• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hayforpets recommendations please?

katie88

Mama Doe
Cut a long story short, I'd like to try some hayforpets hay and would like recommedations on which of their hays is best??

I'm looking for the least dusty hay possible as Misfit has snuffles but she's also a very fussy hay eater so need something super tasty too :roll:

I'm currently using a bale from a farmer but I've noticed with any hay I give them, they love it to begin with then they go off it. Then if I stop and reintroduce it at a later date they like it again, so I think they must get bored eating the same stuff. I've heard lots of good things about hayforpets so might try them for a while then go back to the bale!

They do a trial pack so you can sample 3 of their hays. We did that and then just bought the one they liked best (Ings). You're right though - they do like a change every now and then!

ive never got from them but a few members on here do, hopefully they will spot this and let you know what there buns seems to like most :wave:

I use the Tim & Rye hay. I got the sample pack and they decided that was their fave. In fact I've filled up the hay box about 5 times today already. I didn't find it dusty and I'm allergic to many of the hays on sale (total nightmare).

Mine like the meadow...I have tried all three and my buns went crazy for INGS and T&R but soon went off it :( they only get H4P meadow as a treat as we normally use baled farm meadow hay :thumb:

They do a trial pack so you can sample 3 of their hays. We did that and then just bought the one they liked best (Ings). You're right though - they do like a change every now and then!

Stupid thing is, I actually did this a few months ago and I can't for the life of me remember which one they liked :oops: I know they weren't overly keen on the meadow, I remember they really liked the ings and the t&r but I know they LOVED one of the two and I can't remember which! I wondered if there was a clear favourite from other RUers :D

I think ings is quite soft similar looking to meadow hay (correct me if I'm wrong) and the T&R is very firm, stick like - does that help?

I've just received a sample from them. They do love it, but the price makes me pull a face a bit like this: :shock:
:lol:

That must be the same face my boyfriend pulls once a month when the hay arrives :lol:

he sorts the credit card bill out and I'm always in trouble :p

I think ings is quite soft similar looking to meadow hay (correct me if I'm wrong) and the T&R is very firm, stick like - does that help?

That does help actually, thank you. They tend to like the stalky stuff. Also the fact that you've said it's not very dusty is swaying me too.

Thanks all for your replies.

Hmm, ings and tim&rye seem popular. Think I'm going to go with the T&R to start purely based on the fact that Alvin'smummy said it's not too dusty, which should be good for misfit.

Thanks for all your opinions I hate trying to find new hay for them, missy is sooooo fussy!

Oops sorry all one more question before I order - how big are the bags of hayforpets hay? I.e. Are they quite tightly packed or not? We already have a 15kg bag of readigrass and a full-sized bale of hay in the shed. The big bags are obviously much better value but I fear OH may leave me if I get another huge bag of something :lol:

I absolutely say Timothy and Rye. Very long and stalky and smells lovely! Also my rabbits adores it haha.

The Ings is a grassy green hay, quite fine, the T&R is stalky and golden.

Mine prefer the T&R by miles. Get the biggest bags as they are much better value! 9.5kg is roughly half a normal bale I think. It is as tightly packed as a normal bale, so not massively compressed, but not loose.

When I first bought the Timothy and rye hay I couldn't get over how big the bag was compared to the little 3.5kg we usually get from a pet shop. They love it because it's nice and stalky. :D

Back