• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Administering Fortekor

Lobo

Mama Doe
Our little rex is to start on Fortekor. We have been given the 5mg tablet but because he weighs less than 1Kg he only needs 1/10 of a tablet. We are going to ask our local chemist to crush each tablet and mix it with hopefully around 1ml of liquid so his dose remains small as we don't want to stress him with bigger amounts due to his heart condition.

Has anyone done it this way and if so, with what liquid was it mixed?

I can't find whether the Fortekor is water soluble or if it will remain in suspension.

Our little rex is to start on Fortekor. We have been given the 5mg tablet but because he weighs less than 1Kg he only needs 1/10 of a tablet. We are going to ask our local chemist to crush each tablet and mix it with hopefully around 1ml of liquid so his dose remains small as we don't want to stress him with bigger amounts due to his heart condition.

Has anyone done it this way and if so, with what liquid was it mixed?

I can't find whether the Fortekor is water soluble or if it will remain in suspension.

Over here there is a 2.5mg scored tab. Eddie has half a tab daily. It easily crushes and dissolves in plain water. I prepare each dose daily, I am not sure if pre-dissolving the tab would impact on the efficacy of the active ingredient :?

I've used this for a guinea pig. When I dissolved it in water I threw away the excess, but I believe some guinea pig owners keep the mixture in the fridge for 24 hours.

my vet used to mix a months supply for me, they used some sort of machine to grind them then put the amount of water in to give Pearl the required dose in ml. she couldnt give more because its prone to dry out, i also had to shake the bottle really well..

Thanks for all the information/tips.

He had his first dose today. I crushed half a tablet and mixed it with 0.5ml water which will give 5 doses but I'm only going to use one more and discard the rest until we can come up with a better solution.

Donnamt - it must have been so difficult for you with Pearl. We have only had this little boy for 4 days and it is so hard watching the effort he has to make to breathe. Fionn is a good boy with his oral meds, takes them with no problem and chases the syringe in case there is more on offer.:)

I will try and contact the manufacturers for information and suggestions, or maybe our local chemist might be able to help as well.

Thank you for the research Jane. If only that American combination was available here.

I cross-referenced the names enalapril is marketed under but have not yet found a commercial oral version, even searchng under paediatrics. In the Merck reference I found this of interest:

Extemporaneously Prepared
An enalapril oral suspension (0.2 mg/mL) has been made using one 2.5 mg tablet and 12.5 mL sterile water; stability unknown; suspension should be used immediately and the remaining amount discarded

Young TE and Mangum OB, “Neofax®, '95: A Manual of Drugs Used in Neonatal Care,” 8th ed, Columbus, OH: Ross Products Division, Abbott Laboratories, 1995, 85.

An enalapril oral suspension (1 mg/mL) has been made using 20 mg tablets and Bicitra®. Add 50 mL Bicitra® to a polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottle containing ten 20 mg tablets and shake for at least 2 minutes. Let concentrate stand for 60 minutes. Following the 60-minute hold time, shake the concentration for an additional minute. Add 150 mL Bicitra® to the concentrate and shake the suspension to disperse the ingredients. The suspension should refrigerated at 2°C to 8°C (36°F to 46°F); it can be stored for up to 30 days. Shake suspension well before use.

My vet does use a compounding pharmacist to supply some other drugs so it might also be an option, but I will ring the Fortekor distributors and find if they can shed any light.

Back