• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

indoor cage

I am sorry that your hutch got destroyed in the storm and I hope you find a solution soon, they are beautiful rabbits. Could you attach one of those metal playpens to the largest of those rabbit cages you can find - if its only a temporary situation or would they not be safe enough from your dog? x

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Unfortunately I'm not able to do much at the moment, all the money I had saved for their new aviary set up has to go on repairs and I'm left with about £50 until at the very least the end of the month, so there's not much I can do. My house is tiny and the only space I have is in my bedroom, which is pretty much my dogs room at night. He has arthritis and neurological problems, which means sometimes his back end doesn't keep up with his front and he'll just flop over regardless of what's underneath him. Although he's brilliant with the rabbits, at night he gets very disorientated which is why he has to stay in with me, and I worry if the structure isn't strong enough (e.g. puppy pannels, c&c cubes, or even a cage on the floor, hence the need for a stand) he'll squish it, the only thing strong enough is a dog crate, (which I can't have as he's terrified of them, as he lived in a tiny one for the first four months of his life) and I certainly can't have the rabbits running free when he's around.

By the time I squeeze in my dogs' massage bed, bowls and hoist I have a ft gap between my wardrobe and desk, I don't want to be cruel of course, but my dog has to come first and with all his health needs if the worst came to the worst, he'd never find a new owner, if I can't do right by my rabbits, I may have to make the awful decision to find them a new loving home, but I just love my girls so much. :(

Could you borrow money from your family or friends? (Not always easy I know).

Could you find someone to foster them for you until you can get their set up sorted?

I hope you find a solution that works for them, you and your dog.

So I've taken my wardrobe door off and changed the way it opens which has made a gap of 5x2.5, which is better and I can put things to jump on in there plus they're small rabbits :thumb:. I've just got to find something to block the area off with, I'm thinking maybe some wood, as it won't offend my dog then, I'm trying to find a cheap option that also doesn't make my room look rubbish :?

Also, what could I put down on the floor to protect my carpet in case they pee or dig it? Preferably cream so it blends with the carpet, I thought about a rug, but they already dig my other one, plus I couldn't find any in such a specific size that don't look :censored: lol.

Oh, and they've started to chew the skirting boards, (by pushing their hay and toy boxes out of the way no less, my skirting must be tasty lol... stupid rabbits :roll:) but has anyone got any ideas on how can I stop them? :evil::evil:

Thanks for the advice guys :thumb:

Oh it does sound like you have been working hard .....lucky buns to have someone who cares so much about them :) Could you use a cheap shower curtain to protect your carpet? I think you will have to block the skirting board off with something. Um, have you got one of those metal sectional playpens to keep them away from the wood?

I would use puppy panels to block off the skirting boards. I put cardboard on the ground (over a waterproof covering) as I find they like to dig/chew it - gives them some entertainment.

The wardrobe door idea is great. Glad you have found a way of making more space for them.

C&c panels can be handy for blocking off skirting boards too. Good luck with getting it all sorted and would love to see pics when it's done :)

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Back