• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

8.5.13 Another vet visit

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
When I went to give Furby his breakfast he was huddled in one of his litter trays soaking wet looking very sad. He has obviously spent some of the night outside in his run in the rain - Faye was lovely and dry.

I towel dried him and noticed he has a clear discharge from his nose. Checked his front teeth which seem OK but it is his back ones that give him the trouble. Popped him back in his tray and he did eat some pellets but still looks miserable.

He is off to the vet later. They were full-up but have fitted me in as I didn't want to leave him poorly overnight. Think he has a chill or maybe is brewing a dental. Gave him some Baytril to keep him going until he gets to the vet which they were fine with.

Any spare vibes for my gorgeous bunster would be appreciated. Will add a photo to help the vibes along.

th_Fayemakeaalovelypillow.jpg

Furby with his beloved wife, Faye.

Last edited:
My vet is on holiday so Furby saw a locum who is allergic to bunnies. She did his neuter and a dental though so she has seen him before. His nose was much more snuffly by the time we got there and she thinks he has pasteurella. I think he may have had this before. Sounds dreadful but I get muddled as to which bun has what (the menopause has a lot to answer for). Furby is having an epic moult at the moment and he always seems to get run down then.

He has Baytril - I asked for the injections as he really struggled last time I had to syringe it as he knew what was coming after day two. The vet has given me some oral Baytril too in case Faye becomes poorly.

Furby was incredibly good. The vet put her finger in his mouth to check if he had any spurs right at the back of his mouth and he just sat there. He has had some nommy broccoli this evening as a treat. His teeth are OK at the moment which is good as I wouldn't want hiim to have a GA while he is under the weather.

He still looks sad, but is quite lively and seems happy enough snuggling with Faye.

Thank you all for the vibes. Furby is one of the Lymington buns and has had a fair few problems. He is deaf and had a stage of getting abscesses under his jaw. He is also a dental bun. He is incredibly good natured and I love him to bits:love:

Have just read the sticky on pastuerella. Didnt realise it was so serious. The vet didn't seem that concerned and said that most buns have it but it lies dormant until they become run down. She said once it clears up Furby may well get it again in the future.

I will have to get some gloves to wear for when I am giving him his injection and be very careful I don't pass it on to my other buns, especially the outdoor ones.

Only just seen this - sorry to hear that Furby isn't well :(

I hope he improves soon Karen and you know where I am if you ever need any help :)

He is snuggled up in one of his litter trays with Faye. He looks OK - his nose seems less congested than yesterday. Have some spring greens to give him after his injection later. He is still not 'right' but hopefully the antibiotics will sort him out.

He and Faye have an incredibly strong bond - they totally adore each other and I am sure that having Faye around helps Furby, especially as he is deaf.

Only just seen this - sending Furby vibes

One of my buns suffers from a snuffly nose and we control it by putting red raspberry leaf on her food and echincea drops and rabbit vitamin drops in her water. With her it wasn't full blown pasturella and, although she was given anti-biotics they disagreed with her tummy so the vet was happy for us to administer herbal remedies xx

Furby seems to be getting worst:(

Went out early this morning to feed the bunsters and Furby was in one of their litter trays looking very sad. I picked him up to check him and he is very snuffly and I can hear him breathing.

I am now at work - working from 0745-1815 today and there is only me here to see clients and answer the 'phone (am a Crisis worker) so I am going to find it difficult to get away. Will have a word with my Manager at 9.00 am and see if I can take an hour off as I am really worried about Furby. The stupid bunny had gone down his ramp and was sitting in his run in the rain when I left for work. He is eating - but only 'nice' things I am tempting him with.

Had to ask the vet to fit me in yesterday with Apple as I noticed her teeth needed doing and didn't want to leave it until Monday. They are very good though and hopefully can squeeze me in if I can get a break at work. Just hope we don't have a busy day as I won't be able to leave then.

I am hardly working at all since I took redundancy - it's typical that today is the only day this week I have a long shift. Any other day I could have gone to the vet without a problem.

Not sure what else the vet can do as Furby is having baytril injections once a day already.

Please can Furby have some vibes. I don't know what Faye and I would do if we lost him. He is only young too and such a gentle, gorgeous furball.

He probably needs a more heavy duty abx if his lungs are effected :cry: He may need additional medication too

Could you ask the Vet to admit him as if he now has a lower RTI he will need intensive care throughout the day.

Sending vibes for him xx

Just read this and wanted to add my vibes for wee Furby. (((((((((((((((((((Healing vibes)))))))))))))))))) Totally agree with Jane on something stronger than Baytril and that getting him admitted would be a good thing. I hope your vet can help him, poor bub. :(
Why on earth do they do stuff like this? They are already ill and they sit out in inclement weather and make it worse? :shock: I had a dog do that to me once, sat out in the snow when he already had a serious condition and we had to rush him to the vet. It was a scary time.
(((((Big hugs))))) for you too. You must be very worried. xx

I've managed to get the vet to see me at 11.30 am and have been given permission to pop out for an hour but the vet says there is nothing more she can do!!!!!

Can anyone give me the name of some other antibiotics I can suggest to her please? She is a locum - my vet is on holiday - and I don't know how much she knows about bunnies.

At the moment all I am giving Furby is an injection of Baytril once a day. The vet drew up the medication so I am not even sure how much he is having but we did weigh him first and she looked up the dosage so I am assuming it is correct.

I do worry about him being admitted as he gets incredibly stressed when he is there for his dentals and he stops eating for a few days afterwards too. I think with him being deaf he really values familiarity. My vet would let Faye stay with him though - so I hope the locum understands about bonded pairs. I wouldn't leave Furby without Faye as they have never been apart and he totally relies on her to be his ears.

I am not working at all over the weekend or Monday so will be able to nurse him once I fiinish work today.

It is so difficult to know what to do for the best. I am so worried it is very difficult to concentrate at work:cry:

Back