• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies stopped eating veg

Jonny

Warren Scout
Hello all

Not sure why - but both my bunnies seem to have taken a decision to stop eating veg. They are still eating pellets and hay and seem happy enough otherwise, but they always enjoyed collard greens and cauliflower but these last few weeks they seem to have gone off them.

Any ideas? Will they be ok without veg?

Have the vegetables changed? I've known rabbits turn their noses up at some vegetables when it comes from a different batch/season/supplier.
Or have they been eating more hay than usual? Sometimes they could love the hay so much they just can't be bothered with anything else.

Are their poos large and golden?

Jonny, so long as your bunnies have constant access to good hay and have a recommended daily amount of pellets, then they can survive quite happily without veggies. Having said that, my two bunnies don't have veggies anymore as it seems to make them rather gassy. They do love their herbs though. Dill, coriander, mint, basil, rosemary and parsley are their favourites. Perhaps slowly introduce some herbs into your bunnies' diets. They may be expensive to buy, but come the summer you could grow some in pots or in the garden. This makes it much cheaper.

Best of luck.

As others say, as long as buns are having lots of hay and are eating pellets, they may be being picky. How many pellets are they having? Do their poos look normal.

Sometimes mine will leave their savoy cabbage, usually at the same time of year. They also won't eat it if it's from Tescos!

Have the vegetables changed? I've known rabbits turn their noses up at some vegetables when it comes from a different batch/season/supplier.
Or have they been eating more hay than usual? Sometimes they could love the hay so much they just can't be bothered with anything else.

Are their poos large and golden?

^^^ I agree with this.... mine arn't that keen on the greens at the moment either. But as others have said, as long as they're eating plenty of hay then I wouldn't worry too much.

Thanks to everyone for getting in touch. Maybe it is just the time of year / cold weather but they definitely aren't attacking the greens they way these used to! But eating pellets and hay and pooping normally, so I guess I'll just let them be. Might toss in a few herbs, they adore coriander!

I just went out to the hut and gave the buns a couple of bits of brocolli.. Frankie walked away.....What?.. I thought all buns loved brocolli....

Fee xxx

Back