• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Treats to keep cool rabbits?

Hodgepodge

New Kit
Was wondering if there were anything people make for their rabbits to eat or drink to keep them nice and cool in this hot weather?

Laced water to help keep them hydrated
Tiles to lay out (not a treat, I know)
LOTS of shade (not a treat, I know)

Food doesn't play much of a part in keeping them cool :)

An ice block with a bit of apple and strawberry in, they very rarely get fruit but they were the only things to hand at the time. Although it melted in about 3 minutes!

I give them ice cubes too, they tend to lie on them.

Yesterday Harribunny appeared from nowhere and snaffled the last bit of my ice lolly right off the stick! Not recommended though :lol:

I put grass in the freezer for 30 minutes and my lot love it, whether or not it actually goes any way to cooling them down i dont really know.

Mine like slices of cucumber which help keep them hydrated, and as a special treat they get a small piece of melon.

Pippin was trying to drink my Pimms earlier....

I sometimes put blackberry leaves in the freezer for a couple of minutes (it really doesnt take long). Another thing I do sometimes is rinse leaves under water and give them to them. I tend to include watery vegetables with their feed (e.g. celery, chicory leaves or cucumber), and spread this throughout the day.

Not really treats but I put wet towels over the top of the run today in rotation (got all my towels washed, yey), and put an empty lemonade bottle full of frozen water in their run. Not sure it made much impact, but with ice cubes in their water bowls and some cucumber, may have helped a little.

I feed wet veg/fruit, I put it on a tray with a jug full of water poured over it and try to make cabbage etc be the right way up to hold some of the water

We did the mashed banana thing for ourselves the other day, where you freeze chunks of banana then whizz in a blender til it's like ice cream, and the buns got a little of that each. They definitely approved.

Yesterday Harribunny appeared from nowhere and snaffled the last bit of my ice lolly right off the stick! Not recommended though :lol:

Iv made ice pops for my jed using a juice extractor just put carrots n apples in it and froze it down he loves them. I also give him britta water from the fridge. I put banana in the fridge for him although he could do with a bib when he has that. It gets everywhere lol

Back