• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

gone off pellets??

Peterbunny

Mama Doe
Hi!

Peter has all of a sudden gone off his pellets?
He used to literally mug me for them yet the
last 2 days has really taken his time to eat them?

Other wise, he is eating hay/ occasional treat fine, herbs/ spring green
Fine, drinking etc. Weeing pooing fine, bouncing around fine
He looks normal?!

Could he just have gone off his pellets?

It that was mine I would be thinking the start of dental issues or possibly snuffles but I think you'd notice other symptoms with that.

It that was mine I would be thinking the start of dental issues or possibly snuffles but I think you'd notice other symptoms with that.

Hmm ok :( ill see how he takes his pellets in the morning. Once he Starts
Eating them he seems fine, its like he's not ready for them when I put
Them in?

If he is taking his time to eat them then it does sound like dental problems could be the cause. Is he not eating any pellets at all now?

I don't weigh anymore but used to and it was about 20g a day. I now guess but I think it shouldn't
Be far of 20g

Oh right, was just thinking you might be feeding a lot and buns requirements may have lessened for example by wasting lots more hay.

If you are noticing a change it may be worth a vet check to avoid a bigger issue forming.

How are his poops lookin? As big, and golden as usual?

Oh right, was just thinking you might be feeding a lot and buns requirements may have lessened for example by wasting lots more hay.

If you are noticing a change it may be worth a vet check to avoid a bigger issue forming.

How are his poops lookin? As big, and golden as usual?

Yeah they look fine, I'm completely puzzled as otherwise he is normal
Peter!

I agree it could be onset of dental issues. I'd keep an eye on his weight, and also look out for dribbling and/or wet patch under his jaw. Often difficult to see, so I have to lift Pebbles above my head for me to look properly (which he doesn't mind). Also wetness around the eyes and nose is a sign too. Some vets will just have a quick look at the front teeth, but worth asking them to have a look at the molars as they can be mis-aligned, grow unevenly or produce spurs which can irritate buns cheeks and tongue, making it uncomfortable, if not painful to eat. Usually a full inspection of molars cannot be done without sedation/GA.

My rabbit, Milly suddenly stopped eating pellets and we took her to the vet and she had spurs on her molars. The only symptom was not eating her pellets. Dental spurs would be my first thought when a rabbit has disinterest in pellets.

update

Hi,

I've checked peters chin and eyes and can't see any
Wetness.

I've given him his pellets and he went straight to them to
Eat, hasn't eaten them as quickly as usual but better than
Last 2 days.

I tried him on a small piece of dried banana ( which he loves when
He gets given some) and he snatched it as usual and ate

I'd keep an eye on him . If you give him the same amount each meal time, time how long he takes to eat the pellets and record the time he takes. I guess if he is eating hay as well, he may take longer to eat his pellets if he has just filed up on hay. But monitoring over several days will give you an average to go by. Also monitor his weight ...as weight loss is usually a sign that a bun isn't eating as much as usual.

Back