• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Roly Rabbit 23/03/12

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
I've never written a tribute to any of my pets before but as Roly was a rabbit and this is a rabbit forum I guess it'd be appropriate this time.

Anyway Roly where do I begin with you...

In 2008 I started working for a company that did talks on animals for children. I didn't know it but they were a horrible company and they didn't care about the animals they used. This was blatantly obvious when I met you for the first time as you'd been under the “care” of one of their employees.

Your white fur was yellow and brown in places, you didn't care about being picked up and you felt like a tiny bag of bones. Despite being told that I wasn't having rabbits but instead had to choose between rats, gerbils and guinea pigs I said there and then I'd take you. Mum went nuts but when she seen the state you were in she didn't object to you being brought home.

Here's what you looked like
roly_rescue001.jpg

It became clear that despite your sad start you loved children and you certainly didn't mind being fussed over at schools, nurseries and clubs. You especially loved my cousin and she was one of the many people that loved you too. You were very popular with people of all ages. One day we visited an old folks home in Fife and an old lady sat with you on her lap for ages while she spoke to you and stroked your fur. The staff seemed amazed and I later found out that the lady hadn't spoken to anyone in months.

When your run was sorted out we adopted Honey to keep you company. She loved you a lot though you somehow always gave the impression you didn't love her as much. She'd wash your face for 5 minutes then you'd lick hers once or twice then run away. You always had the habit of trying to mount her when she was ill as well you nit. The last time you tried this she got so annoyed she bit your bum.

P1010804.jpg

You did come to love each other properly though
roly_honey_snuggle001.jpg

After I'd served my time with the company I got you from I got a letter from them demanding you be given back. Needless to say we threw that letter away and you stayed with us. This allowed me to set up my own business doing the same work but it meant I could preach about giving rabbits enough space, neutering / spaying and vaccinations. You were still popular as ever though Honey never liked being fussed so you always had the limelight.

It seems so unfair that you died on the day the clocks went forward so you never got to see the lighter nights after the winter. I'm so sorry we didn't take you to a better vet but Honey is now registered with the best vet in the country. We're hoping that a complaint to the vet will at least ensure they review their way of treating bloat in rabbits so no one else's bunny need suffer the same “treatment” as you.

Sleep tight my floppy eared rat-bag, I hope you're having fun wherever you are now.

What a very handsome Bunny he was. I am so sorry that he could not win his fight to get better, you both tried so hard

Binky Free Roly xx

I'm so sorry. :( Words seem so inadequate, but your tribute to Roly has brought tears to me eyes. xxx

Back