• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

They want to send him home? He's gone

Are adhesions fixable/recoverable ? Will the fluids etc help or once they've formed is that it?

I will be honest, they are not good news :cry:

Certainly more surgery to remove them is not something I would contemplate as they will just form again. Rabbits do tend to have much more problems with post surgical adhesions in the GI tract, especially if the intestines had to be 'handled' and moved about a lot during the op'.

If the original obstruction was positioned at the outlet of the stomach (the pylorus) then it could be a pyloric stenosis you are deaing with. Again, more surgery would just go the same way :cry:

I am so hoping for a miracle and that Finley can defy all the odds xx

I am to as far as I'm aware they didn't handle the intestines at all the blanket was stuck at the entrance To the gi tract which was why all the food backed up behind it if its a stenosis. Can that be started again I wish I had the money to go for referral as the edinburgh vet school isn't far but I'm not sure even if it was possible it'd do any good
I feel so guilty I never give him blankets so It never occurred to me he might have an obstruction which led to the dental which led to more slow down in guts it wasn't til after the op that I noticed part of my snuggled blanket was missing I feel like an awful mum. :(

You have done everything you can for him. You can't blame yourself, they always eat things they shouldn't. I hope he starts to improve soon. X

Sending lots of vibes that he manages to pull through.
Thinking of you.

You have done everything you can for him. You can't blame yourself, they always eat things they shouldn't. I hope he starts to improve soon. X

^^^^ This!
Please don't blame yourself. Sending lots of vibes for Finley and hugs for you xxx

Please don't feel guilty, you've done everything you can for him. I hope he can fight this. Sending vibes for Finley and hugs for you xx

I've been to visit and he took a little bit of celery from me and he looks quite bright the gut sounds are still reduced but not any more reduced since this am so stable so at continue for the moment and have everything crossed

No the dose reduction was to start this am but I never did I just took him straight to vet there has been a tiny poo but at least it was something

No the dose reduction was to start this am but I never did I just took him straight to vet there has been a tiny poo but at least it was something

Ah, I just wondered if the not eating was due to him feeling more pain as a result of less Vetergesic

Have they done another abdominal U/S on him today ?

Awe no I was hoping for a positive update he's been doing so well bless him! I have everything crossed he can get through this and make a full recovery! You must be completely frazzled!! Come on Finley, little man you can do this!

I wondered that as well but to be honest I'm clutching at straws, he's had xrays and an ultrasound and it all looks normal there is poo to come out and food in his stomach it just doesn't seem to be moving there giving max dose of everything and have added in cisapride I think is what vet said, he's really trying but his gi tract just isn't working my vet is at a loss it all looks like it should be from all the tests they've done she has mentioned referral for an endoscopy bit honestly questions if he'd make it as he would need sedition/anaesthetist
I'm not sure what to do he's still bright and still fighting so I feel the least I can do is fight with him

I wish I had some advice for you, but all I can say is I hope he can pull through. Lots of vibes being sent for Finley, it sounds like he is still fighting xXx

Thank you all for the kind words and support I hate the waiting although I know he's in the best place I miss him so much and his wifebun does to but she's a total stress head so can't go with him or else I'd have two stasis buns so me and her ate waiting by the phone watching rubbish tv I'm eating my way through chunky kit kats and she's munching fenugreek crunchies and looking miserable :cry: the vet has promised to phone me at anytime if he deteriorate s so I can get there if need be to be with him in final moments I'm praying that call doesn't come and I can visit again in the morning

glad you've got each other for company.
Sending oodles of hugs and vibes.

Back