• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Straw as bedding

Rach210

Alpha Buck
Is it ok to keep my bunnies on straw? It's cheapish, insulating and they seem perfectly happy. The straw from P@H seems nice and soft too.

My mum was saying today that she was warned that rabbits could end up getting poked in the eye by a piece of straw so it was a bad idea to keep them on that. Although to be totally honest her rabbit care is not exactly ideal so I rarely take her animal care advice.

To be honest, it isn't ideal and has no real benefit for them.

During the colder months I use more hay, which they also nibble on and there is no threat of it poking them in the eye. Straw has no nutritional value, so with that and the risk of it poking them in the eye, I have never bothered with it x

I thought being poked in the eye was why guinea pigs couldn't have straw?

I used to use it to help insulate but none of mine were bothered and would just dig it all over the place :roll::lol:

You could always have straw and hay on top if you were ever worried about them eating more straw than hay.

Surely the same risks would be there whether it was for insulation or covering the whole hutch?

It's only until I get some lino to cover the hutch floor anyway. They don't try and eat it, they stick to eating their hay.

I put in a layer of straw with a layer of cheap hay on top as bedding, with their yummy meadow hay in their rack, on really cold days I put wood shavings under the straw and hay, and as they're not big chewers (just rippers :roll:) I also stock it out with shredded paper (on top of the straw and under the hay) in snowy weather... :D

Back