• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boarding costs

I got quoted £220 for two weeks boarding, granted the buns would be in 7ft hutches, but I have to provide food, litter and hay. And if I want them to have any toys, when they get their allotted time in the run (other than a hide), then I have to bring them in a box myself.

I shopped around and found someone for £80 but I got some bad reviews, luckily I have a neighbour who has had buns before, and is gunna look after them :D

Are there any local pet sitters you could use? We use a service here and they come to the house for us twice a day to feed, water, clean, fuss, etc. It is cheaper than boarding and less stressful for our bunnies, as they get to stay home. It also means our house is looked for while we're away too! We had a great experience with them and will be doing it again at the end of the month when we go away to a wedding.

I recommend this too, I don't think I've ever seen a Crimewatch where the pet sitter did it :lol::lol:
In fact, I think you're statistically most likely to be bashed over the head by somone you know already :lol::lol:

I recommend this too, I don't think I've ever seen a Crimewatch where the pet sitter did it :lol::lol:
In fact, I think you're statistically most likely to be bashed over the head by somone you know already :lol::lol:

This.:lol:
Also, if the pet sitters are part of an organisation I'm sure they have to have CRB checks.

I got quoted £220 for two weeks boarding, granted the buns would be in 7ft hutches, but I have to provide food, litter and hay. And if I want them to have any toys, when they get their allotted time in the run (other than a hide), then I have to bring them in a box myself.

I shopped around and found someone for £80 but I got some bad reviews, luckily I have a neighbour who has had buns before, and is gunna look after them :D

see i couldnt do that as they cant keep an eye on them regularly they will probably pop in a few times a day and if the bun gets sick they go down hill fast and it will be too late by the time they check... After loosing jake I wont risk it

My vet charge something like £7.40 per night for a single bunny. The price includes pellets (you specify which ones your rabbit eats), hay and greens. They also got the vet to check her over. It was about £110 for 15 nights. She was really well looked after and I felt like it was good value for my peace of mind. Although I appreciate not everyone can afford it, it's just one of those things about having pets. They're expensive.

My vet charge something like £7.40 per night for a single bunny. The price includes pellets (you specify which ones your rabbit eats), hay and greens. They also got the vet to check her over. It was about £110 for 15 nights. She was really well looked after and I felt like it was good value for my peace of mind. Although I appreciate not everyone can afford it, it's just one of those things about having pets. They're expensive.

I agree with you really. When you take into account how much time a bunny takes each day, even with very basic care and then the time taken to clean out well at the end of each boarder, plus the cost of insurance, hay, pellets, greens etc I think a lot of people here are charging too little. Especially when you take into account the peace of mind having a competent boarder leaves the owner with.

I wouldn't go on holiday and leave a neighbour/friend in charge because most don't have a clue about bunnies and most think it's 'just' a rabbit. Plus, people make mistakes and may forget to close the accommodation properly (seriously, I even have to check if my husband has done it) or something.

If I were to board my bunnies, I would expect to pay about the same as I pay to board my dogs in kennels as I feel they take up the same time and attention and the same sort of space really. I would only use our local rescue, who also do boarding, too, as I know absolutely I could trust them with the buns and I know their vet is excellent should the buns need it.

I do appreciate not everyone can afford it, but to me, paying for decent boarding for my pets is just part of the cost of a holiday to me. I wouldn't enjoy myself if I was worrying about them. We paid £350 for our dogs to be in kennels for 16 nights when we went away at Christmas, but our preferred option would have been for the dogs to go back to the oldest ones breeder for that time and she usually charges about £800 for the 2 weeks for three dogs. To me, it means we can have a stress free time away and not have to worry about the dogs, although we would use the kennels again, they were excellent.

If you're in Coventry area, have you asked Tracy at RNGP Welfare in Rugby - ours go there and love it. I think it's £5 a night for a pair at the moment. :thumb:

I agree that £14 seems a lot.

I am paying £7 a night for 16 nights this year. We always make sure that bunny boarding costs form part of the holiday budget when we are initally deciding how much we can afford to spend on going away.

I am having the same problem. I go away for 16 nights in September and need to find somewhere for my bunnies around Newcastle under Lyme/Stoke!

I shall be paying £15 per night total for 7 buns which includes their hay and veggies etc. I take their food though as it is different to the one that the Boarder uses. I don't mind that though as I would be feeding them anyway.

Their welfare is very important to me so I wouldn't be happy with just leaving them with friend for example all the people I know are not rabbit savvy.

I found it difficult choosing a boarder but when I came across the one I use I just knew it was right - it is Happy Hoppers in Redditch.

Before this I did go to see a boarding facility near me which focuses more on other animals but does take rabbits and was horrified at the hutches that they had! If they are going to take in rabbits you would expect some decent level of facilities. It made me realise that those who board rabbits only are the best way to go!

I hope you find something suitable :wave:

Last edited:
£1.80 a night for lola, thats meant to be with food and hay but i supply her own as i dont want an upset tummy! Not sure if i am going to use her again. Her accomidation was ok. I am going to contact another one in the area to see what accomidation they have.

Back