• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rudy Has Stopped Eating Hay

Motty

Alpha Buck
Over the last few weeks my little nine year old, head tilt bun, Rudy, has gradually stopped eating hay. He continues to eat his veggies, pellets and fiba sticks, he is also eating grass and what little I can forage for him. It's just hay he's stopped eating.
I've tried various different hays (I've got Burgess with marigold coming tomorrow) and also Timothy Readigrass, he's not having any of them. Obviously his poos are now tiny, black and hard. Last week I took him to the vets (Sergio at Rutland House) he could not see any teeth issues that would cause this, but suggested a course of loxicom, just in case Rudy was in pain, but the loxicom has made no difference.
I've upped the amount of veggies and herbs I give him to keep his tummy moving, but this has the negative effect as Holly bun is overeating on these.
I'm just wondering if anyone has ideas that I haven't tried yet?
As always, thank you for your advice
Richard

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

I'm sorry that Rudy isn't eating hay. Is he eating everything else with the same enthusiasm as normal, especially the grass?

Grass, readigrass and hay all require the same teeth action, so that would seem to indicate it's not teeth. Pain relief hasn't helped either, which suggests it's not hurting him to eat hay.

I'd give him as much grass and forage as you can. If he likes Fiba first, I think I would replace the pellets with Fiba first as well. Also maybe try one of the hay cakes, for him to nibble, in the hope that he doesn't recognise it as hay.

It's a puzzle isn't it.

I would go for grass in place of hay if he's eating that ok. The grass is starting to grow now, and things like dandelions are doing well round here.

I'm sorry to hear somethings ailing Rudy, Motty. I had this going on with Mousey - she'd visit the toilet, wee & come back out with not so much as a nibble. She did eat tiny quantities of Haybox soft & Burns green oat hay but nothing of significance. I'm wondering how Rudey's kidneys are, as an older EC bun. I agree about feeding as much fresh forage as possible . i saw green on a Hawthorn tree today!

Sending vibes for Rudy. I hope his poo will get better with reduction in pellets and increase in fibafirst.

Hi Guys
Thanks for the replies and the feedback.
Rudy is not really tackling the grass with gusto, but the pile gradually gets smaller overnight. I will learn more once it's warm enough to pop him outside, as he was always very enthusiastic about eating fresh grass when out there. He still polishes off his veggies and herbs very quickly and comes begging for fiba sticks and pellets.
I think I will stop the loxicom and hope he continues to eat without that assistance. As they both need their vaccinations soon, I will arrange a follow up visit to the vets for the vaccinations and perhaps we might be lucky enough to see Molly.
Rudy is the first bun that has lived this long in my care, so I've not experienced the elderly bunny problems first hand before, I'm just pleased that it's not the middle of winter as finding forage then would be extremely difficult.
Thanks again for your help
Richard

It could be a tooth problem that isn’t visible, my last bunny had spurs and ulcers in his mouth that weren’t visible until he was under anaesthetic for his dental. So if it continues it might be worth further investigation.

It could be a tooth problem that isn’t visible, my last bunny had spurs and ulcers in his mouth that weren’t visible until he was under anaesthetic for his dental. So if it continues it might be worth further investigation.
This is usually my experience with Raven, yet after his latest dental he is slow returning to eating much hay. Plus he no longer begs for a piece of garden stick treat.
I wonder if he has memories of hay hurting?

Last edited:
Thank you for help. I think the vet suggested the loxicom in case Rudy had an unseen tooth problem, also he is still eating grass, forage, veggies, pellets and fiba sticks.
Their vaccinations are due in a week or so, I'm taking them to Molly later today to have those and to see if she has any other suggestions.
Richard

Just to update this thread in case anyone searches for it in future.
The trip to the vets wasn't as positive as I hoped. Molly can feel "something" in Rudy's abdomen, possibly a tumour. Whilst he could be sedated and have a scan, whatever the scan showed she would not recommend operating on him due to his age and physical condition. The refusal of the hay could be due to him looking for additional moisture in his food.
He looks to have a reasonable quality of life at the minute, as long as this continues and he's happy with his fresh grass and forage, I can delay any decision.
Richard

Really sorry to hear this update about Rudey, but sounds a sensible plan. Sending lots of vibes for your boy and may he stay as comfortable as possible for as long as possible xx

I'm sorry to hear your update Motty. I respect Molly's approach & reasoning - he is a lucky bun to have you all on his side.

Keep on doing well, enjoying your forage & cuddles with Holly, Rudy boy:love:

Thanks you for checking in J&B, he's still with us.
He's eating grass and fresh forage and herbs, but his poos are very small, hard, black and sometimes strung together with fur. All the extra fresh food is resulting in more wee everywhere, so I am wondering if he's become incontinent.
I think that he still has a reasonable quality of life, he certainly enjoyed an afternoon outside in the sunshine, hopefully it will be warm enough for them to go out later today.
Richard

I am glad Rudy is still enjoying his grass and forage. The dark color of the poo is probably just from diet and nothing to cause concern. If they were black and tar like-shiny/sticky/smelly it may need to be checked. It is good he is passing the fur in his poo.
Sending him lots of vibes that he will continue to enjoy life for a long time.

Thanks you for checking in J&B, he's still with us.
He's eating grass and fresh forage and herbs, but his poos are very small, hard, black and sometimes strung together with fur. All the extra fresh food is resulting in more wee everywhere, so I am wondering if he's become incontinent.
I think that he still has a reasonable quality of life, he certainly enjoyed an afternoon outside in the sunshine, hopefully it will be warm enough for them to go out later today.
Richard

i'm so pleased he is still enjoying life, especially nice to hear of him enjoying Spring sunshine with his girl . Wishing him more nice days and forage feasts

Back