• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to extend my hutch?

Fluffs

Alpha Buck
:wave:
A while ago we bought this outdoor hutch for Fluffy as her 4ft double tier hutch was seeming a bit small.

This is her old hutch, although looking a lot older now! :lol:
images

New hutch:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RABBIT-GU...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item3f1d3f10f6

$(KGrHqV,!osFCr6G6pbDBQrMSUP+jw~~60_12.JPG

In the excitement of getting a new posh hutch for her, I failed to exactly measure how big this would be. We did look at the measurements, but I guess that when you measure it on the floor it seems a lot bigger :oops: . Also, the length was a bit longer than our original hutch, so everything seemed fine. Also at this point, I was not aware of all the RWAF reccomendations, which would have made me realize that this would have been too small.

So, when it arrived we all joined together and constructed this. It's actually a really nice design and looks nice to humans, which is why it was too small for rabbits. When we put Fluffy in I noticed straight away that she had room to hop, stretch in some parts, but nothing else. it is much too small. I was really disappointed that we'd spent a lot of money on something that was really smaller than what we had already and just didn't work out, but didn't say anything. <sigh> :( :( :( :( :( :cry:

Fluffy, (a small-medium sized rabbit) has been in this hutch for a few months now but as people righty say, there is something about rabbits that make you want to make their life better and better. :D Still constructing my new 8 x 4 run, (although only have to staple a bit of wire on), I have decided to try and extend this hutch so it's big enough for her, and then meets the recommendations, and hopefully is big enough to fit a future friend in as well. I'm also thinking of lifting it off the ground using bricks and putting lino or wood as the floor.

So, does anyone have any ideas about how to extend this hutch? Iv'e thought about putting something underneath it, but decided that that wouldn't work out, I've thought about getting another old hutch and attaching them but no ebayer sells near me. I've also thought about attaching it back to the old hutch with a runaround pipe but have a few questions about that...:
Would that be a good idea?
has anyone else done this?
would the RSPCA or rescue center count this hutch combo as big enough?

also, maybe there could be a way that I could make a small run , attach it to the back of the hutch, and cut the back hutch wire off. I would have to add a roof to the extension but it wouldn't be 6ft long. if you get what I mean about that extension....

What really counts as a hutch???

sorry for waffling on, if you skipped it I don't blame you and the question is just the title.
please could I also see pictures of how other people have extended their shop hutches for reassurance and ideas, even if it's completely different.
any tips and help appreciated x in a rush so sorry if I missed something out x
thanks xx

can I just say to any new people seeing this that I do not recommend this hutch at all

Last edited:
Have you thought about getting a shed or playhouse instead? Have you got room for something like that? :wave: I don't know whether modifying the existing hutch would be a good idea, it might make it weaker? Playhouses tend to be good value but still offer plenty of space :thumb:

I would board up the sides and back of the existing run area to make a larger sheltered area and add a large run onto it.

I would board up the sides and back of the existing run area to make a larger sheltered area and add a large run onto it.

:thumb:

I think it was aliduncan1 who attached 2 of these together with a run or shed or something!

What Amy104 said, however I'd be concerned about how to clean the current underun bit if you boxed it in. Unless you can add a single storey hutch (or another double!) to the underun on the right of the picture, possibly using a runaround connector or something similar, then add another run to the front. Then the hutch areas would still be cleanable.

If you attached another double hutch on the right you would ideally flatten the old run roof and somehow connect it across the top... Maybe with a little step in the existing hutch space with a cut into the old hutch roof, then box around the whole thing.

In my head I know what I mean! Mega quick illustration below.

5183faa02b4432e2f2d5285a1b4c1c5e.jpg

Last edited:
I would board over the run bit where the ramp is and put a shelf/platform in with a hole so the ramp is on the opposite side to where it is now so the upstairs floor is expanded.

and /or buy a cheap 3ft 2 tier hutch and attach it to the left side of the hutch a run around would be "Ok" but personally l would cut holes in the sides and screw them together to give a larger sleeping area. :)

EDIT:

just looked a bit closer at the construction, could you remove the run bit, which the ramp leads in to as there looks to be a "seam" there, and then cut a hole in the side of a 3ft with underrun, put that where the run used to be, cut out the mesh on the sides of the underrun and reattach the old run bit... I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
I would board over the run bit where the ramp is and put a shelf/platform in with a hole so the ramp is on the opposite side to where it is now so the upstairs floor is expanded.

and /or buy a cheap 3ft 2 tier hutch and attach it to the left side of the hutch a run around would be "Ok" but personally l would cut holes in the sides and screw them together to give a larger sleeping area. :)

yeah.... thoughtful face
although instead of buying one I would probably use my old hutch...
thanks x

What Amy104 said, however I'd be concerned about how to clean the current underun bit if you boxed it in. Unless you can add a single storey hutch (or another double!) to the underun on the right of the picture, possibly using a runaround connector or something similar, then add another run to the front. Then the hutch areas would still be cleanable.

