• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spenser's food diary

Spenser has decided he definitely doesn't like parsley. I buy the flat leaf type (more expensive) becuase I read somewhere it was lower in calcium than curly. I have a sneaking suspicion he would like the crispier curly variety. Mr McFlurry gets it - 2 boxes for a pound in Morrisons, and it keeps quite well.

I also tried Spenser with a little broccoli last night, which was also rejected. He's out of spring greens, so thank goodness for the strawberry leaves in the garden until I get to the shops.

I think Lord Spenser is suggesting that only "home grown" is up to standard ;):lol:

I think Lord Spenser is suggesting that only "home grown" is up to standard ;):lol:

Alas, no ... he didn't much care for our parsley plant (curly) last year. It was a softer kind of curly than the type Morrisons sell in little tubs. I have resisted the temptation to put them on this week's shopping list, but am holding the idea in reserve in case he goes off spring greens. I refuse to buy him cabbage on a regular basis becuase he will only eat the outer leaves, and I am SO FED UP with eating the rest. :evil:

Alas, no ... he didn't much care for our parsley plant (curly) last year. It was a softer kind of curly than the type Morrisons sell in little tubs. I have resisted the temptation to put them on this week's shopping list, but am holding the idea in reserve in case he goes off spring greens. I refuse to buy him cabbage on a regular basis becuase he will only eat the outer leaves, and I am SO FED UP with eating the rest. :evil:

Maybe he's just not a parsley fan? Carrot tops? Raspberry leaves? Bramble? Home grown rocket? :wave:

We used to have raspberry canes. I have beeen campaigning for their reintroduction for years. :roll: I really must get off my lazy butt and go foraging. My parents brought Spenser back some bramble leaves, but they had wilted (the leaves, not my parents) by the time they got back from the expedition and he wouldn't eat them. Some of our neighbours have much better dandelions than us, but it doesn't seem quite the thing to compliment your neighbours on their dandelions and ask if you can pick them for the rabbit. :lol:

We used to have raspberry canes. I have beeen campaigning for their reintroduction for years. :roll: I really must get off my lazy butt and go foraging. My parents brought Spenser back some bramble leaves, but they had wilted (the leaves, not my parents) by the time they got back from the expedition and he wouldn't eat them. Some of our neighbours have much better dandelions than us, but it doesn't seem quite the thing to compliment your neighbours on their dandelions and ask if you can pick them for the rabbit. :lol:

:lol::lol:

I have to say that all of the buns I've looked after love bramble & aren't fussed what condition they arrive in :shock: In fact they LOVE them when they've been dried & crispy. Like crisps I guess :lol: Hawthorn is another good one & easy to ID, plenty of it growing here now too :wave:

I'm afraid I would HAVE to go pick those dandy's ;)

... in the meantime I have crawled under a jaggy bush with newly-washed hair to access the only decent dandelion leaves in our garden for Spenser's elevenses. The things I do for that rabbit. :roll::lol: Actually, I am getting quite excited about this. I could save three or four pounds a week at this rate. :D

carlo won't eat veg that I have been holding too long, either :roll:

You are doing great Susie

I have banned my parents from cutting back the brambles in our garden this year as the bunnies like them so much :lol:

I'll be doing my usual Bramble Rambles for drying soon, and I'll send you some dried ones for His Lordship once I've got started properly :wave:

I have banned my parents from cutting back the brambles in our garden this year as the bunnies like them so much :lol:

I'll be doing my usual Bramble Rambles for drying soon, and I'll send you some dried ones for His Lordship once I've got started properly :wave:

He'll look forward to them - bunny crisps, as Fluffers says. :lol:

Spenser has been eating very well over the last couple of days, and I see a difference in his poos. A bit bigger, and not quite so dark. I know they will remain fairly dark ocver the summer as he will be getting daily access to grass, weather-permitting.

Spenser has just accepted a fenugreek crunchie. :D I think he heard a rumour I was going to give the packet to Mr McFlurry. ;):lol:

Spenser has just accepted a fenugreek crunchie. :D I think he heard a rumour I was going to give the packet to Mr McFlurry. ;):lol:

:lol::lol: noones taking spensers treats ;) iv been giving lots of crunchies today to get poppys trust back ;) works a treat!

spenser still nomming lots?

Thanks for asking about him. :wave: Spenser is eating his pellets very well, and his greens much better than before. He has taken a dislike to one of his food bowls, and takes great delight in tipping it up if I use it. :roll: I tried him with dill earlier in the week, and he was not impressed.

Spenser: Mummy put a nasty green feathery thing in my hutch. It was smelly so I didn't eat it. She gave me one tonight again, silly Mummy. At least she hasn't given me one of those hard orange things for a while.

Thanks for asking about him. :wave: Spenser is eating his pellets very well, and his greens much better than before. He has taken a dislike to one of his food bowls, and takes great delight in tipping it up if I use it. :roll: I tried him with dill earlier in the week, and he was not impressed.

Spenser: Mummy put a nasty green feathery thing in my hutch. It was smelly so I didn't eat it. She gave me one tonight again, silly Mummy. At least she hasn't given me one of those hard orange things for a while.

brill news :D ha ha i have china heavy big bowls as poppy finds it amusing tipping bowls over :roll::lol:
:lol: aww spenser mummys only trying to helps :) little casper likes basil, and has taken a liking to plantain and dandelions now they are nice and fresh :D
Its great news he is eating better now, he was just trying to scare you ;):lol:

Great news re. the pellet nomming :D I hope that his hormones have started to settle now and this is contributing to him feeling more relaxed etc :wave:

Back