• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making a run

Hello, I'm adopting two buns and know exactly what I want for the run, I've looked around and prices are a little high so I'm intending to make it myself but I was wondering what sort of wood people use as I understand it cannot be pressure treated. Thanks in advance

I use pressure treated, but put the mesh on the inside, between them and the wood. It means no chewing and it looks neater too :)

I'd also recommend weld mesh over chicken wire, it's more secure and doesn't bow out of shape.

My father-in-law and I built this last Saturday. It took us half a day to put together, but he did build the frames at his works.

It is 8ft x 6.5ft x 3ft high with 3 removable roof sections. It's boarded down one side of the run and on one of the three roof panel. I'm also waiting for the Runaround System to arrive to connect the hutch to the run.

We used 2" x 2" tanalised wood and 19g galvanised wire mesh stapled on the inside of the run. He got the wood as he's a builder but I bought the mesh from here...it's the same mesh as in the hutch.

http://www.meshdirect.co.uk/Wire-Mesh-13mm-x-25mm-19g.html

Shame you're not local to us, I bought a 30 metre roll as it was cheaper than buying two 10 metre rolls. I've still got well over half of the roll left over.

I also built two platforms and a outdoor shelter with the leftover outdoor hardwood ply. I have since covered these with roofing felt as well.

Hope this helps and good luck with the run.

That is pretty much the style I want, just a different size.

Can I ask how the run is connected to your hutch currently?

That's thoughtful of you, I have seen the mesh at toolstation and it doesn't appear to be too expensive.

My father-in-law and I built this last Saturday. It took us half a day to put together, but he did build the frames at his works.

It is 8ft x 6.5ft x 3ft high with 3 removable roof sections. It's boarded down one side of the run and on one of the three roof panel. I'm also waiting for the Runaround System to arrive to connect the hutch to the run.

We used 2" x 2" tanalised wood and 19g galvanised wire mesh stapled on the inside of the run. He got the wood as he's a builder but I bought the mesh from here...it's the same mesh as in the hutch.

http://www.meshdirect.co.uk/Wire-Mesh-13mm-x-25mm-19g.html

Shame you're not local to us, I bought a 30 metre roll as it was cheaper than buying two 10 metre rolls. I've still got well over half of the roll left over.

I also built two platforms and a outdoor shelter with the leftover outdoor hardwood ply. I have since covered these with roofing felt as well.

Hope this helps and good luck with the run.

I want your set up lol! :thumb:

Thanks guys, glad you like the run. We've only had our mini lops for 4 weeks and they've literally taken over our lives. The children really adore them.

We're really pleased with the run and the buns love being in it. At least we've reclaimed our patio area...for now.

It's not connected to the hutch at the moment, we're waiting for the Runaround to be delivered, which will connect the hutch to the run, then they can come and go as they want then. Should be here in the next few days. Will let you know if it's any good.

Currently, the children gets them out of the hutch in the morning and puts them in them run where they stay for most of the day. The run is secured to the decking using L brackets, but to be fair, it's so heavy, I can barely shift it on my own prior to screwing it down.

My wife bought a big cement mixing tray which she is going to grow grass in it for the rabbits to put in the run. That should be interesting.

I'm thinking of putting some sort of rubber matting over the decking which the run sits on. Any opinion on this anyone?

Silly me, should read properly!

Sorry - another question - how do your top panels sit, do you have a ledge inside?

I would have thought the decking would help with keeping the buns nails short but I'm sure someone else will be able to help

We used 8 gate hooks (B&Q) evenly spaced around the roof panels to secure them down and to stop our children moving and lifting the panels off as they're quite heavy.

The panels simply sit on top of the run and not on ledge inside. The wood is thick and heavy so sits perfectly on top without the need on a ledge inside.

Not sure if you can see on the photo, we also put a door on the side so the children can get in and out easier.

Thank you :)

We have started work today on the run, using 1 x 1.5 wood though.

We're also putting a door alike to yours - i'm only short and with the run being 3ft I need some help to be able to get in!

Going to have another look for some mesh now as the stuff i'd found has no weight and i'd rather be safe than sorry.

I used 19g, seems perfectly adequate. Like I said, shame you're not local to us, we have well over half a roll of 30m left from building ours.

Good luck with the build. You must post some pictures on here.

The runaround system has arrived and I fitted it this morning...

20130823_110632_zps4da657a0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20130823_105940_zps2712c397.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Pip and Daisy have been in and out of it all day. Two very happy bunnies, now they can come and go as they please.

So far, I can highly recommend the Runaround system.

The runaround system has arrived and I fitted it this morning...

20130823_110632_zps4da657a0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20130823_105940_zps2712c397.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Pip and Daisy have been in and out of it all day. Two very happy bunnies, now they can come and go as they please.

So far, I can highly recommend the Runaround system.

wow! :wave: :thumb: that's great x
lucky buns x
I like the grass in the middle :)

(haha bunny climbing out the tunnel! ) :love:

I want to model my run around this one, I like the grass in the middle, is it covered at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yes it's partly covered. It's covered all down one side of the run with all weather hardwood ply and also one of the 3 removable roof panels is cover with the same material. We've built it so that the covered panel can be moved to any of the 3 positions.

Currently, we are covering it overnight and when it rains with just a tarpaulin. I'm in the process of designing a cover using maybe 3mm clear pvc sheets which I'm hoping to attach to the pergola somehow, that I can pull out and over the run. Maybe something retractable.

We are also having a custom made hutch cover from the "ebay" man. A bit expensive at £115 but looking at some of the thread on here, it's worth every penny. Let's hope so as it's a lot of money.

Back