If you attached another double hutch on the right you would ideally flatten the old run roof and somehow connect it across the top... Maybe with a little step in the existing hutch space with a cut into the old hutch roof, then box around the whole thing.

In my head I know what I mean! Mega quick illustration below.

5183faa02b4432e2f2d5285a1b4c1c5e.jpg

That's a really good idea....
I don't know how I would do it though!
xxx

EDIT:

just looked a bit closer at the construction, could you remove the run bit, which the ramp leads in to as there looks to be a "seam" there, and then cut a hole in the side of a 3ft with underrun, put that where the run used to be, cut out the mesh on the sides of the underrun and reattach the old run bit... I hope that makes sense.

it does make sense! thanks there's some really good ideas there. :D
I don't really want to have to cut/dismantle everything though.

Have you thought about getting a shed or playhouse instead? Have you got room for something like that? :wave: I don't know whether modifying the existing hutch would be a good idea, it might make it weaker? Playhouses tend to be good value but still offer plenty of space :thumb:

I really want to but my parents aren't so keen on spending a lot of money seeing as they just bought that hutch... and my parents aren't as bunny mad as I am :lol:

I think the cheapest and maybe easiest option would be to connect your new hutch to the upstairs of your old hutch using a runaround den pipe. depending on space you could put your old hutch on the left hand side of your new one and run the den pipe between the two. they come in 2 or 3 foot lengths. I've used a den pipe to connect my hutch to the run and its great, easy to fit too.
I can't see the RSPCA objecting to that set up, it would be very spacious, even for 2 buns.
P.S. I nearly fell into that trap when I saw a gorgeous looking hutch but after reading customer reviews I had a lucky escape.
You'll be able to resolve it though I'm sure.
Send pics when u do.

I think the cheapest and maybe easiest option would be to connect your new hutch to the upstairs of your old hutch using a runaround den pipe. depending on space you could put your old hutch on the left hand side of your new one and run the den pipe between the two. they come in 2 or 3 foot lengths. I've used a den pipe to connect my hutch to the run and its great, easy to fit too.
I can't see the RSPCA objecting to that set up, it would be very spacious, even for 2 buns.
P.S. I nearly fell into that trap when I saw a gorgeous looking hutch but after reading customer reviews I had a lucky escape.
You'll be able to resolve it though I'm sure.
Send pics when u do.

thanks xxx
well i'm glad someone escaped! :lol:
one question: are the pipes big enough for rabbits to fit through?
i'm really nervous of using them incase fluffy doesn't like it or gets stuck.
xx

it does make sense! thanks there's some really good ideas there. :D
I don't really want to have to cut/dismantle everything though.

I thought that but I had something similar and I took the extension off and put in a couple of extra pannels to take the run from 4ft to 6ft it wasn't difficult at all. I'm going to get a custom 7ft hutch soon though :)

You could do something like this *only need to cut on yellow lines* and possibly add a run to the front at a later date?

You won't need the original ramp *I just forgot to remove it from the pic* as the 3footer will have one :) so it's less cutting

*the orange bit is a pannel which I myself would put on, but you don't need to, and if your 3ft hutch had the closed bit on the otherside then it would probably be fine, I'd probably also put a pannel on the other mesh door of the upstairs on the original hutch, just to make it cosy*

Last edited:
I was worried too. But The den pipe has a huge diameter, about 7 or 9 inches, it's well big enough for most buns I would say, mine sleep in theirs. And they are only about £30 ish too. And very sturdy as they are meant to be off the ground. The runaround pipes are smaller diameter, about 5 inches I think, but my medium size buns fit through that fine too.

I thought that but I had something similar and I took the extension off and put in a couple of extra pannels to take the run from 4ft to 6ft it wasn't difficult at all. I'm going to get a custom 7ft hutch soon though :)

You could do something like this *only need to cut on yellow lines* and possibly add a run to the front at a later date?

You won't need the original ramp *I just forgot to remove it from the pic* as the 3footer will have one :) so it's less cutting

*the orange bit is a pannel which I myself would put on, but you don't need to, and if your 3ft hutch had the closed bit on the otherside then it would probably be fine, I'd probably also put a pannel on the other mesh door of the upstairs on the original hutch, just to make it cosy*

Ah yes that's an easier way of doing the way I was thinking :thumb: it's probably for the best that mine are indoors there would be frankenhutches everywhere!

Back