• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mottle is snuffly

tulsi

Wise Old Thumper
He has been checked over for the dreaded 'snuffles' and has clear lungs.

I have brought him and Peaches inside cos he had his tooth spurs done under ga yesterday. Thats when I noticed his sneezes.

He is very happy and lively and is eating plenty of hay. (Am still going to cut down his pellets and greens).

Does RU think that it would be better for him (and therefore Peaches) to live indoors for the winter instead of going back out to his hutch and run?

It depends on various factors eg

1- Does he like being indoors ? Some Rabbits just dont and they much prefer an outdoor life

2- Will he be in a centrally heated room ? Central heating can aggravate any respiratory problems.

Did the Vet take skull radiographs during the Dental ? Snuffles like symptoms can be the result of elongated tooth roots. Given that Mottle is a Dental Rabbit ETR are a real possibility. The only way to diagnose ETR is from skull radiographs.

I agree about getting an X-ray done. My last boy Henry had always had dental problems and he started sneezing. this was as a result of a tooth root abscess the size of a pin head that he never recovered from. Don't want you to panic but better to be safe than sorry :)

Jane;

Will he need a ga to have a skull xray? Would it be ok to leave it for a bit? (given that he has only just had a ga). - How long should I leave it for?

What (if anything) can be done about an elongated tooth root?
I have a feeling that he has got this. Bless him.

He seems fine in and outdoors. They are in my bedroom at the moment which doesnt have heating on although the radiator pipes get warm when the hot water is on (Frosty and Snowflake used to cuddle up to them xxx).

I love them being inside but they do have more space outdoors.

Toffee_kate

Sorry to hear about Henry's tooth root abscess. I am glad of the input and would rather know the worst case scenario.

Will certainly take him back to the vet. Thank you both so much for the replies.

He doesnt look quite 'right' somehow. Oh dear.

I agree with Jane.

My respitory bun lived outdoors even in the harshest of weather and he was actually musch better in the rain/cold, it was the humitidy that made him so poorly so inside was a definate no for him.

I'd definately get an xray though.

Yep. Will get an xray done. Just wonder if he will need a ga and how long I should leave it for if he does.

I am inclined to put them back outside as they have more space. (Much as I love love love having them in here). Glad your respiritory rabbit was better outside. That gives me more confidnence.

Back