• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

They want to send him home? He's gone

willowflower27

Mama Doe
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...t-wont-eat!-UPDATE-impaction-surgery-required

Many of you have seen my previous post and know how poorly Finley is well the vets phoned this morning and he's stable and comfortable but won't eat on his own so they'd like to keep him in today and try him in his own environment tonight

What will his after care involve I'm keen to have him home and see if it'll help him improve but I want to make sure I'm prepared and that i'll be the best pets to look after him else I will leave him at vets

Last edited:
Has he poo'd overnight ?

Is he still on fluid therapy (IV or SQ) ?

What meds have they got him on ?

Findings on examination- gut sounds? Pain ? Lungs OK ?

Sorry for rushed reply

He's passed a few tiny poos overnight.
They have him on iv fluids at the moment but they are planning to stop that later today if he remains hydrated and they will send him home with something for his water?
He's on metacam,zantac,metocloprimide,vetergesic and fibreplex which they would be happy for me to inject (not the vetergesic he'll be given that before he comes home)
He has gut sounds they are reduced but present he appears to be pain free but vet said it was hard to be certain as he hides it well,lungs are clear and he's busily trying to remove his drip line so she says he's a lot better
She says home care will involve intensive nursing but didn't day what it would involve.
I will only have him overnight then he goes back in morning for check up

He's passed a few tiny poos overnight.
They have him on iv fluids at the moment but they are planning to stop that later today if he remains hydrated and they will send him home with something for his water?
He's on metacam,zantac,metocloprimide,vetergesic and fibreplex which they would be happy for me to inject (not the vetergesic he'll be given that before he comes home)
He has gut sounds they are reduced but present he appears to be pain free but vet said it was hard to be certain as he hides it well,lungs are clear and he's busily trying to remove his drip line so she says he's a lot better
She says home care will involve intensive nursing but didn't day what it would involve.
I will only have him overnight then he goes back in morning for check up

Does he cope OK with travel ? If not, would transporting him home set him back ?

Analgesic cover from Vetergesic only lasts about 6 hours so I would be concerned about adequate analgesic cover overnight

Is he not on a covering abx ?

I have known many rabbits make remarkable recovery once back home in their own environment so I think this is a very sensible suggestion PROVIDED you feel confident in taking over his care. I would want him sent home with extra fluid popped under the skin and if necessary pop him back (provided he travels well) every 12 hours for more sub-cut fluid and vetergesic if necessary. Good luck and I hope he feels better soon. Fantastic he has passed a few dry droppings, this will be at the end of the gut, you've now got to get the new stuff through from the top. xx

Yes sometimes there is no place like home!! Its still a very critical time so as long as you feel confident in administering the various drugs and you know he is being hydrated and adequate pain relief its worth a try.

This is a link to a recent similar story from Tuckerbunnies. I know when mine are poorly I find comfort in reading similar threads http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...or-Rosie-Please-Blockage-100-better-UD-p.-114 but this is only one example and as I think Jane said on there, all bunnies are different and can respond in different ways, you have to go with your gut instinct to tell you how your own bunny is doing and what they might need.

Sending lots more good wishes for Finleys speedy recovery!

Ok so I decided to bring him home he gets stressed without his partner ( unfortunately his wifebun takes stasis when kept at vets so she did not go in with him)
The vet is only 5 min down the road and open all night for emergencies, he's been sent home with vetergesic for me to give orally? is that ok every 6-12 hours depending on how sleepy it makes him, antibiotic (baytril) twice daily, ranitidine every 8 hours emeprid every 6 hours (all by injection) he had a little bit extra sub cut fluids at 6pm tonight and i've just to tempt him with anything he'll eat.
He seems to be more interested in his veg than hay how much veg can he have? should i still syringe him or will that discourage him from eating?
He seems quite happy he's pottering around the dog crate and he's humped the wifebun and cuddled up beside her, he looks good but he has a long way to go
is there ANYTHING obvious i should do
i've kept him warm, extra blankets etc
got a mini hospital sheet monitoring his fluid intake/output
and checking for poop
Have i missed anything?

ok he's home spoke to vet not the one that did the surgery and she said that it wasn't an op that should have been done and i should prepare myself for peritonitis and death?
is she right the original vet said it was a must do and also having seen the ingesta from his stomach there was a bit of blanket which i presume was the problem and obstruction so i assume could not have been left?
i'm so scared that i've done the wrong thing!!!

ok he's home spoke to vet not the one that did the surgery and she said that it wasn't an op that should have been done and i should prepare myself for peritonitis and death?
is she right the original vet said it was a must do and also having seen the ingesta from his stomach there was a bit of blanket which i presume was the problem and obstruction so i assume could not have been left?
i'm so scared that i've done the wrong thing!!!

The only other option to surgery would have been PTS

Yes, peritonitis is a possibility. But if you can get him to 48-72 hours after surgery then that may not happen. The other risk is post surgical adhesions.

He has had the op now and it sounds as though he is fighting. So just fight with him, keep food going in-little and often and maximise his fluids. Syringing 10-20ml water orally every hour may be a good idea.

I would try to prevent him doing anything too strenuous, so try to stop him humping wifebun

thank you for the reply i will try the fluids it juat came as a bit of a shock as the vet that did the surgery never mentioned that what would be the signs to look for

Hes passed a few normal looking poos in amongst all the tiny ones and is nibbling on grass and leafy greens he's a bit quiet but I wonder if that's the vetergesic as it does make him sleepy, I used the stethoscope the vet loaned me and he does have good gut sounds.
I continue to stay hopeful the vet is coming here at 9 to check him so I don't need to transport him

He sounds like he's doing great so far :thumb: and it must be coming up to about 48hrs since the surgery! What a little trooper he is! I hope to see some more positive updates soon :D

Having seen what came out of him, I'm sure you now know in your heart you made the absolute correct, and very brave, decision!

Vet came this morning temp is normal,chest clear wound good gut sounds present but I've to keep on with the prokinetics til poos look normal and he's eating better right now he's only eating grass and greens nothing much else I'm reducing the vetergesic and syringe feeding only morning and night and crossing fingers vet said if I get to 72 hours then he may make a full recovery

He's stopped eating again and he has limited gut sounds he's been taken back into the vets I'm preparing for the worst and contemplating pts as its not really fair anymore he's on iv fluids and more meds and syringe feeding if he doesn't perk up by tonight it might be best to let him go. I am so upset he was doing so well and he's still very bright temp is normal just refusing to eat/drink.
Anyone any ideas what could cause this? He's on vetergesic and doesn't appear painful no tooth grinding etc my vet is stumped he doesn't think this is necessarily related to the operations but possibly something else could he be that unlucky all bloods have come back normal liver/kidneys working fine and be passed normal size poo this morning around 6 am then nothing just sat there staring at the wall?

He's stopped eating again and he has limited gut sounds he's been taken back into the vets I'm preparing for the worst and contemplating pts as its not really fair anymore he's on iv fluids and more meds and syringe feeding if he doesn't perk up by tonight it might be best to let him go. I am so upset he was doing so well and he's still very bright temp is normal just refusing to eat/drink.
Anyone any ideas what could cause this? He's on vetergesic and doesn't appear painful no tooth grinding etc my vet is stumped he doesn't think this is necessarily related to the operations but possibly something else could he be that unlucky all bloods have come back normal liver/kidneys working fine and be passed normal size poo this morning around 6 am then nothing just sat there staring at the wall?

Post surgical adhesions probably :cry:

I am really sorry that things are not going well now :cry:

Back