• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone suggest a suitable indoor cage for Slipper?

I'm just on the pets at home website now and yes it is a 120 that Badger & Blueberry are in. I thought it was huge and they looked lost in it there's a 140 on the site as well which is claimed to be suitable for 2 buns and so has two of everything with it. But I quite like the idea of using the old viv with some modifications as that's a lot bigger (I'm assuming) than this 140. Slipper just have the 100 then, I feel even worse for her now it is marked as suitable for dwarf rabbits, but a dwarf lol isn't really a dwarf. Must stop forgetting that!!

Don't feel too bad. Unfortunately alot of companies misadvertise products and say they are suitable when they aren't so you weren't to know. A 120 is just short of 4ft x 2ft. Ideally a pair of buns should have a 6ft x 2ft hutch/cage and if you can an attached run. The important thing is that you've aked for help and are trying to fix it.

We have indoor buns and they are in Rose Runs from P@H. They measure just over 4 foot by 4 foot - so 16 square feet in total and are just over 2 feet high (I think - plenty of room to perioscope and leap like loonies). We have also attached puppy runs with mesh on top to increase their areas to around 7 foot by 4 foot. We have put lino down as a base to prevent the floor being damaged. The runs are lidded - but hinged so very easy access to put food and water in - and also have an opening at the front.

And they do all get a good few hours out every day to run mad around our flat. But they all love their homes - and most times take themselves back when they've had enough time out.

These are the runs - I was about to start hoovering in the carpet so the puppy pens had come down and bunnies in 'lock down' :D

The Rose Runs are about £80 I think - the last time I looked.

I think as long as you can prove to your landlord that your buns are not causing any damage then he can't really complain (can he :roll:?)

It was written all over our forms that we had 3 rabbits, we were accepted and they did a check on the house because they hadn't done one in a while and they were checking the one above anyway. The landlord got the letting agency to send a letter stating he was surprised to see the buns, but he would allow us to keep them... We're convinced he must have just not read the forms :roll:

Haha oh dear. When our agent came for a check on the house, the girl stared at Ash with an expression of mixed interest and horror. I hastily told her that our tenancy agreement did explicitly state that we had permission to keep a rabbit. I'm pretty sure that was the first thing she checked when she got back to the office. :lol:

Don't feel too bad. Unfortunately alot of companies misadvertise products and say they are suitable when they aren't so you weren't to know. A 120 is just short of 4ft x 2ft. Ideally a pair of buns should have a 6ft x 2ft hutch/cage and if you can an attached run. The important thing is that you've aked for help and are trying to fix it.

Agreed. Unfortunately, as the majority of the public would think nothing of buying rabbits from a pet shop, they buy whatever the shop sells them as well. Especially if it's an impulse buy (which a lot of them are, going by my experiences of working at PAH). This leads to a kind of acceptance that an unsuitable cage is fine, because they don't know any different. After all, why do these shops sell cages in the first place that aren't suitable?

More info here:
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

Haha oh dear. When our agent came for a check on the house, the girl stared at Ash with an expression of mixed interest and horror. I hastily told her that our tenancy agreement did explicitly state that we had permission to keep a rabbit. I'm pretty sure that was the first thing she checked when she got back to the office. :lol:

Agreed. Unfortunately, as the majority of the public would think nothing of buying rabbits from a pet shop, they buy whatever the shop sells them as well. Especially if it's an impulse buy (which a lot of them are, going by my experiences of working at PAH). This leads to a kind of acceptance that an unsuitable cage is fine, because they don't know any different. After all, why do these shops sell cages in the first place that aren't suitable?

More info here:
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

Oh dear, I dread to think what she'd think of mine with 3 bunnies, 1 lizard and 24 snakes :lol:

Yeah, I agree with that. You trust the pet shop to advise you on what best to get for your pet and it never dawns on you that they're wrong (in my experience anyway) When I think of some of the cages I've had pets in on pet shop advice, I shudder and feel like such a horrible person :(

Thank you, I really appreciate that, I wasn't sure if someone would call the RSPCA on me for abusing/neglecting her due to the cage she lives in :? I've just been in pets at home after work to get more hay for them and had a look round at the hutches and cages they had in stock and they have a double decker cage which Slipper would fill the floor space just sitting in it and they say it's great for 2 small/medium bunnies :shock: I'd never get one Slipper in there never mind two!

They had a tulip cottage, I think it was called, which was a double decker hutch, but the floor space looked pretty big. Thoughts?

Back