• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much hay should my 2 rabbits eat?M

madcatwoman

Mama Doe
They weigh 2kilos each.

They have pellets for breakfast, veg/fruit for tea.

I buy 2 x 1kilo packs of hay and it just about does the week, I fill a planter twice a day, now they dont eat it all and every night whats left from the mornings planter is swept up andd used in the litter tray, but I just wondered if I was being over generous?

I have just had a sample pack from Hay4pets and the little bags made me wonder if that was classed as a days requirement, in which case I am giving them way too much. They loved the timothy/rye from them so I am going to order some its loads cheaper than the burgess one

You can't be over-generous with hay so you can give them as much as they will eat as in the wild rabbits would spend a lot of time foraging and chewing grass etc, keeping their teeth worn down. The hay will keep their teeth worn down, their digestive system working well and it helps to pass the time. I am not surprised they love the Timothy/Rye hay, it seems to be one of rabbits' favourites.

Those hay4pets bags are tiny they should definitely eat more than that. One of mine eats 3-4 hay rack fulls by herself every day :? She is a little hay monster but doesn't eat much else and is very healthy.

Back