm also looking into vet bed fleece to line their indoor run as I'm hoping it'll keep them more comfy and be easier to clean for me.
Thanks again

Oh good, thanks, it's so easy to sound the wrong way when typing! :wave:

Yes def get it checked, always worth it. Let us know how you get on :wave:

Well we've been to the vets. She knew nothing about sore hocks. .. said it was just a phrase coined by the rabbit community. .. clipped all of their claws but said they weren't bad.
I feel like they were more heavy handed than they should have been but then I do have flighty rabbits. Anyway Lola has longer patches of fur missing from her back paws with light pink flesh showing (flesh looks clean and healthy) vet said it could be just friction has worn off the fur and that if she doesn't hold well it may have been like that for some time without us knowing.

I feel dreadful! ! Seeing as she had no advice other than to monitor it (which I would have anyway) what do I do next? The vet bed for their run should be here tomorrow.

Help please!

Can you post a photo of the hocks ?

Also a photo showing how she places the plantar region of her feet when resting

I'll try tonight but I'm not holding much hope! When she hops they aren't visible it was only when they moved the fur to one side. Where is the plantar region? !

Back