• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Zealands

piperknitsRN

Young Bun
I just adopted a New Zealand white, and he's so calm and mellow for a youngster that I wonder if he really is all that young or is a mix of some other kind of bunny... any way, doesn't matter, he's now getting on great with Olive (my Holland Lop). I'm writing to find out other people's experiences of New Zealand bunnies--I didn't think I would, but I'm really in love with this breed now and would love to hear other people's thoughts!

I thought it was going to be a comment on the rugby on bbc1 :oops::oops::oops:

Glad that your new bunny is so good though:lol::wave::wave:

I'm not sure how popular new zealands are in America but a lot of REW cross breeds could look like a new zealand, if you really wanted to know you'd have to take him to a judge or breeder

I can't think of any on the forum except the 'REW Eight' which I believe are rescued lab rabbits (Can't remember the full story) so most likely new zealands :) Then again there can be a huge difference in general temperaments between breeds in different parts of the world

That's australia on bbc1 !!!:lol: I haven't got any experience of them other than I saw some destined to be eaten :cry: they are lovely looking bunnies I think I have no doubt as with all the breeds they'll have their own little personalities, best of luck nice to know yours is well loved & going to be able to live a full life :D

That's australia on bbc1 !!!:lol: I haven't got any experience of them other than I saw some destined to be eaten :cry: they are lovely looking bunnies I think I have no doubt as with all the breeds they'll have their own little personalities, best of luck nice to know yours is well loved & going to be able to live a full life :D

:lol::lol::lol: Can you tell I'm not really watching it?:lol::lol::lol: Its on as background noise to drown out the :censored: fireworks :lol::lol:

I'm not sure how popular new zealands are in America but a lot of REW cross breeds could look like a new zealand, if you really wanted to know you'd have to take him to a judge or breeder

I can't think of any on the forum except the 'REW Eight' which I believe are rescued lab rabbits (Can't remember the full story) so most likely new zealands :) Then again there can be a huge difference in general temperaments between breeds in different parts of the world

I think that, from what my memory says, the US have a lot of NZs, especially white ones, but also red, I think, and maybe black?

I would imagine, because they are a large breed, they are quite laid back, but I vaguely remember someone talking about them being very cheeky.

Lol Helen me too sat here on my phone - quite nice eye candy though :lol:;)

The game is in Hull next week...I am just sat here debating if I can afford to take the kids next week:love: deffo nice eye candy...I'm trying to do my files for work and keep getting very distracted:lol::lol::lol:

Simon is a former shelter bun who was transferred from yet another shelter, so I don't know his full story. The shelter estimated him at 2-4 months, but neutered him already, so I think he is closer to four months. That said, he only weighs about 3.5-4lbs, and I don't know if that would be consistent with a four month old New Zealand, so he very well could be a cross. He is an awesome bunny, though; I feel very lucky to have him. Olive's my Holland lop, and she's cheeky but good natured (well, bossy and good natured--I had her neutered when she was four months old, so no time to let the hormones do their behavioral monkey wrench act). NZW's are very common here in the states; bred for meat, fear and lab purposes especially, but popular in the pet trade, especially (and most unfortunately) during Easter season. It's immaterial to me if he's a cross or a purebred--it's really temperament that matters the most to me.

I have an 18 month old Female NZ, I adopted her 3 months ago and she's awesome :love: very calm and gentle, but also very inquisitive and lively! I do think they all seem to have similar characteristics from what I've read on here :wave:

Hi! My NZ loves to binky around the living room, and is excellent with his litterbox habits, gentle, and very laidback. I couldn't be happier with him!

The only trouble I have with Simon is when it comes time for nail trimmings. Obviously, like many bunnies, he dislikes it, but he also nips (gently) when I try, and he won't stay still for very long. Any suggestions?

:wave: hi, Daisy hates being picked up, but I think this is only because of the place I got her from :( they weren't very gentle handling the rabbits, and I think they made her scared of it :( so I never pick her up. If she needs anything doing i.e. Claws then I take her to the vets! She's very friendly though and if I'm kneeling down she'll come up and put her front paws on my shoulders and sniff all around my face :lol: :love:

Simon tolerates being picked up most of the time, but appears to hate being turned on his back (don't really blame him) so I have to find a different way of cutting his toenails or suffer the wrath of an unhappy bunny. He is very lively in the morning and loves to race around and binky like mad... so cute to watch!

Back