• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this big enough?

midori1999

Alpha Buck
I'm a bit worried now as Dash, the new girly bunny is turning out to be very active, although as she's been shut in a tiny pen in the PAH rescue centre for 10 months, perhaps she'll settle down when she gets used to more space?

I have bought her a 5ft x4ft wendy house and a 5ft x4ft run which she will have permanent access to via a catflap. That will be connected to am 8ft x4ft run that is on the grass with an 8ft runaround pipe, but she (and hopefully her future husband) will only have access to that when I am home, although that is all day at least half the week and will be at least a few hours on the other days. I may be able to extend the run on the grass at some point in the future, so it is larger but I can't make the run attached to the wendy house any bigger due to patio space sadly.

Does this sound enough? Is there anything else I could do to give them more room 24/7 without having to put more hardstanding down?

The permanent area is 40 sq ft which is only 4 shy of the 44 the RWAf recommend so I should think that would be ok. If you're planning on getting her a husbunny from a rescue you might want to see what size they require. Could the larger run be made fox proof and them have access all the time?

Thanks. I'm just waiting to hear back from the rescue at the moment.

There is going to be a little hut thing they can get on the roof of in the wendy house and a table they can also get on, does that count in the overall area? I'm reluctant to put any other actual levels in for now as I am pregnant so can't squeeze places very easily and want to be able to sit in the house with them, not least as Dash needs more handling.

It might be possible to make the run on the grass escape/fox proof in the future, but not right away due to funds (I have also just bought a 10ft x 5ft kennel and run for my existing pair of buns) and the run they will be in on the grass is made from puppy panels. It does have a lid, but I didn't think it would be foxproof? What would making a run on grass foxproof involve? Putting wire on the floor and then turfing over it? Do the fox/no dig skirts work well? I know chicken keepers trust them, but I'm not sure I'd trust them at night. :?

It sounds fine to me :) Fox proofing the grass run would be a good option in future too. If it stays in one place, meshing the underneath works best as bunnies are so goo at digging!

Thanks for replying.

I have heard back from one of the rescues and they have accepted us knowing the accommodation size, so I guess that's my answer. :) Obviously we'll try and add to/improve it as and when we can anyway.

Back